[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Interesting factoid about Aretha Franklin.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    Interesting factoid about Aretha Franklin.
    Yes the success from Aretha's tenure at Atlantic has now peaked, she'll put out seven more albums, including her just released one and the SPARKLE ST, resulting in two more Top 40 mid-charters from them, but that's it. Her Arista years will bring her back for a spell, first JUMP TO IT will reach #24 in 1982, then two others in 1985 will chart her back into the Top 10.
    _______

Billboard’s Hot 100/ Top 40

Chart #09
    March 2, 1974

Number of singles reviewed this week: 84
    last week: 77

including:
    Pop:
    THE JACKSON 5 - Dancing Machine [2:29]; producer: Hal Davis; writers: H. Davis, D. Fletcher, W. D. Parks; Motown 1286. The girls speak of a dynamite attraction who can "really blow your mind" and of course she's a dancing fool. Michael has the lead.

Soul:
    THE UNDISPUTED TRUTH - Help Yourself [3:02]; producer: Norman Whitfield; writer: N. Whitfield; . Gordy 7134 . The right combination of catchy instrumental funk and powerful vocal interplay combine righteously on this plea for self assistance.

Cash Box:

THE JACKSON 5 [Motown 1286F]
    Dancing Machine
    [2:29] [-Davis, Fletcher, Parks]
    This funky, syncopated tune is guaranteed to launch the energetic quintet back up into the spotlight with its intricate rhythms spotlighting some expansive harmonies and a clear lyric line. One of the group's better recent efforts.

THE HUES CORPORATION [RCA 0232]
    Rock The Boat [3:05] [W. Holmes]
    From the LP, "Freedom For The Stallion" this spirited uptempo number has
    the strength to gallop right up the charts. Fine production, including judicious use of strings, showcases the group's impeccable harmonies deftly.

The Motown Review:

Only Eddie Kendricks is hot this week as he enters the Top 5 at #4. Motown's other charters have all now begun to slide or advance modestly including the latest Marvin and Diana record that in its second week moves up 5 on the Hot 100 to #79 without a bullet. All 5 Motown records from last week continue to chart although two of them this week leave the Top 40. It now slips a bit on the Top 40, but with a three week reign, Diana Ross' LAST TIME I SAW HIM is #1 again on the Adult Contemporary chart.

The Top 10:

Canadian Terry Jacks has his moment in the sun with his first single release, SEASONS IN THE SUN at #1 displacing Barbra Streisand's THE WAY WE WERE which is now at #2 after 3 weeks at the top. Two Top 10 entries both from performers since the mid-sixties: At #9 is Cher's DARK LADY jumping from #16, her 6th Top Ten single as a single, and applause to The O'Jays for being back in the Top 10 for the third time with PUT YOUR HANDS TOGETHER at #10 from #11 [already #2 Soul]. The two that drop, to #11 from #9, YOU'RE SIXTEEN by Ringo Starr and Olivia Newton John's LET ME BE THERE which falls to #15 from #10.

The Top 40:

Motown:
    Two 45s from Motown are on the Top 40:

^ BOOGIE DOWN - Eddie Kendricks builds to #4 from #7 from #9 with a bullet
    LAST TIME I SAW HIM - Diana Ross slips to #16 from #14
    LIVING F
    OR THE CITY - Stevie Wonder OFF from #33
    BABY COME CLOSE - OFF from #34
    Offs : 2

Biggest mover in the Top 40, 8 notches
    5 records advance accordingly

Just 3 make it, 2 chart visitors, 1 US, 1 UK, 1 Swedish, 2+Top 10 bound+, 0 PI related, 0 Motown, 0 by proxy, 0 Country
    highest debut:
    +BENNIE AND THE JETS+ - Elton John #32 up 19 from #51 [10th Top 40 hit]

ROCK AND ROLL HOOCHIE KOO
    - Rick Derringer #36 up 6 from #42 [One Hit Wonder]
    +HOOKED ON A FEELING+ - Blue Swede #38 up 21 from #59 [One Hit Wonder]

The Hot 100
    :

10 debuts:2 Top 40 bound, 2 first time to chart on the Hot 100, 2 Philly International related, 0 Motown, 0 by proxy, 0 Country
    Highest debut:
    second tier
    #65- TSOP - M.F.S.B.

#73 - I'LL HAVE TO SAY I LOVE YOU IN A SONG - Jim Croce
    #83 - YOUR CASH AIN'T NOTHIN' BUT TRASH - Steve Miller
    #86 - WATCHING THE RIVER RUN - Loggins & Messina
    #89 - UNBORN CHILD - Seals & Crofts
    #94 - I'M A TRAIN - Albert Hammond
    #95 - GOING DOWN SLOW - Bobby Blue Bland
    #97 - NEWSY NEIGHBORS - First Choice
    #99 - BEST THING THAT EVER HAPPENED TO ME - Persuaders
    #100 - MUSIC EYES - Heartsfield

Motown
    :

debuts: none
    2nd week: ^MY MISTAKE WAS TO LOVE YOU - Marvin Gaye and Diana Ross #78 up 6 from #84
    5th week: YOU SURE LOVE TO **** - Marvin Gaye #53 down 3 from #50
    16th week: BABY COME CLOSE - Smokey Robinson #43 down 9 from #34
    17th week: LIVING FOR THE CITY - Stevie Wonder #42 down 9 from #33
    OFFS : none
    _______

A very good week for:
    The energy crisis
    Not an issue of Billboard goes by without an article concerning the effects of the current national energy crises, especially its affects on the limited availability of polyvinyl chlorides essential for pressing records. The entire nation though is enduring the situation as gas prices soar and products like plastics become scarce. Three records are on the Hot 100 related to the topic: At #34 is Dickie Goodman's comedic ENERGY CRISES '74 which features snippets of current hits including Stevie Wonder's LIVING FOR THE CITY; at #70 is GET THAT GASOLINE by NRBQ; at #93 is Jerry Reed's CRUDE OIL BLUES. Meanwhile the dance clubs are playing the Philly tune WHEN THE FUEL RUNS OUT as it charts #54 on the Soul chart

Record World:

Gasoline Shortages Hampering Dealers
    By GARY COHEN
    NEW YORK-A survey of record stores around the country finds that most are affected in one way or another by the gasoline shortage and general energy crisis.
    Outlets most seriously affected are reportedly free-standing record stores, remote shopping centers and rural and suburban areas. The reports of weakening sales also
    come at a time when there have been very 'few major releases,
    which some retailers blame instead for the poor sales showing.
    Since some of the nation's communities have begun implementing a form of gasoline allocation as a result of tediously long lines at gasoline service station pumps,
    consumers are apparently altering their traveling and buying habits.........
    Following Sylvia's big hit, the pillow talk out of the All Platinum studios continues, this time with the fellas providing the erotica. The Moments full nine minutes worth on the LP version of SEXY MAMA will set the stage for the 17-minute bedroom romp that will catapult Donna Summer onto center stage in just over a year.

The moaning musical love-gates have been opened.

5 Month Club:
    20 weeks
    SHOW AND TELL - Al Wilson at #26
    THE JOKER - Steve Miller at #31

General News Article in Billboard titled:

Bogart Label Promotion Based

- which promotes the new label by saying the label is all about ...promotion!

The last paragraph:

Bogart is not one for outlining
    long-range master plans for his operations. "I suppose it sounds like a
    cop-out, but I really do live day-to-day and shift plans to suit new situations that interest me."
    .... The thirty year-old Bogart unwittingly stating his new label is laying-in-wait as the one best-ready to embrace the soon to arrive disco phenomenon.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-01-2024 at 12:51 PM.