[REMOVE ADS]

Anyone here old enough to remember 'Hit Records'?

Hit Records of Nashville [[archive.org)

They sold for 39C at the Dime Store. I remember having a few of the 45's as a kid. A number of years ago, I found a CD of the 'Girl Groups' from Hit Records. Come to find out, it was mostly a kid by the name of Alpha Zoe who was singing on these. The girl could really sing. Sad she was never able to have a bigger career.

The Amazing Alpha Zoe - Hit Records of Nashville [[archive.org)

Alpha Zoe Hall and Hit Records, Nashville - E. Mark Windle. – A Nickel And A Nail [[a-nickel-and-a-nail.myshopify.com)
    This is the CD I have. Almost all are Alpha Zoe [[Hall) singing.

THE GIRL GROUPS OF HIT RECORDS
    The girl groups of Hit Records includes the Dacrons, Scotties, Houstons, Belles, Jewels and many others! 31 tracks.
    • Baby Love - Jenny & Jewels
    • Be My Baby - Georgettes
    • Da Doo Ron Ron - Alpha Zoe
    • Don't Hang Up - Dacrons
    • Don't Say Nothing Bad About My Baby - Cara Wilson
    • Down at Papa Joe's - Tennessee Six plus Four More
    • Foolish Little Girl - Clara Wilson & Cleftones
    • Gravy - Peggy Gaines
    • He's A Rebel - Gleams
    • He's So Fine - Dacrons
    • I Will Follow Him - Connie & Clara
    • In and Out of Love - Jenny & Jewels
    • Johnny Loves Me - Amy & Jarretts
    • Keep Your Hands Off My Baby - Alpha Zoe
    • Let's Turkey Trot - Alpha Zoe
    • Loco Motion - Peggy Gaines
    My Boyfriends Back - Dot Hester
    My Guy - Clara Wilson
    Our Day Will Come - Clara & Cleftones
    People Say - The Flower Sisters
    Playboy - Peggy Gaines
    Popsicles Icicles - Scotties
    Quicksand - Gerry & Georgettes
    Ride - Peggy Gaines
    Sally Go Round the Roses - Belles
    She's A Fool - Connie Dee
    South Street - Dacrons
    Tell Him - Peggy Gaines
    The Boy Next Door - Belles
    Then He Kissed Me - Dacrons
    Where Did Our Love Go - Houstons
    Hit 39: $17.99

And for those of you who like girl groups.
    The Girl Sound [[doowopshoobop.com)
    Last edited by lakeside; 01-14-2024 at 09:39 PM.

I absolutely do remember HIT Records! Our family had a smattering of them when I was a kid. We had Alpha Zoe singing "You Beat Me to the Punch" and the Boots Purcell Combo doing "Desafinado," among others. And yes, Alpha was quite good!

If you are talking about the series I think you are, yes I remember them and owned a few of them. I might not be able to remember the artist's names, but I remember a lady named Sherri something did Petula Clark's Sign of the Times. I also remember having versions of I Am a Rock, Rhapsody in the Rain, and one of the Lovin Spoonful songs, but I can't remember which one it was. If I recall, the two sides were seldom if ever by the same artist and there might not be any connection between the two songs. For example, you might get a solo female song on one side and a male group on the other. Does that sound like the same series you were describing?

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  21.1 KB
    I have tried out hundreds of different Hit Records [[budget label) over the years, and only kept a few. Most of them were terrible covers or remakes by not-very talented or enthusiastic pop singers. A few of them were surprise gems, likely by known R&B and Soul single artists or groups. I have some terrific versions of hit songs on the label. On most of these records, the artists and groups didn't use their own names, but a few did, during times they weren't under contract to any regular commercial label. I have a few by The Ink Spots. Otherwise, I have several hit R&B tunes, like The Dell-Vikings' "Whispering Bells" and other R&B classics done in unusually good versions, most likely by known R&B groups, and also a couple early Soul hit songs done really well by Soul artists. Unfortunately, I'm not with my main 45s collection right now, so I can't look through my Hit records. Not that it would matter, as I can't remember in which room, on which wall, I filed them. For the most part, I file by city of location of the record company/or production, so Hit would be on my Southern labels wall if it was located in Nashville, or on my Los Angeles wall if located in Los Angeles. I've forgotten, as I get the budge 45 labels confused.

The Signs. - E. Mark Windle - Biographer and freelance writing services [[windlefreelance.com)

Nashville, Tennessee 30 years ago in February 1992

Ricky RogersNashville Tennessean

Amber Hall holds a sign at her Nashville home Feb. 3, 1992, that her mother, Alpha Zoe Hall, bought at an antique shop on Gallatin Road 17 years ago to keep anyone from ever seeing it again. Years later, when her son was studying black history, she retrieved the sign from its hiding place. The "Colored Waiting Room" sign originally hanged in the old Union Station train depot.
    Ricky Rogers / The Tennessean

Quite a few HIT label 45's are chased / collected by UK soul / NS fans ... singles by the likes of Herbert Hunter being one such artist who's 45's are in demand.
    Female trio Jenny & the Jewels covered a few Motown tracks & similar stuff.