[REMOVE ADS]

Official statement from the spinners - henry fambrough

We mourn the loss of Henry Fambrough.

Henry Lee Fambrough, a founding member of the legendary R&B/Soul vocal group, The Spinners, died peacefully of natural causes in his northern Virginia home on Wednesday, February 7.
    An Army veteran, Fambrough was known for his iconic handlebar” mustache, captivating audiences with his smooth moves onstage. His euphonious baritone voice is featured prominently on standout Spinners singles, album cuts, and B-sides such as Ghetto Child,”I Dont Want To Lose You,” and Just As Long As We Have Love.”
    Fambroughs transition marks the end of an era, as he was the last surviving founding member of The Mighty Spinners. Members of the lineup during The Spinnersclassic hitmaking era were Bobbie Smith, Billy Henderson, Pervis Jackson, and Philippe Wynne.
    The Spinners scaled the heights of musical stardom, earning the industrys most elite honors, including a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, and most recently, induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame last year.
    Fambrough is survived by his wife of 52 years, Norma; daughter Heather Williams; son-in-law, Ronald; sister, Martha; and a host of loving cousins, extended family, friends, and music industry colleagues.
    The celebration of Fambrough’s remarkable life, which will be open to the public, will be held at St. Stephen AME Church in Detroit, MI on Saturday, February 17, 2024. A public viewing is scheduled for Friday, February 16 at Swanson Funeral Home located at 14751 West McNichols Road, Detroit, MI 48235, from 2 PM to 8 PM.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Ms. T; 02-09-2024 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. T View Post
    We mourn the loss of Henry Fambrough, details in the attached document. Name:  Henry Lee Fambrough Transition Announcement 2.8.24.1.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  8.5 KB
    Is there any way this can be enlarged? I am unable to read it. Thank you.

https://www.gpb.org/news/2024/02/08/...ers-dies-at-85

DETROIT — Henry Fambrough, the last surviving original member of the iconic R&B group The Spinners, whose hits included "It's a Shame," "Could It Be I'm Falling in Love" and "The Rubberband Man," died Wednesday, a spokesperson for the group said. He was 85.

Fambrough died peacefully of natural causes in his northern Virginia home, spokesperson Tanisha Jackson said in a statement.

The group was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in November. Along with Fambrough, Billy Henderson, Pervis Jackson, Bobby Smith, Philippé Wynne and John Edwards were listed as inductees.

Last May, Fambrough took a tour of Motown's Studio A in Detroit as part of a ceremony that included the donation to the Motown Museum of 375 outfits worn by the group during performances.

It "was a long time ago," Fambrough said at the time of the 1960s, when he first walked into the studio. "I used to dream about this place."

He told reporters that he had to convince his wife that the studio was where he was going for 3 a.m. rehearsals and recording sessions with other members of the group. Their first big hit for Motown was "It's A Shame," which peaked at No. 14 on Billboard's Hot 100 chart in 1970.

The Spinners would later sign with Atlantic Records and turn out a string of hits that included "Then Came You," which featured singer Dionne Warwick and reached No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1974.

Their songs received six Grammy Award nominations and earned 18 platinum and gold albums.

Originally called The Domingoes, the group was formed in 1954 just north of Detroit in Ferndale. The Spinners joined Motown Records 10 years later.

Fambrough's survivors include his wife of 52 years, Norma, and daughter Heather Williams.

Last edited by milven; 02-08-2024 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    Is there any way this can be enlarged? I am unable to read it. Thank you.
    Darn - sorry for that. I didn't know you couldn't click to enlarge. I'll edit this post to just copy and paste the text.