[REMOVE ADS]

The Waters: Claim

From their Facebook page:

The Waters have been heard on more recordings than anyone in the history of the music industry.

Wouldn't that be The Andantes?

According to Google, The Andantes have sung on more than 20,000 recordings.

The Waters Family have sung on 260 Gold and 100 Platinum albums. That's 360 × an estimated 12 tracks per album equalling a total of 3,120 songs. It didn't say how many flops their vocals graced, but I would still bet my money on The Andantes for total recordings. That includes both their Motown tracks AND their Motorcity tracks..
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 03-07-2024 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post

The Waters Family have sung on 260 Gold and 100 Platinum albums. That's 360 × an estimated 12 tracks per album equalling a total of 3,120 songs. It didn't say how many flops their vocals graced, but I would still bet my money on The Andantes for total recordings. That includes both their Motown tracks AND their Motorcity tracks..
    Does 20,000 seem a bit.....generous?

I think the water may have the Andantes because their recording history lasted much longer than the Andantes plus the Waters sang on a lot Motown recordings as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    I think the water may have the Andantes because their recording history lasted much longer than the Andantes plus the Waters sang on a lot Motown recordings as well.
    The Waters were reportedly on "Someday We'll Be Together", but what other Motown recordings were they on? You say there were a lot?

As long as we're on the subject, I've always been surprised that the Waters were allowed to record at Motown. Back in the '60s, unlike Sigma Sound Studios of the '70s, where any record company could send their artists to benefit from the Philly Soul sound, only Motown artists were allowed to record in Motown's studios. If that's true, how did the Waters get their foot in the door at Motown? Were they newly-signed to Motown in 1969, or were they an exception to the Motowners-only rule?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    This is a question I’ve asked before.

How many songs got recorded at Motown? That’s why I’ve asked if they are on every song.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I replied to your last comment, Mary, but it somehow didn't "take". Let's try it again. Yeah, 20,000 recordings is perhaps a tad generous for The Andantes, but I thought the claim made by The Waters was awfully high as well. When you add up the hundreds upon hundreds of released Motown recordings as well as the ton of previously-unreleased Motown recordings, who am I to argue? I'm stickin' with our gals -- The Andantes!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 03-07-2024 at 11:36 PM.

That's how Louvain Demps joined the Andantes, which would become perhaps the most important singing group you've probably never heard of. The trio sang background on more than 20,000 Motown songs, upward of 90 percent of the company's output before its 1972 move to Los Angeles.Nov 28, 2018

Courtesy of Goggle

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    That's how Louvain Demps joined the Andantes, which would become perhaps the most important singing group you've probably never heard of. The trio sang background on more than 20,000 Motown songs, upward of 90 percent of the company's output before its 1972 move to Los Angeles.Nov 28, 2018

Courtesy of Goggle
    Yep, that's right, Rob! 20,000 which is what I stated above in Post #2, courtesy of Google. That's why The Funk Brothers AND The Andantes were The Motown Sound [[regardless of who the featured artist was.)
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 03-08-2024 at 07:55 AM.

The Waters were reportedly on "Someday We'll Be Together", but what other Motown recordings were they on? You say there were a lot?

As long as we're on the subject, I've always been surprised that the Waters were allowed to record at Motown. Back in the '60s, unlike Sigma Sound Studios of the '70s, where any record company could send their artists to benefit from the Philly Soul sound, only Motown artists were allowed to record in Motown's studios. If that's true, how did the Waters get their foot in the door at Motown? Were they newly-signed to Motown in 1969, or were they an exception to the Motowners-only rule?
    They were on most of Rick James recordings, Hi Inergy, Jean Carne, Mary Jane Girls those are the first that come to mind and plenty of others I'm sure.

They were on most of Rick James recordings, Hi Inergy, Jean Carne, Mary Jane Girls those are the first that come to mind and plenty of others I'm sure.
    They're credited on Diana's To Love Again LP as well.

Really? I did not know that. Thanks for the info., rod_rick.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    They're credited on Diana's To Love Again LP as well.
    I wasn't aware of that, sans. So The Waters were with Motown during 3 decades: 1969 [[Diana Ross & The Supremes' "Someday We'll Be Together"; throughout the 1970s [[Rick James, etc.), and Diana's "To Love Again" in 1981. I hate to say it, but The Waters were with Motown longer than The Andantes!

Thanks for setting me straight on that.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 03-08-2024 at 08:25 AM.

Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 03-08-2024 at 09:39 AM.

I agree that the assertion of the Andantes recording on 20,000 tracks is indeed generous.

The Waters may have done more session work because they freelanced to many different labels. The Andantes recorded exclusively for Motown...unless the snuck away to some other labels here and there

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Jarvis View Post
    Now this is a very interesting thread. Thanks for this post especially

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I agree that the assertion of the Andantes recording on 20,000 tracks is indeed generous.

The Waters may have done more session work because they freelanced to many different labels. The Andantes recorded exclusively for Motown...unless the snuck away to some other labels here and there
    Didn't they sing BG on Jackie Wilson's "[[Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher"?

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Didn't they sing BG on Jackie Wilson's "[[Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher"?
    Goggle says yes

Not a singer but a drummer ... LA's James Gadson. I was in touch with him almost 40 years ago & wrote a mag article on him. In getting prepared to write the article, I asked James to name check the albums he played on back in the 70's. I couldn't believe all the Motown ones he then listed [[+ 100's of other LA recorded albums from the same period). This was after & towards the end of the period he was one of the creative forces in Watts 103rd St Band. He did take a break from studio work when he was touring the US & world with Bill Withers in 73 / early 74. Not sure if he was in the line-up of the Watts 103rd St Band that toured behind Bill Cosby in 1967. They were also Cosby's studio band in 67, playing on his successful take of Motown tune "Little Ol Man". Some of the Watts 103rd had been in Ike Turner's Kings of Rhythm ahead of joining the 103rd.

According to the entry for "Someday We'll Be Together" on the Don't Forget the Motor City site, the song was recorded in Los Angeles and not at Motown's Studio in Detroit. This means they could've used any combination of musicians & vocalists at thier disposal in L.A. So that explains how The Waters appeared on "Someday We'll Be Together" without being signed to Motown Records.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Yes, they did. The session was in Chicago so they along with James Jamerson, Pistol Allen, Johnny Griffin and Robert White went there to do it along it. They recorded several other songs for Jackie. For this session, Louvain Demps couldn’t go so it was Marlene, Jackie and Pat Lewis.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    According to the entry for "Someday We'll Be Together" on the Don't Forget the Motor City site, the song was recorded in Los Angeles and not at Motown's Studio in Detroit. This means they could've used any combination of musicians & vocalists at thier disposal in L.A. So that explains how The Waters appeared on "Someday We'll Be Together" without being signed to Motown Records.
    I think there is a mistake on DFTMC for this. The track was cut in Detroit with the Funk Brothers on June 13, 1969 and I believe it was intended for Junior Walker. All of the other recording info is unknown but it is likely Johnny Bristol took the track out to LA to have backgrounds and possibly Diana’s lead done out there. I always wondered where this claim the backgrounds were done by the Waters sisters originated from. In several track annotations it lists Julia and Maxine on backgrounds but it’s clear there’s more than just two women doing vocals.

There is an interview Merry Clayton did during the promotion of 20 Feet From Stardom where she says she was on the track with Clydie King, Venetta Fields, and Sherlie Matthews and specifically recalls Johnny Bristol asking her to sing soprano. And we know the Blackberries were being used frequently by Motown at this point, more so than the Waters were.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I think there is a mistake on DFTMC for this. The track was cut in Detroit with the Funk Brothers on June 13, 1969 and I believe it was intended for Junior Walker. All of the other recording info is unknown but it is likely Johnny Bristol took the track out to LA to have backgrounds and possibly Diana’s lead done out there. I always wondered where this claim the backgrounds were done by the Waters sisters originated from. In several track annotations it lists Julia and Maxine on backgrounds but it’s clear there’s more than just two women doing vocals.

There is an interview Merry Clayton did during the promotion of 20 Feet From Stardom where she says she was on the track with Clydie King, Venetta Fields, and Sherlie Matthews and specifically recalls Johnny Bristol asking her to sing soprano. And we know the Blackberries were being used frequently by Motown at this point, more so than the Waters were.
    I see; I do know that Johnny Bristol had wanted Jr. Walker & The All Stars to record "Someday We'll Be Together" but Walker turned it down and Berry Gordy suggested that it go to Diana Ross for the final recording credited to her & The Supremes. While the backing track for the song might've been done in Detroit, it is possible that the vocals were done in L.A. Thus they could've used either The Blackberries or The Waters for the backgrounds [or they could've used multi-tracking using just Julia & Maxine to beef up the backing vocals].

PS: Wikipedia's entry on "Someday..." credits Merry Clayton, Julia Waters-Tillman and Maxine Waters Willard on backing vocals and The Funk Bros. along with The Detroit Symphony Orch. on instrumentation [so you're right; the backing track Was recorded in Detroit].
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 03-10-2024 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Thanks for clearing that Up, Eddie. I had wondered about that for years. Now it all makes sense.