[REMOVE ADS]

shifting tides - songs you used to hate/love but now...

so which songs have significantly changed for you? are there tunes that originally you didn't like at all but now have really grown to appreciate? or tunes that you used to love but now can't stand?

Time and love - for me this is about context. the Sup version is so out of place on the Touch lp that i always hated it. but then i was playing around with playlists for a "Stone Love" lp and moved it there. i don't love it but i find it much less problematic within the big sounds of the other tracks from NW

Floy Joy - this was probably my least favorite of the 70s hits. i still don't listen to it often but have come to enjoy. after the bigness of many of Frank Wilson's productions, the lighthearted and bouncy sound to FJ is a nice change

LOL I was actually planning on doing this thread. You beat me to it.

Okay, a few of mine:

"I Guess I'll Miss the Man"- I did not care for it at first. I thought it was boring. But over the years I have come to appreciate just how fantastic of a vocal- both Jean's lead and Mary's and Lynda's backing- the entire thing is and I now regard it as one of the finest moments in the entire Supremes catalog.

"There's No Stopping Us Now"- I loved this song. I played it all the time. I don't hate it now, but it's nowhere near as beloved to me as it once was.

"Run, Run, Run"- Oh how I used to love this one. Again, don't hate it, but at some point it moved way down on my list of go to Supremes songs. In fact, I wouldn't even list it on the "go to" list at all.

"Lovelight"- I actually hated this one. I never saw the appeal. Now I love it and play it every now and then.

"Can I Get A Witness"- Loved it on the Never Before Released. I almost can't stand it now. Diana does just fine with it, but those lackluster Flo and Mary vocals- when you know they were capable of ripping that song up- make the song boring and the song isn't built to be boring at all.

"The Happening"- I wore this out in my early fandom. I almost hate it now.

"But I Love You More"- Oh man, I played this one out! Now I rarely listen to it as it reminds me of something I'd prefer to forget.

"Touch"- I wore this one out too. Now I'm just worn out by it. Lol It annoys me now, although I can still listen to it without losing my mind.

"Now The Bitter"- Hated this for a long time. Only in recent years have I come to appreciate it, even going so far as to think it might have made a good single. I really like it now.

lol ran - i have a playlist of all random "Album tracks" from the group and some time while driving, the idea for this thread popped into my head. but now i can't remember what the tune was that inspired me

Love is Here and Bad Weather are two that have never really moved from the "meh" column. i can see why Love Is Here was a hit but i've just never clicked with it. BW is one that i hated and i now sometimes enjoy the funk and groove. but it's never been a fav

Oh yeah, "Bad Weather" is another one. I used to love it, now, I still like it, but "love" it? I don't know bout all that. I do much prefer the extended version on the box set over the original.

Honestly, when it comes to hating a Supremes song, I think it a super rarity that I hate it. But there are definitely a number of songs I put in the "meh" category.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Oh yeah, "Bad Weather" is another one. I used to love it, now, I still like it, but "love" it? I don't know bout all that. I do much prefer the extended version on the box set over the original.

Honestly, when it comes to hating a Supremes song, I think it a super rarity that I hate it. But there are definitely a number of songs I put in the "meh" category.
    i think there are a few that are awful. although most are probably from the Meet The Supremes era and so you have to try and listen within the context. motown wasn't using the multi-track recording that they would eventually, the girls were less seasoned, etc.

Still, even in context, I Want A Guy is rather hideous lol. although i do listen to it from time to time lol

I think You're Gone But Always In My Heart is right up there with the top mistakes. this song is "motown meets the funeral dirge"

Where Is It I Belong is dreadful too. the idiotic lyrics are one fault but the girls are an issue too. this is a bland and colorless lead from mary and C and S parts are just poorly crafted, totally wasting their contribution

Bad Weather has grown on me .its not a fav but i do like it better. still needs a remix to me.
    i loved driving Wheel back in 76... now , its just a good album cut. i would not release it as a single.
    still cant get into Composer or Livin In Shame.
    i like Last Time i Saw Him as a single but the album is a mess. far below par. BG was losing his touch but he did so by releasing the dreadful ,....Doob Doo Be Do on Diana. sounds like a Partridge Family type song to me.
    never cared for the Childrens Xmas song they did or I Want A Guy.
    Last edited by daviddh; 02-21-2024 at 07:20 PM.

“Back To The Future”. Never a song i was crazy about but one which has grown on me over the years. Gets in your head and stays there.

Dislike => Like: I Want a Guy - This was one I hated from the beginning, but I do like the EE version with just Diana because it's like listening to her first solo recording.

Meh => Like: I've learned to like, if not necessarily love these.
    I Guess I'll Miss the Man - I've come to feel almost the same way Ran does. Love the vocal.
    I'm Living in Shame/No Matter What Sign You Are - I now like these records, if not the songs or lyrics. I'm no longer ashamed of them or of listening to them.
    I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking - I was underwhelmed at first [for years] but I can enjoy it now.
    Don't Let My Teardrops Bother You - Thought it was corny or soapy but I can now appreciate Mary's vocals.

I can't think of any that I loved but now can't stand.
    Last edited by lucky2012; 02-22-2024 at 09:59 AM.

there are no Supremes hit songs that I liked initially and then changed my mind about later.
    I can honestly say that from my own fifty years of exposure , they have withstood the test of time quite nicely .

NO MATTER WHAT SIGN YOU ARE I didn't know at the time and it sounds so far removed from the Supremes that I can't listen to it and take it seriously. Definitely a low tide song.
    Both BAD WEATHER and FLOY JOY lacked appeal in the first place and their listenability has only decreased over time , FLOY JOY especially since the title is just some random wording.

maybe it should've been called BOY TOY,
    it wouldn't have made it any better but at least its premise would have had some purpose to build lyrics from.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-21-2024 at 07:10 PM.

there are quite a few songs that i didn't hate but just didn't favor. and some of them have grown on me too

Don't Wanna Be Tied Down & You're What's Missing - i tend to prefer the heavier disco tunes like Walking and LYG. I would rarely play either of these and never included on playlists and all. but recently i've come to enjoy them, especially Tied Down. while not a favorite, i do think it's a much stronger track than i originally gave it credit for

YWSSL - i think once i heard the live version on Flip Wilson, this song sort of sprung to life. the slightly faster tempo and the removal of the annoying Smokey vocal greatly improved it and made me enjoy the original more

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    there are no Supremes hit songs that I liked initially and then changed my mind about later.
    I can honestly say that from my own fifty years of exposure , they have withstood the test of time quite nicely .

NO MATTER WHAT SIGN YOU ARE I didn't know at the time and it sounds so far removed from the Supremes that I can't listen to it and take it seriously. Definitely a low tide song.
    Both BAD WEATHER and FLOY JOY lacked appeal in the first place and their listenability has only decreased over time , FLOY JOY especially since the title is just some random wording.

it wouldn't have made it any better but at least its premise would have had some purpose to build lyrics from.
    the girls are actually singing Floyd Joy. Floyd would be a guy's name and since they're singing about some sort of player, it would make sense that the song is referencing a guy named Floyd.

Boy Toy might have been a bit too sensational for the prim supremes lol

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post

You're absolutely right, Boogie, but in my case, it is 60 years of exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    the girls are actually singing Floyd Joy. Floyd would be a guy's name and since they're singing about some sort of player, it would make sense that the song is referencing a guy named Floyd.

Boy Toy might have been a bit too sensational for the prim supremes lol
    I like Boy Toy because 1. It's so very Girl Groups, a genre where it's all about the boy.
    and 2. It totally objectifies males.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    You're absolutely right, Boogie, but in my case, it is 60 years of exposure.
    Nice! I'm happy to say I feel that way about most Motown music ....with a only a few that have lost their sheen.

I want to say that FLOYD JOY makes the song better ....but does it....still a dumb sounding nickname and now not even one that rhymes.
    So what's with Motown screwing up Supemes titles .....STONED LOVE, FLOY JOY ...good grief ..did other acts suffer this lackadaisical treatment?

Everybody's got the right to love..
    Nice album cut but no sparkle...still can't figure out how this made a single.

i would say that the Ross album and lead single Pieces of Ice were not favorites but its now my favorite RCA album by her and i think it held up. minus Up Front ,which i cant listen to...