[REMOVE ADS]

Alex Brown singer on Motown tracks

Alex Brown was an LA based singer who was on sessions by the likes of the Whispers [[Soul Clock) and Ray Charles [[Tangerine). She cut a few tracks in her own right & initially had a 45 out on Tangerine. She also worked over an extended period with Monk Higgins, initially working with him on a project that resulted in her LP & 45 on the Sundi label [[1970).
    She then did a lot of session singing before cutting another solo 45 that escaped on Roxbury [[76). Just before that 45 escaped she'd worked with Monk Higgins on a movie soundtrack album [[Sheba Baby).
    Towards the end of the 70's / early 80's she was singing back-up for Motown acts. Around that time she cut a track; "JUMP" that only ever escaped on a BBC Radioplay compilation LP [[a 1985 UK release). That album included cuts made for Motown by the likes of Gwen Owens, Ada Dyer, Phyllis St James and more.
    Anyone know if Alex Brown was signed to Motown as an act in her own right and can confirm that the track on this album [["JUMP") was indeed cut for Motown.Name:  BBCRadioPlayLP3.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  77.8 KB

Inconclusive as yet - but there is a little on Alex Brown on Discogs
    https://www.discogs.com/artist/129663-Alex-Brown

There's also a tracklist from the "Ruler Of The Hunt" album [[from 1985):

https://www.discogs.com/release/5610...er-Of-The-Hunt

A1 Frank Musker – You Can Bet Your Life 2:52
    A2 Frank Musker – Lightning Strikes Again 3:53
    A3 Ada Dyer – X-Ray Eyes 4:08
    A4 Mickey Buckins – I Can't Stop 3:29
    A5 Alex Brown – Jump 3:50
    A6 Siedah Garrett – Hungry For Love 3:46

B1 Phyllis St. James – Takin' A Chance On You 3:44
    B2 Phyllis St. James – Ruler Of The Hunt 3:39
    B3 Gwen Owens – Won't You Be Mine 3:49
    B4 Gwen Owens – Hug Me Squeeze Me 4:30
    B5 Gwen Owens – Love Takeover 2:57
    B6 Gwen Owens – Crazy Things You Do To Me 3:01

Alex sang backing vocals on tracks on Diana's 'ROSS' LP in 83 -- along with the likes of studio stars Clydie King & Shirley Matthews. She also sang backing on albums by the likes of Marlena Shaw, Dimples Fields, Nancy Wilson, Wayne Henderson, David Oliver, Carol King, Ramsey Lewis, Bobby Bland, Esther Phillips, Narada Michael Walden, Stevie Wonder [[from 79 to 82), Wilton Felder, Norman Connors, Gene Page, Letta Mbulu, Rene & Angela, Chuck Jackson, Jermaine Jackson [[Motown), Perry & Sanlin, Aretha, Bros Johnson, Ray Parker, Rene Woods, Bill Withers, Dionne Warwick, Linda Clifford, Tina Turner, Natalie Cole & many more. With a resume like that, I wouldn't have been surprised if Motown had signed her to a solo contract.

Did Motown have a track record of signing backing singers as solo artistes?

She wasn't JUST a backing singer. She made her 'daily bread' as a backing singer for many years but she had her own career [[she just didn't break thru) ...
    I mean would you call Luther V D a backing singer just coz he did that for many years before he became successful -- Clydie King was a talented solo singer but spent years as a Ray Charles' backing singer & a studio backing singer.

Quote - "With a resume like that, I wouldn't have been surprised if Motown had signed her to a solo contract".

So it seemed you were basing your assumption that Motown could have signed Alex Brown to a solo contract based on her track record as a backing singer in your own post. That's not to say they wouldn't or didn't - I don't know either way.

Luther Vandross and Clydie King don't come into it - I'm not aware that Motown signed either of them to a solo recording contract - or did they? The thread is about Alex Brown.

Are you able to post a scan of the reverse side of the album cover [["Ruler Of The Hunt")?
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 02-02-2024 at 06:36 PM.

Many backing singers had their own recording careers AND as I quoted above, many enjoyed great solo success signed to major labels.
    I'm basing my assumption that Alex Brown recorded "JUMP" for Motown because most of the other tracks on this BBC LP were sourced from Motown. In the past I have raised the topic of Motown South tracks being 'given' to the BBC directly by Motown with the producer of the Gwen Owens tracks on this LP. He stated that although he cut the Gwen Owens tracks for Motown South, he wasn't the BBC's source of these tracks, so Motown themselves must have been. Motown themselves were also the source of the Phyllis St James tracks on this album. Siedah Garrett was also working at Motown in the early 80's, so I'm also assuming that Motown were the source of her track; "Hungry For Love" as that doesn't seem to ever have gained release on anything other than this album. Ada Dyer was also a Motown artist in the 80's, though once again, her track on this album has never escaped on any other release but this.
    Another reason I BELIEVE that Motown will have supplied the BBC with the track is that 90%+ of all the soul tracks released by the BBC on this series of LP's was sourced from Motown. An example of just some of the other albums that are full of Motown tracks ...
    Road Runner R Dean Taylor/Shorty Long/JR Walker & The All Stars TAIR 85045
    I want You Around Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell / Kim Weston, Mary Wells TAIR 86007
    How Sweet It is Marvin Gaye TAIR 86006
    Please Mr Postman Marvelettes/Velvelettes/Elgins TAIR 86005
    Dancing In The Street Martha Reeves & The Vandellas TAIR 85047
    Marvin Gaye / Commodores TAIR 85040
    Supremes / Four Tops/Temptations Volume 1 TAIR 85042
    Diana Ross TAIR 85044
    Keep On Truckin' Edwin Starr/Eddie Kendricks TAIR 86042
    Sweet Harmony Smokey Robinson /The Miracles TAIR 86040
    My Guy Mary Wells / Brenda Holloway TAIR 86008
    Friendship Train Gladys Knight & The Pips / Isley Brothers TAIR 86001
    Signed Sealed & Delivered Stevie Wonder TAIR 86003
    I could list many of Motown related LP's from the series but don't think it's necessary.
    Last edited by jsmith; 02-03-2024 at 08:03 AM.