[REMOVE ADS]

Sing HDH Cover Photo and Title

While I don't hate the cover of HDH, or the title, it never made sense to me that Motown would reach back to 1965 for the cover photo when the label had obviously paid good money [[well, the Supremes paid good money) for more photo sessions more recently. I also opine that the album might have sold even better had it been titled YOU KEEP ME HANGIN ON.

I think this would have made a perfect cover with the YKMHO title. Thoughts?

Name:  greatest hits.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  57.3 KB

Also, love it or hate it, if you could change the cover, what photo would you use?

Perhaps it might have sold better if it were called YKMHO

But I know when it was released the cover was regarded as a classic and the best of their covers- my recollection is that Rolling Stone said it conveyed the image of three strong tough black broads - although I’m not sure all of that terminology is acceptable any more

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Perhaps it might have sold better if it were called YKMHO

But I know when it was released the cover was regarded as a classic and the best of their covers- my recollection is that Rolling Stone said it conveyed the image of three strong tough black broads - although I’m not sure all of that terminology is acceptable any more
    I really like the Sing HDH cover. At first, I was thrown by the black & white photo, but the image and pose were striking and seemed contemporary and cool compared to most album covers then. To me the image said the Supremes were cool and meant business yet were beautiful and glamorous at the same time. They looked like they knew they were Supreme. I didn't know it was a photo from 1965. [Motown would use another, more dated, 1965 image for Sing R&H a few months later].

Perhaps YKMHO might have been a title that would have sold more albums. The single was praised and admired as different, creative and progressive. But I really like that Motown was giving HDH major recognition. The Motown Sound was exploding worldwide, and I think people were already realizing that HDH was the [biggest] reason.

I actually like the Supremes sing Motown cover art .orange cover with the ladies wearing the white gowns. Very nice.
    Would have been my choice as cover with the black n white photo on the back side.
    I don't think the title would make a difference as it didn't on New Ways Love Stays.
    Imo. Sing HDH n More Hits,n Love Child are my three fav albums

while not my favorite cover art of theirs, i do like it. it's simple and classy and i don't think the look was too dated by early 67. I agree that the photo on R&H looked far more dated

in Randy's book, apparently some initial ideas for this lp were to use one of the images of them in the gold and silver lame outfits. like the one being used on the cover of their An Evening With concert program. Perhaps after having done a similar Mod look on A Go Go they wanted to get back to their glam look

it's always been my opinion that the title was a bone Berry was throwing to HDH. they had already started having discussions about getting more compensation. maybe Berry opted to title this album in order to give them some [[deserved) publicity and notoriety. everyone knew the album would sell well so it would guarantee that a lot of the public would learn the names of HDH

I think an edit i would have done would have been to include more pics of the girls and HDH on the back. rather than just 1 large pic, i think have more "working" pics would have been interesting. sort of like the back of Jimmy Webb

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    I really like the Sing HDH cover. At first, I was thrown by the black & white photo, but the image and pose were striking and seemed contemporary and cool compared to most album covers then. To me the image said the Supremes were cool and meant business yet were beautiful and glamorous at the same time. They looked like they knew they were Supreme. I didn't know it was a photo from 1965. [Motown would use another, more dated, 1965 image for Sing R&H a few months later].

Perhaps YKMHO might have been a title that would have sold more albums. The single was praised and admired as different, creative and progressive. But I really like that Motown was giving HDH major recognition. The Motown Sound was exploding worldwide, and I think people were already realizing that HDH was the [biggest] reason.
    The original cover is still a very nice cover. It's not that it looks too out of date- the R&H photo was horrendously out of date- but what I love about the pic I chose is that the girls look glam hip, if that's a term. Lol The progressive sounds of the 1966 and 67 singles put the ladies on a whole other level. I can imagine people getting into their music who didn't really care for the earlier "girl groupy" songs like "Baby Love" and "Stop". To me this cover says they're moving with the times. The original cover is definitely classy, and certainly epitomizes the brand of the group, but I wouldn't say it necessarily says "progress".

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    I actually like the Supremes sing Motown cover art .orange cover with the ladies wearing the white gowns. Very nice.
    Would have been my choice as cover with the black n white photo on the back side.
    I don't think the title would make a difference as it didn't on New Ways Love Stays.
    Imo. Sing HDH n More Hits,n Love Child are my three fav albums
    I think the Sing Motown cover would also have worked for the HDH cover.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    while not my favorite cover art of theirs, i do like it. it's simple and classy and i don't think the look was too dated by early 67. I agree that the photo on R&H looked far more dated

in Randy's book, apparently some initial ideas for this lp were to use one of the images of them in the gold and silver lame outfits. like the one being used on the cover of their An Evening With concert program. Perhaps after having done a similar Mod look on A Go Go they wanted to get back to their glam look

it's always been my opinion that the title was a bone Berry was throwing to HDH. they had already started having discussions about getting more compensation. maybe Berry opted to title this album in order to give them some [[deserved) publicity and notoriety. everyone knew the album would sell well so it would guarantee that a lot of the public would learn the names of HDH

I think an edit i would have done would have been to include more pics of the girls and HDH on the back. rather than just 1 large pic, i think have more "working" pics would have been interesting. sort of like the back of Jimmy Webb
    I like the idea of the back cover being more working photos.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I think the Sing Motown cover would also have worked for the HDH cover.
    i like that one too but i don't know if it or the red sequin gown is significantly different enough or "more progressive" than the actual image used.

looked online to see what were some of the top albums sold in 67 and what those covers looked like. see if that could inspire some ideas for a different cover for the girls

you had Sgt Pepper, Four Tops Reach out, Stevie I Was Mad To Love Her, Beatles Magical Mystery Tour, Sly Family Stone A Whole New thing, Soul Man, aretha Arrives, Smiley Smile byBeach Boys. Donovan Mellow Yellow. No surprise - a lot are starting to dabble in sort of "peter max" and psychedelic designs which the girls would eventually do with Reflections. and then given the art design of Greatest Hits, i think that shouldn't be used here.

Maybe use one of the working shots in the studio? that would have been totally different than anything else. or do a gatefold cover that opens up. sort of a more deluxe approach.

I love the original HDH photo. It is so iconic.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I like the idea of the back cover being more working photos.
    totally agree. cant have enough photos of them