Quote Originally Posted by telekin View Post
You're expecting Mary to write a minute-by-minute, blow-by-blow in her book? She was there, she's not a fan watching a video clip on an endless loop. There's nothing in her account that's wildly or even mildly inconsistent with that.
the motown 25 reunion wasn't simply a 2-sentence passage in mary's book. it was a full section and she did go into pretty lengthy detail about the events. Also i've clearly stated that i'm not privy to any info that the rest of us haven't received. i'm just speculating on the situation. based on what i've observed and gathered, i do not believe mary was simply an innocent victim of the whole evening, someone just there excited to reunite with her sister supremes. mary had an agenda, perhaps a justified one, but she clearly had some specific views on how the evening should unfold. even if she didn't necessarily pre-meditate "i'm going to steal the song from diana" i think she was approaching the event with a combative approach to the whole situation.

and part of that is quite understandable - she had been embroiled in legal battles with motown and berry for years at this point. and now they're just saying "hey girl - put all of that aside and come celebrate the glory of motown and berry" So i'm not saying there isn't context for why mary might have felt this way or reasons for her actions. but people seem to immediately point out that Diana was at fault for this travesty of a reunion. and she absolutely played a significant part in the problem and she greatly contributed to robbing the fans of something they were so dearly hoping for - a brief moment when their 3 supremes were together again.

but diana was not alone in the problems here