[REMOVE ADS]

Luther Vandross' first two albums to be reissued!

Luther's first two albums, "Luther" and "This Close To You" will be reissued on vinyl, CD and digital, in April and June respectively.

They can be pre-ordered from the official Luther Vandross store [other retailers to follow].

https://shop.luthervandross.com/collections/new-in

The track "Funky Music [Is A Part of Me]" is now available on digital platforms.

I had no idea until today that Luther had two solo albums before "Never Too Much"! Putting aside the background work he had done for Bowie, etc., I had incorrectly thought his first real recordings were those early records he sang lead on for "Change"!

Was JUST about to post this great news!

Carlo, these aren't solo albums, but albums by his group called Luther. IIRC, there were 5 members, all of whom sang lead, but the group used his name...think Labelle [minus the glitz].

Fun fact: "Funky Music," penned by LV, was recorded with alternate lyrics as "Fascination" by Bowie for his Young Americans LP, on which Mr. Vandross is prominent on BGVs.
    Last edited by sansradio; 02-21-2024 at 01:19 PM.

Thank you for clarifying this, sansradio! I had no idea

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Thank you for clarifying this, sansradio! I had no idea
    Sure thing! Luther himself revisited a couple of the group's songs on his later solo outings, such as "The Second Time Around" and "Emotion Eyes."

I have these on vinyl but was waiting for years for a cd release!

https://theseconddisc.com/2024/02/21...orks-reissues/

Legacy Recordings has announced plans to deepen the legend of Luther Vandross with the first-ever expanded reissue of two long-unavailable albums recorded mononymously as Luther in the mid-'70s.
    Luther [[1976) and This Close to You [[1977) were originally issued by the Cotillion label but near impossible to find after Vandross finally found solo success in the 1980s, as he bought the rights to both releases back. With 2024 poised to be a big rediscovery year for the late icon - the documentary Luther: Never Too Much recently premiered at the Sundance Film Festival - both albums will be issued on vinyl, CD and digital, the latter two formats graced with four unreleased instrumentals and outtakes between each release. Luther will be available April 19, while This Close to You streets June 7; both titles and related merch are available at Vandross' official store.
    Luther, as an artist, was actually more than Vandross himself: it was a quintet featuring Vandross, Anthony Hinton and Diane Sumler [[both from the group Shades of Jade), Theresa V. Reed and Christine Wiltshire [[of disco outfits Class Action and Phreek). It was Vandross' songcraft on full display, though: Luther included "Everybody Rejoice" - heard the year before in the Broadway musical The Wiz - and single "Funky Music [[is a Part of Me)," which had been reworked the year before as "Fascination" on David Bowie's Young Americans. [[Vandross sang backing vocals for Bowie on that record and its subsequent tour, and would make similar contributions for an array of diverse artists before hitting it big as a solo artist, including CHIC, Ringo Starr, Cat Stevens, Bette Midler and others.) Another single, "The 2nd Time Around," was later re-recorded by Vandross on his 1988 album Any Love.

Vandross also produced both albums, recruiting Motown legend Paul Riser for arrangements and featuring his high school friend Nat Adderley, Jr. on keyboards for both records. Adderley, whose father and brother Julian "Cannonball" were both jazz horn greats, would contribute to nearly every one of Luther's solo albums up to his final bow, 2003's Dance with My Father. Taken together, these albums - predating not only 1981 solo debut Never Too Much but even 1980's chart-topping club favorite "The Glow of Love," which he sung for the disco group Change - mark the first major chapter in an incredible pop/R&B career, finally available for all to hear.

Luther [[Expanded Edition) [[Primary Wave/Legacy, 2024)
    CD: Amazon U.S. / Amazon U.K. / Amazon Canada
    LP: Amazon U.S. / Amazon U.K. / Amazon Canada

1. Funky Music [[is a Part of Me)
    2. The 2nd Time Around
    3. I'll Get Along Fine
    4. Everybody Rejoice
    5. Emotion Eyes
    6. This Strange Feeling
    7. It's Good for the Soul [[Parts I and II)
    8. The 2nd Time Around [[Instrumental)

Tracks 1-7 released as Cotillion SD-9907, 1976
    Track 8 previously unreleased
    This Close to You [[Expanded Edition) [[Primary Wave/Legacy, 2024)
    CD: Amazon U.S. / Amazon U.K. / Amazon Canada
    LP: Amazon U.S. / Amazon U.K. / Amazon Canada

1. This is for Real
    2. A Lover's Change
    3. Don't Take the Time
    4. Jealousy is in Me
    5. This Close to You
    6. Don't Wanna Be a Fool
    7. Come Back to Love
    8. Follow My Love
    9. Can't Get Enough Good Loving
    10. Come Back to Love [[Instrumental)
    11. Don't Wanna Be a Fool [[Instrumental)

Tracks 1-8 released as Cotillion SD-9916, 1977
    Tracks 9-11 previously unreleased

Carlo, see this list for a lot of records Luther had background vocals on:

https://luthervandrossearlyyears.wordpress.com/category/vocalsbackground-vocals/

Just a few....
    Last edited by jack020; 02-21-2024 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Luther, as an artist, was actually more than Vandross himself: it was a quintet featuring Vandross, Anthony Hinton and Diane Sumler [[both from the group Shades of Jade), Theresa V. Reed and Christine Wiltshire [[of disco outfits Class Action and Phreek).

Christine Wiltshire -- of Luther -- is the lead voice on Phreek's "Weekend" which is one of the greatest disco tracks of all time.

And here's the group Luther. [L-R: Diane Sumler, LV, Anthony Hinton, Christine Wiltshire, Theresa V. Reed.]

Last edited by sansradio; 02-22-2024 at 08:03 AM.

And here is that first album:

And here you can listen to This Close To You album:
    https://musicmp3.ru/artist_luther-va...se-to-you.html

Oh my goodness! I converted these two albums to play in my iPod many years ago! I can’t believe I will actually be able to get them on cd. After all these years. I’m so excited! It will also be a miracle to see Paulette McWilliams album “Never Been Here Before” show up

Quote Originally Posted by caliluv View Post
    Oh my goodness! I converted these two albums to play in my iPod many years ago! I can’t believe I will actually be able to get them on cd. After all these years. I’m so excited! It will also be a miracle to see Paulette McWilliams album “Never Been Here Before” show up
    I feel ya! Have you heard any whispers that Paulette's album might see the light of day again?

https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/...omments-198617

For European fans: price of LP cheapest at Amazon FR

I have both of the group Luther's LP's on Cotillion which I love. I once read that they will NEVER see the light of day in CD format. Thank Heaven that prediction was wrong!