[REMOVE ADS]

Inside The Actors Studio

What a unique and joyful experience it is to watch this interview, with Diana giving an intimate perspective on things she had previously never really spoken of in any real depth.
    It's a shame the public rarely get to see this side of her persona, away from Diana Ross the superstar or proud mother.
    There must be a really good inside her book waiting to be written. Hope it’s not to long a wait.

it was a very enjoyable episode. hearing her discuss things in more detail than, say, the Oprah interview.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    it was a very enjoyable episode. hearing her discuss things in more detail than, say, the Oprah interview.
    The difference between Oprah and James Lipton is that Oprah was a fan girl and wasn't going to ask anything of Diana to cause waves. Her first appearance on Oprah was her best. Oprah was still kind of dishy, and got a little bit out of Diana that she wouldn't dare ask a decade later. James Lipton had a format and basically asked every guest the same questions, uncomfortable or not.

I never realised that James Lipton was married to actress Nina Foch who played the awful M’s Evan’s so wonderfully in Mahogany. I wish he had of mentioned it.

This and the Charlie Rose interview are my all time favs.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    This and the Charlie Rose interview are my all time favs.
    I would agree with that. She appears really relaxed during both.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    There must be a really good inside her book waiting to be written. Hope it’s not to long a wait.
    I hope for the same, Ollie. I very much enjoyed Barbra Streisand's autobiography. Knowing that Diana has always been inspired by Barbra, it recently led me to think that perhaps Barbra's comprehensive autobiography will inspire Diana to re-visit her own memoirs, hopefully with much more detail, insight and meaningfulness. Barbra's book showed how a person can be authentic and truthful in telling their own story, without being trashy, IMO.

I agree...the Inside the Actors' Studio interview was fantastic.
    Last edited by carlo; 02-22-2024 at 07:04 PM.

I never realised that James Lipton was married to actress Nina Foch who played the awful M’s Evan’s so wonderfully in Mahogany. I wish he had of mentioned it.
    He was also married to Kedakai Turner, who was Miss Scarlet in the Board game CLUE.

It’s been many years since I’ve seen this but I agree, her best interviews were this and Charlie Rose.

I saw a picture of Diana and Barbara Walter’s from the 1979 interview and it looks like they even coordinated their wardrobe.

Someone who has Diana’s eye should have the talk with her about a proper memoir - candid but nothing else. But I think it would only happen when she can’t tour and it doesn’t appear that she wants to say anything further

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I hope for the same, Ollie. I very much enjoyed Barbra Streisand's autobiography. Knowing that Diana has always been inspired by Barbra, it recently led me to think that perhaps Barbra's comprehensive autobiography will inspire Diana to re-visit her own memoirs, hopefully with much more detail, insight and meaningfulness. Barbra's book showed how a person can be authentic and truthful in telling their own story, without being trashy, IMO.

I agree...the Inside the Actors' Studio interview was fantastic.
    Pleased to hear the Bab’s book is a good one carlo I recently bought it for a friend’s birthday but haven’t read it yet myself.
    Just how candid Diana is capable of being i’m not to sure, but the Actors Studio interview at least proved she can open up on some aspects of her career.

Except for the part where she says Florence wanted to leave the group to start a family lol

Diana could barely acknowledge Mary Wilson's passing and the Supremes' Lifetime Grammy; you all expect her to write an entire book? Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Except for the part where she says Florence wanted to leave the group to start a family lol
    Talk about delusional. But at least she stopped saying Flo left to go into the antique business.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Diana could barely acknowledge Mary Wilson's passing and the Supremes' Lifetime Grammy; you all expect her to write an entire book? Lol.
    In answer, yes.

I think if her kids push and prod her to do it, and do it right, she might. I also, as I opined some time ago, think it's possible that she has a book written that will drop after she has passed on, because that seems like something she would do.

That being said, when it comes to the Grammy, looking back, I'm still disappointed she didn't show up, but whatever. As regards to Mary's passing, I think Diana had to tread very carefully because of the very public dust ups between them. If Diana said nothing, she would have been vilified. Had she written a long, gushing, nostalgic post, people would have accused her of being fake. She really was damned either way.

I don't know whether Diana cared even a little bit about the Grammy. I do believe she cared about Mary and was genuinely sad about her passing. Despite everything, the two of them went way back to a simpler and innocent time, before the world knew their names. I imagine the news hit Diana like a ton of bricks. But of course she wouldn't tell us that.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    She acknowledged Marys passing twice and I believe was shaken up by it. As for the Grammys she should have shown up or sent Rhonda.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    In answer, yes.

I think if her kids push and prod her to do it, and do it right, she might. I also, as I opined some time ago, think it's possible that she has a book written that will drop after she has passed on, because that seems like something she would do.

That being said, when it comes to the Grammy, looking back, I'm still disappointed she didn't show up, but whatever. As regards to Mary's passing, I think Diana had to tread very carefully because of the very public dust ups between them. If Diana said nothing, she would have been vilified. Had she written a long, gushing, nostalgic post, people would have accused her of being fake. She really was damned either way.

I don't know whether Diana cared even a little bit about the Grammy. I do believe she cared about Mary and was genuinely sad about her passing. Despite everything, the two of them went way back to a simpler and innocent time, before the world knew their names. I imagine the news hit Diana like a ton of bricks. But of course she wouldn't tell us that.
    Agree with everything you said RanRan.

Pleased to hear the Bab’s book is a good one carlo I recently bought it for a friend’s birthday but haven’t read it yet myself.
    Just how candid Diana is capable of being i’m not to sure, but the Actors Studio interview at least proved she can open up on some aspects of her career.
    I love Barbra but the book was about 500 pages too long imo and a tad too self indulgent.

As for the Grammys she should have shown up or sent Rhonda.
    Very much agree.

I love Barbra but the book was about 500 pages too long imo and a tad too self indulgent.
    LOL. I must admit, the size of the book has put me off buying it for myself having read other books on Streisand. Wouldn’t be a problem were it Diana’s.
    It seems to have had mixed reviews, with some bemoaning the fact there is to much focus on her wardrobe.

You have to expect that from these people that have their every want catered to and been idolized by a portion of the population fir 60 years or so, for a lifetime