[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    no discredit to Berry for making the girls into superstars. but let's not forget the girls made him super wealthy too. there's always an emphasis on what he did for them and he did a lot. but let's not forget what the girls did for him and motown!

Diana, Mary and Flo had talent and superstar "it" that berry honed but didn't create. it was already there. and they most certainly put in the time and work too
    Agreed. Berry did a lot to make them a household name, but he never could have done that if the group hadn't already had that thing that made them special. Remember, the girls had almost two years worth of amateur experience when Berry finally signed them. And the ladies continued to put in the work. It wasn't Gordy on those stages and tv shows and in the studio recording song after song.

My question is always 1) Could Berry have found another group of girls to do what the Supremes did, 2) Could the Supremes have been noticed by other record execs who would have a vision that turned them into what they were? My guess is Gordy never would have found another group of Supremes, but I suspect the Supremes could have been noticed and guided far under someone else. Thankfully, either way, we'll never know, as I like the Supremes' story just like it is.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Agreed. Berry did a lot to make them a household name, but he never could have done that if the group hadn't already had that thing that made them special. Remember, the girls had almost two years worth of amateur experience when Berry finally signed them. And the ladies continued to put in the work. It wasn't Gordy on those stages and tv shows and in the studio recording song after song.

My question is always 1) Could Berry have found another group of girls to do what the Supremes did, 2) Could the Supremes have been noticed by other record execs who would have a vision that turned them into what they were? My guess is Gordy never would have found another group of Supremes, but I suspect the Supremes could have been noticed and guided far under someone else. Thankfully, either way, we'll never know, as I like the Supremes' story just like it is.
    i do think it was the perfect alignment of the stars. the Supremes were wonderfully talented but they also benefitted from the insanely mesmerizing and magical appeal of Diana Ross. Mary and Flo were way ahead of really any other girl group singer but Diana was truly unique.

but the Sups didn't write or produce their songs. HDH did that. so the talent of those men is different but equally as magical as the talent of D, M and F

And Berry brought it all together. through all of his devices [[good and bad, strong and questionable), he was the manager to help facilitate and make things happen.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post

but the Sups didn't write or produce their songs. HDH did that. so the talent of those men is different but equally as magical as the talent of D, M and F
    The importance of HDH in the Supremes story cannot be overstated. It's very interesting to ponder what would become of the group without them.