[REMOVE ADS]

Henry Fambrough, the last of the original Spinners has passed!

He was 85! This is such horrible news because I’ve been a Spinners fan since boyhood. I’m just glad he got to see his HOF induction! RIP Mr. Fambrough, I’m sure, Bobby, Billy, Pervis, Philippe, Thom and Linda are welcoming you home as I post this. Thank you for the music.
    Last edited by jboy88; 02-07-2024 at 11:01 PM.

This really is sad. It seems there are fewer and fewer Motown songwriters, arrangers, producers, musicians, and artists left. At least, off the top of my head, we still have Diana, Smokey, Stevie, Martha, Betty, Rosalind, Lois, Otis, Cal, Chris, Pete, and Lionel. Not many, considering there was once a Motown roster of 100 artists/groups.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 02-08-2024 at 01:02 AM.

This IS tough. Talk about one of the elemental parts of my childhood soundscape. I had the great good fortune to see him live with The Spinners when they opened for the J5 when I was a tot. I’ll always remember his megawatt smile and that whiplash mustache he used to rock. Rest in paradise.

Such sad news, farewell Henry. The Spinners - I'll always love you.

Horrible News!! Rest In Music, Power & Peace Henry Fambrough [and the rest of the original members of The Spinners].
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 02-08-2024 at 05:39 AM.

May he Rest in Peace.

I saw them in concert about 5 years ago and he was acknowledged as the only original member. The younger guys did a great job of delivering all their classics.

Martha and her sisters were on the same bill and I really went to see them. However it turned out that they [[Vandellas) were the "warm up act" and only played for 30 minutes. That was a huge disappointment but I got to meet and greet her afterwards. So between that and the Spinners' great show, it turned out OK.

• 1976 and celebrating their 20th year with Henry an original member. Henry far right:

• Sad day. RIP Henry Fambrough

Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-08-2024 at 12:23 PM.

R.I.P. Henry!
    One of his comments from my numerous interviews with him:

Henry: "We went to school together. Pervis, Henry and me - we went to Grant elementary school. Billy went to Carver school, which is about three or four block away, but it was the same neighbourhood, though - - During the summer all the guys in the neighbourhood used to meet at the basketball court on Grant's playground. One afternoon while playing the guys standing around started singing - Crathman [[C.P.) Spencer, myself, Pervis Jackson, Billy Henderson and another guy by the name of James Edwards. We just started singing. We left there and went over to Chico Edwards' house. Chico is James' brother. We started harmonizing there and that's how the group started..."

Best regards
    Heikki

Sorry to hear that Henry passed. I thought that they were all gone but that's true now.

Duke of the Four Tops; Sandra of the Monitors; G.C. Cameron; Kim Weston; Cal Street, Bertha Barbee McNeal of the Velvelettes; Brenda Holloway; Joe Billingslea of the Contours; Carolyn Crawford; Linda Griner; Claudette Robinson are more founding alumni still here and thriving. I know I'm missing some.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    This really is sad. It seems there are fewer and fewer Motown songwriters, arrangers, producers, musicians, and artists left. At least, off the top of my head, we still have Diana, Smokey, Stevie, Martha, Betty, Rosalind, Lois, Otis, Cal, Chris, Pete, and Lionel. Not many, considering there was once a Motown roster of 100 artists/groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. T View Post
    Duke of the Four Tops; Sandra of the Monitors; G.C. Cameron; Kim Weston; Cal Street, Bertha Barbee McNeal of the Velvelettes; Brenda Holloway; Joe Billingslea of the Contours; Carolyn Crawford; Linda Griner; Claudette Robinson are more founding alumni still here and thriving. I know I'm missing some.
    Bertha of the Velvelettes sadly passed a while ago - Millie, Cal and Norma are still very much with us

So sad - on Motown, they were one opf my all time favorites [[and on Tri-Phi too)....but we still have the great John Edwards with us, though he can't perform anymore.

"Working My Way Back To You" and "Cupid" and "Funny" were always favorites for me.

[[after "Sweet Thing", "Truly Yours", "I'll Always Love You," ...and..and..and....

RIP Henry.

Eddie Holland, Valerie Simpson, Hank Dixon [[The Originals)
    Last edited by soulwally; 02-10-2024 at 06:00 PM.

At this point, I’m grateful that he had Henry for as long as we did. Given the overwhelming number of legends who didn’t live long enough to collect social security, never mind old age! He even outlived many of those that came after him.