[REMOVE ADS]

Diana's Bizarre Response To A San Francisco Disco DJ's Plea For Help

----- Stumbled upon this one while reading about Bobby Vitteritti, the notorious in-house DJ at the Trocadero Transfer in San Francisco. [Voted national #1 DJ two years by Billboard magazine.]
    As a smart club would do, The Troc was playing two talented DJs against each other for the coveted role as "the" club's DJ. This went on for months and Bobby was getting tired of it.
    When he and a friend, who was a big fan of Diana Ross, saw her in concert in Vegas, they barged backstage and Bobby managed to plea to Diana to help him out by coming to the club to exhibit her support for him.
    So that's the set up ---

here's how Bobby himself tells it : [sorry website won't allow a cut and paste.]
    "And as it just so happens that was the same night Diana Ross shows up."

Read starting at the line in green that says
    Oh really? You've got to tell me more about that...

https://www.disco-disco.com/djs/bobby-v.shtml

What happens is a bit hard to fathom, but its Bobby's tale to tell so Ill take him at his word for it!!

Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-26-2024 at 03:27 PM.

Great read! Thanks for posting. I think I believe it probably happened. She has been known to be radio/dj/club friendly.

Loved reading this, Boogie.

^^ thanks folks!^^

so the whole scenario strikes me as bizarrely unlikely but also bizarrely wonderful should it be indeed true.

Some things here seem out of sync.

Start with this:
    It seems highly unlikely to me that Diana Ross would have a reel-to-reel tape machine set up for use in her home ...much less one she would bother with or even know how to operate when entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    ^^ thanks folks!^^

so the whole scenario strikes me as bizarrely unlikely but also bizarrely wonderful should it be indeed true.

Start with this:
    It seems highly unlikely to me that Diana Ross would have a reel-to-reel tape machine set up for use in her home ...much less one she would bother with or even know how to operate when entertaining.
    Heck, in the end she’s quite a bit like us, started modestly, just did the big headed thing in the 80’s, cracked a bit in the 90’s and has realized for a long time what she loves most and how lucky she is

Most importantly, she didn’t go the Whitney or Michael route

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    ^^ thanks folks!^^

Start with this:
    I knew several people that had Reel-to-reel tape machines in their homes. It was high end equipment at the time.

I had one myself . Used it to make tapes for a few stand-up bars in San Francisco. They are a bit of a hassle because you have to thread them, wind them through, and then catch the tape to the final reel. Also at times they'd wiggle off their track and crinkle into a #^@% tinseled mess. Hee haw!
    No .... I can't see Diana Ross threading the reels in the middle of her cocktail party. Maybe she had Jeeves do it??

I tried to find, but couldn't, Viteritti's SO MANY MEMORIES tape that she liked. I wonder what music was on it??

[thanks Mom & Dad forever for getting me my first reel-to-reel as my middle school graduation present. !!!]
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-28-2024 at 03:55 AM.

Another aspect that seems odd is how easily they stormed into her dressing room. Especially in a place like Vegas where I'm sure they had security well figured out. Seems like a hired bodyguard would be in trouble for letting them in and would be not doing his job even if he was familiar with one of them. [was Diana Ross that easily accessible then?]

Again , not saying it didn't happen.
    Maybe once backstage the bodyguard acts as a go-between and then asks Diana if she wants them to be let in

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    I knew several people that had Reel-to-reel tape machines in their homes. It was high end equipment at the time.
    My father had a reel to reel that he would bring out on special occasions. It was great to hear the various items he recorded, courtesy of his local barbershop.

I would assume that Diana had one, if for nothing else than to possibly listen to demos on.

[QUOTE=reese;791418]My father had a reel to reel that he would bring out on special occasions. It was great to hear the various items he recorded, courtesy of his local barbershop.

I would assume that Diana had one, if for nothing else than to possibly listen to demos on.[/Q

Absolutely I believe she would have had one, I seem to recall an interview where it was noted that she was listening to a demo tape or some such thing and asked the interviewer what he thought of it.

The Circle Star was in San Bruno 30 minutes south of SF. The airport is between the two.

So after her show there [let's say it ends at ten.] Now Diana has to unwind and do backstage business ....how soon will she possibly get out of there??
    Diana then either went all the way north to the Troc specifically, or perhaps she was staying in SF anyway. Going to The Troc though would not be like going around the corner from a Union Square hotel or anywhere else nice. It was in the warehouse district.

The timing might work because Bobby has stated he was working the early shift ....what time does the next DJ take over?? Since the 2nd DJ is the main attraction, my guess is either 11 or midnight. Probably midnight. Bobby has stated he had already been having a good night when she arrived.

So if Diana hustles she can make it. How does she even know any of this?? His schedule? Is he even there that night?? Her arrival was a complete surprise to the club ... and with no preparation ....how likely is this??

Then there's the audacity of charging into Diana's dressing room as an intruding stranger to specifically suggest to her that she ought to do you this rather involved favor so you can land a job. Diana was either very taken by the shear bravado of this youngster or ....well, I don't know what another option is.

So she decides, "Your wish is my command sire", and sort of magically pops in like Glenda the good witch and floats around one arbitrary night to fulfill his scheme.

Trouble is, I don't quite get what the scheme is ....what the hell does having Diana Ross show up to wave her wand around have even one iota to do with how good a DJ you are and why a club should hire you??

I don't know if I buy this tale... lol

That does NOT sound like Miss Diana Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I don't know if I buy this tale... lol

That does NOT sound like Miss Diana Ross.
    That's why I'm [kind of] scrutinizing it. Does Diana Ross seem like someone who's going to go that far out of her way to carve out a moment to drift through an unfamiliar club and wave briefly and disappear? [or would any celebrity ?? If this story were about Sylvester who lives right there in SF...yes that could easily happen ....]

OK one more wrinkle here then I'll give my theory as to what took place that night!

Bobby says here that he requests of Diana that she come to The Troc after she performs at the Circle Star. So that's a one night deal. [Maybe two...three ? but I don't think the Star worked that way ....artists blew in and blew out....it wasn't a hotel set up for residency ....]

So in all likelihood Diana performs for one night.
    Why then is Bobby putting her on his guest list every night as he suggests to the point that they are making fun of him ? IF she's going to show up afterward as planned, he knows exactly what night she'll be at the Circle Star.

Added:

Did some research: multiple nights very common at Circle Star...... as well as not. So far , don't see Diana Ross gig listed----

https://www.setlist.fm/venue/circle-...c.html?page=73
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-07-2024 at 12:15 PM.