[REMOVE ADS]

Motown And Martin Luther King Jr.’s ‘I Have A Dream’ Speech

From udiscovermusic.com-

It was perhaps inevitable that The Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and Motown Records would work together. As the premier figure in the Civil Rights movement of the 60s, Dr. King’s campaign for equality, justice, and liberation was exemplified in some ways by America’s No. 1 black-owned record label. Motown, an enterprise that primarily signed African-American artists, was well aware of Dr. King’s campaigning theology, even when the white teenage record buyers the company courted may not have been ready to embrace the cause of Civil Rights.
    But while Motown’s links to Dr. King’s campaign may have been almost invisible to the outside world at times, there is no doubting the company’s commitment. From its artists to its founding father, Berry Gordy Jr., Motown celebrated Dr. King’s work wholeheartedly – with soul, you might say. It released albums of his most pivotal speeches, and their words, recorded for posterity by Motown, still resonate.

Click here to read full article-
    Motown And Martin Luther King Jr.’s ‘I Have A Dream’ Speech [udiscovermusic.com]

You may already have these 45's for the Reverend DR Martin Luther King, I also have both sides on youtube. Long time ago I had the Album.

First I have ever heard about a recording by MLK on the MELROSE label.

Can you provide the background on this label? Were any other Motown recordings ever released on it?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    First I have ever heard about a recording by MLK on the MELROSE label.

Can you provide the background on this label? Were any other Motown recordings ever released on it?

Thanks.
    I looked up this release of Dr. King's speeches on the Discogs site and only found two releases on the Melrose Records label. One was a Christmas album by The DECA Blazers and the other was the Dr. King single [and didn't find any other Motown Recordings released on Melrose].

I've always wanted to find the two Martin Luther King Motown albums on the Gordy label, but they've proven to be incredibly rare. Other early Motown albums such as Ralph Sharon on Gordy, Amos Milburn on Motown, and The Gospel Stars on Tamla were readily available in the mid-1960s' close-out bins, but those two Gordy albums have remained impossibly-elusive.

About the same time they produced the Melrose 45 for Dr Martin and can't remember if Berry was involved? The City of Melrose, they present the annual Day of Service in honor of Martin Luther King Jr. Day [[MLK Day) even now every year.

That's all I know as it was mentioned alongside with the Gordy 45 EP, I just came across the Melrose record and was keen to get it anyway, at least well over 25 yrs ago.

Gary:
    I only had one of the two Motown MLK albums from memory, all of those Albums were issued in the Mid 7T's from The "Blues & Soul" magazine, I had sent for three of the Albums. I lost them all along with many others in the late 9T's. Looks like the albums from the 6T's ended up in London?

https://www.cityofmelrose.org/home/n...lk-day-service
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 01-16-2024 at 05:44 AM.

In the UK I've never had any trouble obtaining the MLK USA issued albums other than perhaps the Black Forum one [[but maybe I just didn't look for it). Nor did I have any trouble obtaining the Compact Command Performances Motown CD. However, the UK issued LP isn't particularly common and a bit harder to get than the Gordy albums.

I think I'd still like to obtain the Motown cassette versions of The Great March On Washington and The Great March To Freedom [[I only have "Free At Last" on cassette). But those speeches have been issued by other labels on CD so presumably Motown were not the only ones making recordings. I can't imagin. them all being derived from the Motown tapes but then weren't they passed to the family of MLK so maybe they are.

The problem these days is the cost of shipping to the UK from the USA which really puts the mockers on any purchase now - I'm so glad I no longer collect vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Please be aware that the seller grades the quality of the record as Good +

Note: The pictured item may be a stock photo and not necessarily the item in the description. Please read item specifics above before purchasing. Thanks. Vinyl & Shellac are visually graded unless otherwise noted.

Grading Guidelines...
    Mint-We Do Not Grade Anything as Mint, regardless if the LP is still sealed.

Near-Mint-1 or less surface scratches, plays well, nice overall.

VG++-Couple minor surface scuffs or scratches, plays well overall.

VG+-Couple minor surface scratches and/or scuffs, plays well with minimal popping at most.

VG-A few or several minor, or somewhat minor scratches, most will be surface, others might be deeper, but shouldn't skip or stick.

VG- Several scratches, some may be deeper, may or may not skip during play, usually only sold due to rarity.

G-Usually only sold due to rarity, several or many scratches some deeper than others, may have a skip or 2, a "play copy" to be sure, or just great to have due to rarity.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    In the UK I've never had any trouble obtaining the MLK USA issued albums other than perhaps the Black Forum one [[but maybe I just didn't look for it). Nor did I have any trouble obtaining the Compact Command Performances Motown CD. However, the UK issued LP isn't particularly common and a bit harder to get than the Gordy albums.

I think I'd still like to obtain the Motown cassette versions of The Great March On Washington and The Great March To Freedom [[I only have "Free At Last" on cassette). But those speeches have been issued by other labels on CD so presumably Motown were not the only ones making recordings. I can't imagin. them all being derived from the Motown tapes but then weren't they passed to the family of MLK so maybe they are.

The problem these days is the cost of shipping to the UK from the USA which really puts the mockers on any purchase now - I'm so glad I no longer collect vinyl.
    I totally agree with the cost of shipping to the UK from the USA and also from the USA to the UK. It is totally ridiculous and getting more costly every time the postal rates go up.

One comment I wanted to make about the Compact Command Performances CD is this. The booklet in the CD includes complete transcriptions. Another little tidbit about the release is that it was compiled and mastered by Russ Terrana , Hitsville U.S.A. Recording Studios. This CD is really scarce and it took me years upon years to obtain a decent copy. I ultimately secured one.