Heikki

Quote Originally Posted by heikki View Post
    Hi!

There's a new, definitive book on Platinum Records -

https://www.soulexpress.net/deep1_2024.htm

Also, a new CD from Chazz Dixon.

Best regards
    Heikki
    Very interesting to hear about the book on All Platinum Records. I remember the label well with their roster of acts in the early '70s [including The Moments, The Whatnauts, Donnie Elbert and others]. I also remember when they bought Chess Records in 1975. As Hekki states in his article, the company's records were known for a 'dry sound' [and what Michael McGill of The Dells put down as "cheap productions" when the group recorded an album at their studio in the mid '70s]. Thanks Hekki!

Hi Eddie!

All Platinum really was an interesting label in the 1970s. Mostly their records were known for that thin sound, but they also made some deep soul gems. Linda Jones is a good example of this.

Best regards
    Heikki

Hi Eddie!

All Platinum really was an interesting label in the 1970s. Mostly their records were known for that thin sound, but they also made some deep soul gems. Linda Jones is a good example of this.

Best regards
    Heikki
    That's true, All Platinum did have some Great Songs in the '70s with The Moments, Sylvia, The Whatnauts and others. And yes, Linda Jones' "For Your Precious Love" was a '70s Soul Classic.

thanks Heikki, at last a book to seek out!

Somewhere along the way I was disappointed to learn the Robinson's were mafia connected.
    I'm hoping I have it wrong, as I'd always admired their small-fry determined tenacity.
    Don't see anything such a connection being mentioned here ....
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 01-22-2024 at 04:07 AM.

Hi Boogiedown!

There were connections not only with Morris Levy but many other similarly related persons, and there are some enlightening incidents told in the book [[money loans etc.), so actually there's only one conclusion you can draw. But as far as I understood the ties were not too severe.

Best regards
    Heikki

There were connections not only with Morris Levy but many other similarly related persons, and there are some enlightening incidents told in the book [[money loans etc.), so actually there's only one conclusion you can draw. But as far as I understood the ties were not too severe.
    Those mob related ties must not have been too severe since Joe & Sylvia Robinson launched Sugar Hill Records [home of The Sugar Hill Gang, Grandmaster Flash, etc.] right after All Platimun Records folded.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Those mob related ties must not have been too severe since Joe & Sylvia Robinson launched Sugar Hill Records [home of The Sugar Hill Gang, Grandmaster Flash, etc.] right after All Platimun Records folded.
    Or could be that thanks to those ties ...Sugarhill was made possible.....

I've softened my view on this. When thinking 'mob ties', I'm imagining a record label that's heavy-handed, that coerces radio stations to play their records or record shop owners to stock their product.... or to execute payola etc.

Small -timers trying to find ways to finance their operations, to make their dreams possible... I can sympathize with that. If the mafia connection is a means to borrowed money to make sure the office lights stay on, that's doing what it takes and if the results is their music, that's turning bad money into good.

Shame about Platinum there was some great artists and records, i used to go find Platinum from the UK. These great 45's where played at Northern Soul events!

We need some more Platinum.

records
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 03-05-2024 at 12:04 PM.

A hero !