Most of the Motown act didn’t really do album cuts in their shows so it isn’t a surprise that the girls followed suit.
Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
I can see how my statement might have been confusing. I wasn't suggesting that the whole show be one album. When I said the whole album would have made for an excellent show, I was referring to the quality of songs to choose from. Both "Story" and "Sunrise" would have made great openings. And the other songs would have all made good choices for songs in the show.

The Supremes never could have done a show and not sung some of those old hits. And of course the 70s Supremes would need to sing their own hits as well. So no, a whole album show probably wouldn't have worked. However, RO had the longest runtime at about 37 minutes. NW, Touch and FJ all hover around the 30 minute mark. The argument could certainly be made that, if they had an hour set, they could have sung all the songs from their latest album, plus a couple of the old hits, the new hits, and a cover tune or two. The group never really capitalized off of their own new material. I'm not well versed in the show lineups as many of the rest of you, so I will definitely defer to more knowledgeable folks, but the only album cuts I know of that the Jean Supremes did in their show was "Tossin and Turnin", I believe "Loving Country" and I assume it's possible they were doing "Time To Break Down" since they did it on TV. That's way too little usage of their own catalog in an age where selling the album was arguably more important than the single.