[REMOVE ADS]

Bob Kayli [aka Robert Gordy, BG's brother] appearance on American Bandstand

I just read where Bob Kayli when his Everyone Was There was released in 1958, he made an appearance performing it on American Bandstand.

Has anyone ever seen this performance or does any one know if it is available for viewing? This was his release on the NY Carlton label.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I just read where Bob Kayli when his Everyone Was There was released in 1958, he made an appearance performing it on American Bandstand.

Has anyone ever seen this performance or does any one know if it is available for viewing? This was his release on the NY Carlton label.
    I've never seen Bob Kayli's performance of "Everyone Was There" and I couldn't turn it up on YouTube. However I did find this bit of information from his entry on Wikipedia-

Gordy had a brief career as a recording artist and had a minor hit as Bob Kayli with the novelty song "Everyone Was There" [1958], co-written with his brother Berry and leased by him to the Carlton label. The record reached number 96 on the Billboard Hot 100 in November 1958 and he performed it on the Dick Clark TV Show. However, the song's popularity declined precipitously when the public found out that he was African American.

I have never had the opportunity to have seen Bob [Kayli] Gordy on any performance.
    If you haven't heard one of this Acetates "Love In a Movie" it is a great record. I always wondered who the background guys were?

Robert later had several 45's Gospel on Song Bird, one is Motown as Robert was the songwriter for Sensational Saints of Detroit "Pure Religion" On Song Bird. Robert was a member. [Keith helped find it]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji2zZqEqJaI

Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 02-13-2024 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Jarvis View Post
    Robert later had several 45's Gospel on Song Bird, one is Motown as Robert was the songwriter for Sensational Saints of Detroit "Pure Religion" On Song Bird. Robert was a member. [Keith helped find it]
    I don’t think this is correct. There was a member named Bob/Robert Gandy whose name was repeatedly misspelled on those Song Bird 45s as “Gordy”. The song “Pure Religion” is still copyrighted with BMI and credited to Bob Gandy: https://repertoire.bmi.com/Search/Se...earch_Type=all

Thanks Nick, I'm aware of the BMI copyright, long time ago now I'll have to dig out the other ones as I'm sure they had Gordy. You may be right if it misspelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Jarvis View Post
    Thanks Nick, I'm aware of the BMI copyright, long time ago now I'll have to dig out the other ones as I'm sure they had Gordy. You may be right if it misspelled.
    The other one is "God Always Answers Prayer" on Song Bird. Credited as "Gordy" on the label, but the copyright is Bob Gandy: https://repertoire.bmi.com/Search/Se...earch_Type=all

Thanks Nick you have saved me having to find the Gordy Labels [none Motown labels] I have half a dozen of questionable 45's they are mostly in record cases, which makes it more difficult to sort them out.

One of the others from the Majestics that has "Gordy" on the label, [it's unlikely?] but we will never know. Great music very popular across Europe.

Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 02-15-2024 at 05:34 AM.