[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Soul galore

Soul galore

A big fave with UK NS fans is Jackie Wilson's "Soul Galore".
    Initially a US 45 track in March 1966, it's UK popularity was reflected in 1972 when it finally got issued on a UK 45 [[B side).
    MY QUESTION ... the song was written by Ronnie Savoy aka Eugene Hamilton; the brother of Al Kent and Bob Hamilton .....
    ... ... ... is their a known demo version of the song by Ronnie ?

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    A big fave with UK NS fans is Jackie Wilson's "Soul Galore".
    Initially a US 45 track in March 1966, it's UK popularity was reflected in 1972 when it finally got issued on a UK 45 [[B side).
    MY QUESTION ... the song was written by Ronnie Savoy aka Eugene Hamilton; the brother of Al Kent and Bob Hamilton .....
    ... ... ... is their a known demo version of the song by Ronnie ?
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  21.1 KB
    This is a song I always wondered about. It just doesn't sound like a song Ronnie [[Eugene) would sing [[or write, for that matter). It's much more like a song his brother, Al would write. And, the latter wrote 3 songs for Jackie in 1961 [["Am I The Man" being the best.) And Al demoed all 3 for Jackie, and they were released also by Al on his own Wizard Records. I can't imagine Ronnie singing anything that raucous, despite his uptempo side for Wingate Records. He sang a lot of mellow Pop songs for MGM, and even his later Soul cuts were sung in a more melodious and mellow vein. I wonder if he got his brother, Al to demo this one? In any case, I've never heard a demo for it, nor heard another artist singing a version of it. He produced a Detroit girls group in 1966, who sang uptempo cuts so maybe for that 1965 production he used a male demo singer from a back-up group he used or met during his later production days. But, Al would have been perfect for that job. And they were both working for Golden World at that time.

Dick Jacobs and his "Pop" [[New York) orchestra did alright on that session, as they did on "Am I The Man". Still and all. I'd rather have heard a recording of the instrumental tracks made instead, in Detroit, At Golden World, with Mike Terry or Joe Hunter arranging, and with The Funk Brothers and other Motown moonlighting musicians playing on it. It would have had a LOT more punch. IF they insisted on recording it in New York, I'd rather have had Richard Tee arrange it, and HIS band play on the session. I'd like to have heard Bennie Benjamin or Pistol Allen on it, and James Jamerson. It sounds a little flat. The mixing could have been much warmer, and sharper. They'd have given it a crisper and punchier sound. But, Tarnopol already had a contract with Jacobs, and was paying him anyway. It was a bad, bad day for us fans, when Jackie signed with Tarnopol. He would have had many good years at Motown, and even if he would have fallen out with Motown because of money, and not re-signed or extended, he could have then gone on to work with Ed Wingate's Golden World/Ric Tic, and still made a lot more Detroit-recorded gems. And maybe he'd have had less stress, and lived longer, too.
    Last edited by robb_k; 02-03-2024 at 11:48 PM.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  21.1 KB
    Does anyone here know if THIS record was the inspiration Simon Soussan had for naming his Soul re-issue label "Soul Galore"?

When Jackie decided it was time to split from Tarnapol [[1960), wasn't he hung by his feet out of a skyscraper window ? ... needless to say, after that, he re-signed with Nat & Brunswick ... Name:  JackieWilson60b.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  57.9 KB