[REMOVE ADS]

90. Marvin Gaye, Tammi Terrell - Ain't No Mountain High Enough back in UK top 100

The Official UK Top 100 Singles Chart 18.01.2024

90. Marvin Gaye, Tammi Terrell - Ain't No Mountain High Enough

For real, Jack? Hey, is that cool or what! Ya know, this opens the door for countless other Motown hits to re-enter the Hot 100 charts!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 01-16-2024 at 04:38 AM.

Wow! From what I've observed at parties and functions, this Motown classic is as popular today as it was back in the day. Such a wonderful and uplifting song. I'm sure its popularity will go on for many more years.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    Wow! From what I've observed at parties and functions, this Motown classic is as popular today as it was back in the day. Such a wonderful and uplifting song. I'm sure its popularity will go on for many more years.
    Probably on the back of Rick Astley and Sharleen Spiteri performing it on his recent TV show

Everybody [[with any taste) loves Motown!

Eamonn, Rick really does a super job on that song!

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Eamonn, Rick really does a super job on that song!
    He does, his voice is soulful. One of my all time favourite songs by Marvin and Tammi

He does, his voice is soulful. One of my all time favourite songs by Marvin and Tammi
    Yeah! And the entire album is still fresh & exciting! My favorite, however, remains the track "You're All I Need To Get By". Motown just doesn't get any better than that, and I mean that as a huge, gigantic compliment!

Funny how that's the song that's become THE most enduring song in Motown judging on its streams on Spotify and Apple Music.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Funny how that's the song that's become THE most enduring song in Motown judging on its streams on Spotify and Apple Music.
    It definitely is up there with the top songs.

Of course it helps that there are a fairly limited number of Marvin and Tammi songs whereas there are dozens and dozens for some of the artists

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Yeah! And the entire album is still fresh & exciting! My favorite, however, remains the track "You're All I Need To Get By". Motown just doesn't get any better than that, and I mean that as a huge, gigantic compliment!
    Your favourite is my favourite too. It must have been so emotional hard for Marvin to see Tammi struggling in the recording studio during the sessions for this song. His "come on Tammi" and "Tammi listen" words of encouragement, which are best heard on the stereo version, really shows the affection he had for her.

Your favourite is my favourite too. It must have been so emotional hard for Marvin to see Tammi struggling in the recording studio during the sessions for this song. His "come on Tammi" and "Tammi listen" words of encouragement, which are best heard on the stereo version, really shows the affection he had for her.
    They said the first time Tammi re-entered the studio, Marvin had to leave the studio for a second because he was overcome with emotion seeing her in that shape. I do believe he had tears coming out of his eyes while they recorded it and seeing her struggle. I loved how he encouraged her and Motown decided to leave that in there. That doesn't usually happen. Shows how much Marvin loved and cared for Tammi.

They said the first time Tammi re-entered the studio, Marvin had to leave the studio for a second because he was overcome with emotion seeing her in that shape. I do believe he had tears coming out of his eyes while they recorded it and seeing her struggle. I loved how he encouraged her and Motown decided to leave that in there. That doesn't usually happen. Shows how much Marvin loved and cared for Tammi.
    This song can choke me up for so many reasons, including Tammi's struggle, yet, it is also so uplifting with theme of the lyrics focussing on the strength of love. A true Motown masterpiece. I remember reading somewhere that at the weekly Q/A meeting for the release of new singles, the song was played and that Berry Gordy decided unilaterally to release it immediately before the song had finished. Clearly he detected the magic.

Still holding on at 98 this week...

This song can choke me up for so many reasons, including Tammi's struggle, yet, it is also so uplifting with theme of the lyrics focussing on the strength of love. A true Motown masterpiece. I remember reading somewhere that at the weekly Q/A meeting for the release of new singles, the song was played and that Berry Gordy decided unilaterally to release it immediately before the song had finished. Clearly he detected the magic.
    Yeah it's almost as if that song was written in tribute to Tammi. Like the lyrics, the emotion in their voices [[especially Marvin's), the production was even solemn, it was close to perfection in pop music as one could get.

Yeah it's almost as if that song was written in tribute to Tammi. Like the lyrics, the emotion in their voices [[especially Marvin's), the production was even solemn, it was close to perfection in pop music as one could get.
    I love the playfulness in the Expo video of this song. Tammi had Marvin in the palm of her hand and I'm sure he loved it.

https://youtu.be/IC5PL0XImjw?si=1-21tXjuhEazcdju

Back to number 90 again!