[REMOVE ADS]

Billy Dee Dishes on Miss Ross and Others in New Memoir

Can't wait to get my hands on this one [released yesterday]:

https://www.nextavenue.org/billy-dee...back-new-book/

Billy Dee has always appeared a genuinely nice guy who seems to have enjoyed his time working with Diana. I have alway’s wondered the reasons why she didn’t want him in Mahogany. Should be an interesting read whatever.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 02-14-2024 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Billy Dee has always appeared a genuinely nice guy who seems to have enjoyed his time working with Diana. I have alway’s wondered the reasons why she didn’t want him in Mahogany. Should be an interesting read whatever.
    For sure. Dust jacket photo FTW!

i would assume there's little to no dish on Diana. my understanding is that they're friends and have maintained a nice relationship over the years. no they don't have dinner together every other week but i think their work together was very positive and they've maintained that positive feeling. he's on record with saying what a fabulous kisser she was. odds are that'll be about as salacious as it gets

it might be interesting if there are some thoughts on the overall Mahogany experience. it was clearly a bit more of a disjointed production and the results aren't magnificent. maybe he'll talk a bit about what might have been, from a story and character perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    For sure. Dust jacket photo FTW!
    The cape crusader strikes again.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i would assume there's little to no dish on Diana. my understanding is that they're friends and have maintained a nice relationship over the years. no they don't have dinner together every other week but i think their work together was very positive and they've maintained that positive feeling. he's on record with saying what a fabulous kisser she was. odds are that'll be about as salacious as it gets

it might be interesting if there are some thoughts on the overall Mahogany experience. it was clearly a bit more of a disjointed production and the results aren't magnificent. maybe he'll talk a bit about what might have been, from a story and character perspective.
    Yeah, sup, we've heard all the LSTB stuff before, I'm afraid. I'm also curious to see what he'll say about Mahogany and even "Red Hot Rhythm + Blues."

The book is getting a lot of press due to his revelation that Brando propositioned him. Lots of other tidbits about his personal life are the draw for me; for example, he reveals that he contemplated suicide in the '60s. Definitely getting a copy.

It would be interesting to hear his perspective on filming Mahogany, but isn’t BG a bestie of his?.

Yeah, sup, we've heard all the LSTB stuff before, I'm afraid. I'm also curious to see what he'll say about Mahogany and even "Red Hot Rhythm + Blues."

The book is getting a lot of press due to his revelation that Brando propositioned him. Lots of other tidbits about his personal life are the draw for me; for example, he reveals that he contemplated suicide in the '60s. Definitely getting a copy.
    Hmmm, think I’ll be getting a copy as well. Just finished reading my last book.

It would be interesting to hear his perspective on filming Mahogany, but isn’t BG a bestie of his?.
    very possible. i'm not aware but certainly have never really paid attention to whatever relationship there is between the two of them. so if that's the case, then i agree with you - probably nothing.

and let's face it - Mahogany is not a super well known property. sure some older audience members remember it. and DR fans definitely remember it. but that's sort of the key point - this is a DR-known project moreso than something big on BDW's resume. Lady will be a, i assume, a much bigger story than Mahogany in the book. he'll probably talk a lot about Brian's Song [[since that was his first big role i think) and then Lady. maybe Mahogany is sort of a footnote with Lady, how they repaired for another film. and then probably onto Empire.

I watched him yesterday loved it

very possible. i'm not aware but certainly have never really paid attention to whatever relationship there is between the two of them. so if that's the case, then i agree with you - probably nothing.

and let's face it - Mahogany is not a super well known property. sure some older audience members remember it. and DR fans definitely remember it. but that's sort of the key point - this is a DR-known project moreso than something big on BDW's resume. Lady will be a, i assume, a much bigger story than Mahogany in the book. he'll probably talk a lot about Brian's Song [[since that was his first big role i think) and then Lady. maybe Mahogany is sort of a footnote with Lady, how they repaired for another film. and then probably onto Empire.
    Hate to break it to you, but Billy Dee devotes 7 straight pages, 7 other separate references, and at least two photos to MAHOGANY in this book.
    It’s absolutely a major milestone in his career; it solidified Ross and Williams as the Black Gable and Lombard figures of the time and is much more than just a footnote.

Have never heard nothing but positive talk from Billy Dee Williams from his work with Diana Ross so don't hold your breath on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Have never heard nothing but positive talk from Billy Dee Williams from his work with Diana Ross so don't hold your breath on this one.
    Yes, he always glows about her. This book is no different. He’s mainly dispelling rumors that they may have been involved while praising her work ethic.

This won’t be popular with everyone here but all the big guys - Oprah, Smokey, Berry, Beyonce Billy Dee - many of those people are Diana friends

The bitchers and whiners, no names, tend to be looking for publicity, especially as they got older and attracted less attention

A lot of it was and is a crock of shit and not worthy of anyone except garbage celeb authors like Mark Bego and I guess it’s why we got relegated to our own forum - which we do quite well with these days

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    This won’t be popular with everyone here but all the big guys - Oprah, Smokey, Berry, Beyonce Billy Dee - many of those people are Diana friends

The bitchers and whiners, no names, tend to be looking for publicity, especially as they got older and attracted less attention

A lot of it was and is a crock of shit and not worthy of anyone except garbage celeb authors like Mark Bego and I guess it’s why we got relegated to our own forum - which we do quite well with these days
    Oh My God!!….not friends. I agree, if everyone just resigned themselves to thinking Diana Ross perfect all would forever be well.

Hate to break it to you, but Billy Dee devotes 7 straight pages, 7 other separate references, and at least two photos to MAHOGANY in this book.
    It’s absolutely a major milestone in his career; it solidified Ross and Williams as the Black Gable and Lombard figures of the time and is much more than just a footnote.
    that's great!!! i just figured he'd focus on Lady and then sort of sidenote Mahogany

That certainly makes a prospective read more interesting. Hve you ordered your copy yet sans?.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post

Given how private and family oriented Diana Ross is, are most of them close personal friends, or professional world friends? There's a difference you know. I've a feeling that Diana's real friends, people she can reach out to and socialize with and be real with, are people not necessarily high profile types in the entertainment world, whoever they may be, as she's done a good job in recent decades of keeping her private life private.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Given how private and family oriented Diana Ross is, are most of them close personal friends, or professional world friends? There's a difference you know. I've a feeling that Diana's real friends, people she can reach out to and socialize with and be real with, are people not necessarily high profile types in the entertainment world, whoever they may be, as she's done a good job in recent decades of keeping her private life private.
    Totally agree

That certainly makes a prospective read more interesting. Hve you ordered your copy yet sans?.
    Not yet, but have visited it in-store. Waiting for it to turn up in my personal algorithm.😃

that's great!!! i just figured he'd focus on Lady and then sort of sidenote Mahogany
    Also: Only 4 of his film roles made the dust jacket blurb. Mahogany ​is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post

I watched him yesterday loved it
    Love it! That moment between him and Sunny made me cringe for her, though.