Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
I'm betting that's exactly why the album ended up in stores rather than shelved. Motown was hoping to somehow recoup the costs. That's why "I Guess I'll Miss the Man", neither written nor produced by Jimmy Webb, was added to the album and released as the single.

Seems like it would have made sense to try to milk some singles from it. The only one I think had a prayer of making any noise is "5:30 Plane", although it's possible "Cheap Lovin" might also have done something. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I think "Cheap" might have been the better choice. Either way, I would have gone with both as singles and crossed my fingers.

The GH package for the end of 72 is intriguing.

Up the Ladder
Everybody's Got the Right To Love
Stoned Love
River Deep, Mountain High
Nathan Jones
Touch
You Gotta Have Love
Floy Joy
Automatically Sunshine
Your Wonderful Sweet, Sweet Love

Tack on "I Guess I'll Miss the Man", bill it as a new song on the album, along with an additional new song and there's a ready made 12 track greatest hits package that might have sold decently.
haha you know i'm gonna monkey around with your track listing! you know i love to play producer lol

so the duets would not have been included because of royalties. just like the Temps weren't on GH3. plus the Tops were splitting to another label so motown would have done nothing to promote them.

i think they would have gone with the singles and then a few key album tracks. MAYBE an unreleased tune or two

Ladder
Everybody
Loving Country
Stoned Love
Nathan Jones
touch
Here comes the sunrise
floy joy
Auto sun
YWSSL
I Guess I'll miss
The day will come between sunday and monday