[REMOVE ADS]

Alexander O'Neal

I’m just reading Alexander O’Neal’s autobiography and astounded he says he recorded for Motown in LA for a year but though Alex says the recordings were very good Motown shelved everything. Says he can only assume because of his drugs reputation. Really? After Marvin’s problems, Rick James, members of Debarge et al. I never knew Alexander had been at Motown. Has anyone ever heard any of the recordings or know anything about them?

Discographies shows that in 1996 Motown [now in control of Tabu Records] re-issues the 1995 Best of Set adding the last 3 tracks listed [from his Motown recordings]: Satisfied, Right Now,Caught Up
    Last edited by luckyluckyme; 04-30-2024 at 08:31 PM.

Thank you so much Lucky. Both songs are good and Caught Up in particular sounds like potential top 20 to me. Strange + sad this is all they released. His autobiog is shockingly honest and it’s hard to like the man himself. But there’s no denying his singing talent and Motown certainly captured his sound. Maybe a Lost & Found one future day???

1996?Motown was just a record label, meaningless.

Way back I identified 11 CD albums released through Motown's distribution deal with Tabu. I think there would have also been singles issued.

Three of these albums were by Alexander O'Neal - one being a holiday album and 2 being "The Best Of" - one USA issue having 10 tracks [[31453-0591-2) and another European issue with the three additional tracks identified by LuckyLuckyMe [[31453-0582-2). TBH I'm not sure there is anything to indicate on the CD that these 3 tracks are Motown recordings but information shows that for the 3 tracks [[11 - 13) the producers were Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis & Zack Harmon.

Similarly The Best Of The SOS Band USA issue had 10 tracks vs 13 tracks in the EU/UK.

Anyhow the 11 CD covers can be seen here:
    TABU / MOTOWN
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...7720299382037/

Happy to receive updates or corrections on any of the above. Not sure what might be in the Motown vaults at all for O'Neal or any one else.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 05-01-2024 at 01:08 PM.

That "My Gift To You" was a reissue of his Christmas album. One of my fvaorite Christmas recordings of all time.