[REMOVE ADS]

Spinners trivia question.

I have a small question about the Spinners. I recently saw a copy of the Tamla Motown 45 I'll Always Love You. The record clearly states Detroit Spinners.

I should know the answer to this but I forget. Too much of a legacy on the group.

Why was the Detroit designation used in the UK? And not in the US?

Thanks for your input.

Apparently, there was a distinct UK group known as The Spinners which had a chart presence. Since the UK group never had a big impact in the US, the "Detroit" designation was used for the Motown group across the pond to avoid confusion.

And in the 70s they were known as The Motown Spinners - for example on the 2nd Time Around album and on the single "It's A Shame"/"Sweet Thing".

The Spinners were a folk group from Liverpool and although they didn’t have many chart records they were regulars on national TV as part of variety shows etc, so were pretty well known