[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Missing You

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    It may have had something to do with bad blood resulting from her decision to remix diana without his knowledge right before its release. He's said to have been seriously pissed.
    A possibility, though Bernard Edward’s seems to have forgiven her being he produced “Telephone” on SA, with Nile apparently the featured guitarist on “Its Your Move”.
    I have a feeling they would have been willing to produce the whole album if Diana had been up for it. Perhaps control issues still cast a shadow.
    It’s noteworthy that the album featured a grey album cover in the vein of “diana”.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    A possibility, though Bernard Edward’s seems to have forgiven her being he produced “Telephone” on SA, with Nile apparently the featured guitarist on “Its Your Move”.
    I have a feeling they would have been willing to produce the whole album if Diana had been up for it. Perhaps control issues still cast a shadow.
    It’s noteworthy that the album featured a grey album cover in the vein of “diana”.
    I'm still confused by who was the guitarist on IYM. People have said it's Nile but others say it's Jeff Beck so I don't know who's telling the truth [[though Nile is credited with playing guitar on the album).

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I'm still confused by who was the guitarist on IYM. People have said it's Nile but others say it's Jeff Beck so I don't know who's telling the truth [[though Nile is credited with playing guitar on the album).
    It is an odd one, unless Nile was hanging around the studio due to Bernard producing “Telephone”. Personally i have my doubts.
    As a whole i find the SA” album dull and uninspiring, receiving mainly negative reviews upon it’s release here in the UK. The only decent songs for me are, “SA”, “Missing You” and the brilliant Telephone”.
    One of the glaring faults with those rca albums being the weak tracks were particularly awful as opposed to just fillers as in the Motown years.

It is an odd one, unless Nile was hanging around the studio due to Bernard producing “Telephone”. Personally i have my doubts.
    As a whole i find the SA” album dull and uninspiring, receiving mainly negative reviews upon it’s release here in the UK. The only decent songs for me are, “SA”, “Missing You” and the brilliant Telephone”.
    One of the glaring faults with those rca albums being the weak tracks were particularly awful as opposed to just fillers as in the Motown years.
    i think Telephone is absolutely dreadful. it plods along with no direction and she sounds thin and whiney.

i agree that SA is a hodge podge but i think it holds together ok. SA, Missing, Touch, it's your move, all of you are all solid tracks. Rescue Me and Forever Young are ok enough but nothing great.

I know the song Nobody Makes Me Crazy is a bit controversial. many people HATE it but i don't mind it. most definitely NOT a single but i think it's fine enough for an album track.

Fight For It was apparently dropped from the album once she got permission to include All Of You. Frankly she should have dropped Rescue Me or Forever.

I think Children is cheesy but had they cut the horrible children choir, it would have been ok. it's full on 80s teen movie when there was some goofy montage action sequence of the nerds and the dweebs finally overcoming the stuck up snooty girls and jocks, to triumph in the climax of the movie. but it's not terrible - at least it had some potential.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i think Telephone is absolutely dreadful. it plods along with no direction and she sounds thin and whiney.

i agree that SA is a hodge podge but i think it holds together ok. SA, Missing, Touch, it's your move, all of you are all solid tracks. Rescue Me and Forever Young are ok enough but nothing great.

I know the song Nobody Makes Me Crazy is a bit controversial. many people HATE it but i don't mind it. most definitely NOT a single but i think it's fine enough for an album track.

Fight For It was apparently dropped from the album once she got permission to include All Of You. Frankly she should have dropped Rescue Me or Forever.

I think Children is cheesy but had they cut the horrible children choir, it would have been ok. it's full on 80s teen movie when there was some goofy montage action sequence of the nerds and the dweebs finally overcoming the stuck up snooty girls and jocks, to triumph in the climax of the movie. but it's not terrible - at least it had some potential.
    I don’t consider “We Are The Children” would ever have been ok lol.
    I think “Telephone” one of the best songs she cut in the 80’s. Her voice is high, but soulful and expressive. “Rescue Me” is utterly devoid of any soul or feeling whatsoever when compared to the terrific version by Fontella Bass.
    “”All Of You” only became popular owing to the fact it featured the immensely popular Inglesias. It would otherwise have fallen flat.
    The rest with the exception of “SA”, “Missing You” and perhaps “Touch” [[if you like bubblegum pop) sounds flat and uninspired
    The album garnered terrible reviews, with esteemed Motown historian and author Sharon Davis commenting “Why does she keep recording these awful songs”.
    I’m with Sharon on that one.

I think “Telephone” one of the best songs she cut in the 80’s. Her voice is high, but soulful and expressive. “Rescue Me” is utterly devoid of any soul or feeling whatsoever when compared to the terrific version by Fontella Bass.
    I used to love "Telephone", then I cooled off of it, now I really like it again. My problem with it is that it needed a total remixing. But it was definitely the type of song I would from her during this period.

She should have been slapped for what she did to "Rescue Me". Honestly, I'm not convinced there is anything she could have done differently to be a worthy cover of such a great song. Nothing about the original sounds like it was in her wheelhouse. But then again, I wouldn't have thought she could do anything good with "Tell Mama", but I was pleasantly surprised that, at best, she didn't mess it up.

Her 80s cover songs mostly have a cheesy karaoke feel to them. I would say the exceptions are "Selfish One", which I think is great, "Sweet Soul Music", which also surprised me at how well she did it, and "There Goes My Baby".

I like the album, with my favorites being the three you mentioned. I'm also rather partial...wait for it...to "We Are the Children".

But you are absolutely right, the weak tracks on the RCA albums are leaps and bounds worst than the worst of the ones on her Motown albums.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I like the album, with my favorites being the three you mentioned. I'm also rather partial...wait for it...to "We Are the Children".

But you are absolutely right, the weak tracks on the RCA albums are leaps and bounds worst than the worst of the ones on her Motown albums.
    Just for clarification, you actually like “We Are The Children”!!!. Perhaps she was taking advice from certain fans when compiling those rca albums. It would certainly be one explanation.

Just for clarification, you actually like “We Are The Children”!!!. Perhaps she was taking advice from certain fans when compiling those rca albums. It would certainly be one explanation.
    Children is definitely a product of it's time. lol very 80s sound but the track itself is also energetic and she commits to the vocals with more effort than other tracks. it's not a highlight of her discography but [[apart from the ill conceived child voices) it's hardly the worst she sounded on vinyl. IMO it's more enjoyable than most of Eaten Alive lp

Children is definitely a product of it's time. lol very 80s sound but the track itself is also energetic and she commits to the vocals with more effort than other tracks. it's not a highlight of her discography but [[apart from the ill conceived child voices) it's hardly the worst she sounded on vinyl. IMO it's more enjoyable than most of Eaten Alive lp
    It is very 80s. And like you, I've always thought it sounded perfect for some cheesy 80s movie, which is right up my alley. It's no "Swept Away", but I enjoy it for what it is.

I so disagree. I think the song without doubt the worst she has ever recorded in her long career. Along with “Rescue Me” it remains the low point of the album. It really was so not what she should have been recording at the time.
    Give me EA any day.