[REMOVE ADS]

Cliff sings Hey Girl [[not the Norman Whitfield song lol)

We've had threads on Cliff Richard before - some like him, some don't.

Some will love his version of "Hey Girl" - The Temptations song - from his TV show "It's Cliff" of 31st January 1970 and some obviously won't. That's life innit. Personally for me it's right nice.

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMO1e5gWvQM
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 02-23-2024 at 10:52 PM.

I think Cliff's version is pretty good.

But it is actually a Gerry Goffin-Carole King composition made famous by Freddie Scott. The Tempts also did a version on their CLOUD NINE album.

Doh - yes you're absolutely right - I get confused with my "Hey Girl"s lol - and I looked in the wrong place!

Oh well just let the thread sink naturally - at least I've amended the title lol
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 02-23-2024 at 11:00 PM.

I, too, like Cliff Richard. I have pretty much all of his CDs. For a white guy, his albums/CDs are amazingly good -- melodic, sweet and soulful.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Doh - yes you're absolutely right - I get confused with my "Hey Girl"s lol - and I looked in the wrong place!

Oh well just let the thread sink naturally - at least I've amended the title lol
    Ha ha! At first I thought you were referring to the Tempts' HEY GIRL [I LIKE YOUR STYLE]. Wonder if Cliff ever tried that one?

I like it! I haven't heard this song sung this way and it's a very nice change.

That Cliff Richard version is nowhere near as good as Freddie Scott's original version, or George Benson's cover of the song. While Freddie's and George's versions take on a little bit different approaches from a musical arrangement standpoint, with George having that beautiful exquisite musical intro, both Freddie's and George's vocal performances seem to be stronger and carry more conviction. You can hear and feel the love and passion that he has for the girl he's singing to. Cliff's version is a bit blahzay and feels a little bit contrived. The background vocals on Freddie's version are much nicer as well. They have a little bit of a Motown feel as I can imagine Martha & The Vandellas doing those vocals.

Hi!

Here's what Freddie Scott told me about "Hey Girl":

In '62 Gerry Goffin and Carole King wrote a tune called Hey Girl. Freddie: ”They brought the song to me – sounded like a country & western song – so I sort of changed it around. I went and did a demo on it, because they were originally gonna give it to Chuck Jackson. Something happened with Chuck – I had no idea what it was – so we came back to the studio and started working on it again. It laid on a shelf for awhile. I was more interested at that time being a writer and a producer. But I went back in and finished the record. Finally they put it out, and the rest is history.”

When the record was eventually released – after being in the can for almost a year – it went all the way to top-ten, both r&b and pop. Hey Girl is a big-voiced, `shouter' ballad, soulfully and powerfully delivered by Freddie. The single was produced by Gerry Goffin – arguably Phil Spector participated in the final mix – and the background vocals were delivered by the Cookies, who were to provide their services also on Freddie's future releases. Arrangement credits go to Gary Sherman, who was another one to work with Freddie through the 60s. ”Gary Sherman was working at that time for Al Nevins. We met, I started going to his house and we just started working on things. I just liked him, and we became buddies.”

Best regards
    Heikki

Thought you might listen to Freddie's "Hey Girl" [Love It] Thanks to Heikki.

Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 02-26-2024 at 12:05 PM.

Great song. Liking Cliff's delivery. Donny Osmond took it Top 10 in 1971 in the US as his third remake in a string of many . It wouldn't be until the next single after that he'd become a darling in the UK.

Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-26-2024 at 03:13 PM.

Cliff Richard has about as much soul content to his vocal delivery as a wet face cloth.
    I never got over him saying "I'm not finished" after the Beatles changed the UK [[& world) music scene.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    I never got over him saying "I'm not finished" after the Beatles changed the UK [[& world) music scene.
    He was right, of course.

I just wish he'd given up back there & then ... I'd have been spared a lot of musical nightmares.

Lol.

You don't have to listen to his music.

I like some of his music but not all of it.

An example of a track that I really like is "How Did She Get Here" from Something's Goin' On. If you can find this on Youtube, have a listen, and report back then I'd be very interested in your feedback.

it might not be what you expect.

I'd have been spared a lot of musical nightmares.
    Oh, you poor thing!! Perhaps there's some medication you could get for that, we don't want you suffering. Perhaps try a Summer Holiday this year, to help you sleep better when you get back LOL

jsmith: have a Wonderful Life!

Summer Holiday was my first 45 as a present from my parents after a painful dentist appointment when I was a kid.
    Cliff was my first idol before I heard the Supremes.
    Last edited by jack020; 02-28-2024 at 10:27 AM.

Here’s the Tempts’ version. A great arrangement and fab Paul Williams lead
    https://youtu.be/szZXmfA6BnY?si=DcDYq425b7wThj34

…and the other Hey Girl. Richard Street excellent as always
    https://youtu.be/9bmvW-QQjEo?si=ePfCsVgRsLYRlHW-

...Kenny Lynch also sang a soulful version...

Grape

We're out in Cyprus at present; high 60 degrees & constant sun.
    BUT we're not on a SUMMER HOLIDAY as that would bring back too many memories of Cliff and his awful film.

Sounds like you have a wonderful life. Are you there with the young ones?

We're out in Cyprus at present; high 60 degrees & constant sun.
    BUT we're not on a SUMMER HOLIDAY as that would bring back too many memories of Cliff and his awful film.
    He's gone where the sun shines brightly,
    He's gone to where the sea is blue,
    He's seen it in the movies,
    Now he's gone to see if it's true

LOL Don't get too sunburnt fella, On The Beach

You Travellin' Light this year? Pack enough sun cream with you The Next Time, eh?
    Last edited by Starguard4; 03-04-2024 at 12:32 PM.