[REMOVE ADS]

I was all set to discount this memory, as it makes no sense for Diana to approach Daryl asking for his autograph with the statement that she's his biggest fan, as if they had never met. But then I figured it's entirely possible Diana said it in jest. Anyway, I seem to recall having heard that all the stars autographed each other's lyric sheets. Very interesting to learn that Diana was the start of it all.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I was all set to discount this memory, as it makes no sense for Diana to approach Daryl asking for his autograph with the statement that she's his biggest fan, as if they had never met. But then I figured it's entirely possible Diana said it in jest. Anyway, I seem to recall having heard that all the stars autographed each other's lyric sheets. Very interesting to learn that Diana was the start of it all.
    Actually, that's a cute way to look at it.

At first, I figured why would Diana be asking for Daryl's autograph? She had the chance to do that when they worked together the year before on SWEPT AWAY.

But maybe she did approach him like a cute little girl would with "I'm your biggest fan..." and asked for it. I can see it.

The article states that this doc is "streaming now" on Netflix, but it won't be available until tomorrow. Pissed me off.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    The article states that this doc is "streaming now" on Netflix, but it won't be available until tomorrow. Pissed me off.
    Sorry Sans, but this made me laugh! I wasn't expecting that last part.

I remember when it was held, there were news reports that Diana started collecting autographs and it spread to the others

Maybe she was getting them for her kids

Whether it started in jest, or for her kids, or from the overriding emotion of such a momentous occasion, it was a welcome gesture! Maybe she was most comfortable and in humorous spirit to approach Daryl Hall first. After all, they did produce a hit together just a few months before. The gesture would have worked wonderfully as well if she had approached any of the others first - Michael, Lionel, Quincy, Stevie, Tina, Dionne, Bruce, Willie Nelson, Paul Simon, Cyndi Lauper, etc. That gathering boggles the mind.
    Last edited by lucky2012; 01-29-2024 at 01:12 PM.

Maybe she wanted to share them with the girls IDK

Diana knew Daryl since Daryl wrote Swept Away for her.

Some non-sequitur, non-Diana takeaways from the doc [read: spoilers]:

1] I always wondered why Waylon Jennings seemed to be MIA for the video, photo shoot and HBO documentary released right after the record. I was shocked to discover [read: NOT] that the reason he wasn't visible was that he stormed out after he objected to singing a Swahili/Amharic refrain that Stevie proposed...on a charity single for African famine relief. His butt-hurt, good-ole-boy exit is documented in real time. [Shout-out to director Bao Nguyen, who set it to the tune of him singing the theme from "The Dukes of Hazzard" -- *chef kiss*!]

2] I always chalked up Al Jarreau's difficulties in nailing his solo to his straight-ahead jazz approach not being a great fit for a pop anthem. Hogwash: Homie was 97 sheets to the wind, polishing off bottle after bottle of wine in the studio. Everyone's exasperation was evident--Dionne, Quincy, Willie. It all made perfect sense. Talk about alcohol affecting one's work. Sad in retrospect.

3] Quincy, in the car ride home afterward at 8 a.m., expressed his delight at how well everything had gone, saying, "The white boys really brought it!" This gave me a chuckle, because it was a harbinger of the public's response later. Daryl Hall, Kenny Loggins, Bruce, Steve Perry, and Huey Lewis really emerged as MVPs that night, singing their collective tails off.

4) Sheila E. feeling used and suspecting that she was only invited as a conduit to get Prince on the record made me sad.

These moments and the never-before-seen footage used made it a great watch.
    Last edited by sansradio; 01-30-2024 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Some non-sequitur, non-Diana takeaways from the doc [read: spoilers]:

1] I always wondered why Waylon Jennings seemed to be MIA for the video, photo shoot and HBO documentary released right after the record. I was shocked to discover [read: NOT] that the reason he wasn't visible was that he stormed out after he objected to singing a Swahili/Amharic refrain that Stevie proposed...on a charity single for African famine relief. His butt-hurt, good-ole-boy exit is documented in real time. [Shout-out to director Bao Nguyen, who set it to the tune of him singing the theme from "The Dukes of Hazzard" -- *chef kiss*!]

2] I always chalked up Al Jarreau's difficulties in nailing his solo to his straight-ahead jazz approach not being a great fit for a pop anthem. Hogwash: Homie was 97 sheets to the wind, polishing off bottle after bottle of wine in the studio. Everyone's exasperation was evident--Dionne, Quincy, Willie. It all made perfect sense. Talk about alcohol affecting one's work. Sad in retrospect.

3] Quincy, in the car ride home afterward at 8 a.m., expressed his delight at how well everything had gone, saying, "The white boys really brought it!" This gave me a chuckle, because it was a harbinger of the public's response later. Daryl Hall, Kenny Loggins, Bruce, Steve Perry, and Huey Lewis really emerged as MVPs that night, singing their collective tails off.

4) Sheila E. feeling used and suspecting that she was only invited as a conduit to get Prince on the record made me sad.

These moments and the never-before-seen footage used made it a great watch.
    Thanks for your thoughts and comments sans. I look forward to seeing it.