[REMOVE ADS]

Rest In Peace Melanie Safka

Melanie achieved considerable success for a period of time and her career endured to the end. However, she remained underrated compared to other singer/songwriters of her time. Sad to hear of her passing, she will be missed.

https://variety.com/2024/music/obitu...ck-1235886892/

. .

I thought immediately of you when my bestie sent the news, soph. May her soul be at peace.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I thought immediately of you when my bestie sent the news, soph. May her soul be at peace.
    Thank you sans. Yes, this one has hit me pretty hard. Especially following the news of Marlena Shaw and Mary Weiss.

A lovely singer, musician and song-writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    A lovely singer, musician and song-writer.
    Indeed she was.

I watched this video last year and I was floored as she had the whole audience clapping hands right along..

Had no idea she had the EH choir backing her up... always wondered who it was...

Always loved this tune when I was a teenager..

Quote Originally Posted by GrtGzu View Post
    I watched this video last year and I was floored as she had the whole audience clapping hands right along..

Had no idea she had the EH choir backing her up... always wondered who it was...

Always loved this tune when I was a teenager..
    It is a wonderful, iconic recording. The single clocks in at 3:49. In the original sessions it runs 7:42. That longer version first became available on the Buddha compilation album [and later CD] “The Four Side of Melanie” released after she had left that label. It was released again, in the UK on the Edsel twofer CD “Candles In The Rain/Leftover Wine” in 2007. The only two sources of the long version I know of. The single release is the first 3:49 of the longer version.

I'll remember her mostly for 'Beautiful People" from Woodstock. That was the first time I really heard her.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    I'll remember her mostly for 'Beautiful People" from Woodstock. That was the first time I really heard her.
    Melanie was 22 and relatively unknown when she took the stage at Woodstock in 1969. That performance [one of only three by a solo female artist] put her on the map. And the song she wrote about it brought her fame.

from The Johnny Cash Show