[REMOVE ADS]

Upcoming milestone for Diana Ross

As many members are aware, March 26, 2024, our amazing Diana Ross will turn 80 years old.

What would be an appropriate celebration for this milestone? What would everyone like to see?

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    As many members are aware, March 26, 2024, our amazing Diana Ross will turn 80 years old.

What would be an appropriate celebration for this milestone? What would everyone like to see?
    I'd like to see her with continued good health and happiness and I'd like to see her fans appreciate what she does at eighty years old, instead of bitching that she doesn't do enough

a joint interview with her and her kids .... no seriously: with Berry Gordy, but I can't for the life of me think of who should do it.... not the usual suspects ....somebody qualified with music industry knowledge, maybe Nelson George.

A serious and detailed interview looking at her career conducted by someone with actual facts would be great.

But she's never really done one before, so doubt she would do one now.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I'd like to see her with continued good health and happiness and I'd like to see her fans appreciate what she does at eighty years old, instead of bitching that she doesn't do enough
    I Agree; And I'm sure that the majority of her fans would agree with that as well. Along with that,I'd like to see a documentary on Diana's life & work [like the ones done for Dionne, Tina & Donna].

In honor of Diana's 80th birthday celebration, I would love for her to surprise us with the elusive album that Lionel Richie had wanted to produce on her. In turn, we fans reward her with enough sales to push the album to #1 on the charts! HAPPY 80th, Diana!!! And many happy returns!

For someone who has accomplished as much as she has, the decision for how she spends her birthday and the rest of her life should be up to her. If she wants to continue working and put out a new album every year then she should do it. If she wants a documentary made on her life, she should choose who she wants to produce it. If she wants to move to a deserted island and never be heard from again, she should do that.

I'd like to see this thread moved to the DRATS Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    For someone who has accomplished as much as she has, the decision for how she spends her birthday and the rest of her life should be up to her. If she wants to continue working and put out a new album every year then she should do it. If she wants a documentary made on her life, she should choose who she wants to produce it. If she wants to move to a deserted island and never be heard from again, she should do that.
    I think the idea was to discuss a fitting tribute as opposed to removing her decision to do as she pleases lol.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    I'd like to see this thread moved to the DRATS Forum.
    Compared to the old days, the participants are real ladies and gentlemen so I thought the person who started the thread wanted a wider response.

The interview is a good idea - no Oprah though.

Maybe Diana could do her own candid documentary with somebody that is recognized these days as top notch.

I still wish she would do her candid, career wrap up book - she doesn’t need to start talking about Smokey’s recent chat but she can’t do another “I’m a sparrow and I’ve had a blessed life and if anything bad ever happened to me, I’ll just spread more love.”

Rob. I'll make sure it ends up in the correct room.

I would love to see examples of her gorgeous gowns. She and I are
    contemporaries from Detroit. Always glamorous.

My mother got me her autograph when she was at Hudson's, back in the day.
    Wish I still had it. I think people need a reason to talk to a celebrity so they
    ask for an autograph.
    Last edited by 9A; 01-14-2024 at 04:45 PM.

Russ and Ralph and the Diana Ross concert in Central Park

Last edited by 9A; 01-14-2024 at 11:20 AM.

An autobiography is my biggest wish at this point in her career.. It would be so interesting, not to mention historically relevant to hear events from her perspective. I really hope she doesn’t let the opportunity slip by.

Firstly, her 75th birthday celebration was a complete debacle. She sold tickets to it, sang wildly off-key, and exhausted everyone. The one who thought of that idea should be banished forever.

For her 80th, a more dignified celebration is in order. Maybe she could also record a new version of Remember Me. The song now has a very different and deeper meaning for her. Valerie could slightly change the lyrics to make it less about a young love affair ending.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 01-14-2024 at 06:36 PM.

I'll never understand why some fans get "offended" by other fans being, well, fans. The entertainers I'm most fans of, I want to see and/or hear them do what they do best. Do they have the right to sit around and rock themselves to death in a rocking chair on their front porch? Absolutely, and who would begrudge them that right? But why shouldn't we fans say we want to see more, hear more? I know 80 year olds that are giving 40 year olds a run for their money in the active department. Diana's 80 aint your grandmother's 80. Even still, I don't think anyone is suggesting that she become an Olympic track star now or the next Winter Games queen. More music, some movies, that's what I'd like to see. If that's bitching, well, I'll wear it...proudly.

Regarding this milestone, I would like the entertainment industry to give this woman her flowers. A tribute, like the one Willie Nelson just got for his 90th, would be fitting. I definitely think a real autobiography would be great. A jazz and blues album would send me over the moon.

What are the odds that either the cancelled book from her fresh sobriety period or one that she has written since that time is in her will to be released after she has gone? That would be such a Diana thing to do, wouldn't it? Release the book when no one can ask her a single thing about it. I personally would get a kick out of that!

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I'll never understand why some fans get "offended" by other fans being, well, fans. The entertainers I'm most fans of, I want to see and/or hear them do what they do best. Do they have the right to sit around and rock themselves to death in a rocking chair on their front porch? Absolutely, and who would begrudge them that right? But why shouldn't we fans say we want to see more, hear more? I know 80 year olds that are giving 40 year olds a run for their money in the active department. Diana's 80 aint your grandmother's 80. Even still, I don't think anyone is suggesting that she become an Olympic track star now or the next Winter Games queen. More music, some movies, that's what I'd like to see. If that's bitching, well, I'll wear it...proudly.

Regarding this milestone, I would like the entertainment industry to give this woman her flowers. A tribute, like the one Willie Nelson just got for his 90th, would be fitting. I definitely think a real autobiography would be great. A jazz and blues album would send me over the moon.
    Ran, I don't think it's about fans being fans. Sometimes posts have been vicious and nasty as if the star only exists to meet the whims of the fans. If STAR doesn't do exactly what I want, how I want, and when I want then they are "lazy", "washed up", etc.

Simply wishing for another album, concert, etc. is perfectly understandable. What you wrote isn't "bitching". It's some of the nastiness that gets people riled up or offended. Imagine that, being offended on the internet! LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Ran, ...Sometimes posts have been vicious and nasty as if the star only exists to meet the whims of the fans. If STAR doesn't do exactly what I want, how I want, and when I want then they are "lazy", "washed up", etc.

It's some of the nastiness that gets people riled up or offended. Imagine that, being offended on the internet! LOL.
    Truth, thanxal. SDF has taught me that there as many kinds of "fans" as there are people. Lol.

ranran has the right idea about the TV special in which other celebs would salute her. Certainly not anything like a roast, but a real sincere tribute. The celebs that I can think of that have already received such an honor would be Billy Joel, Paul Simon, Carol Burnett, and quite recently Norman Lear. And speaking of the word "honor", has Diana already received a Kennedy Center Honor? If not, that would be more than fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    ranran has the right idea about the TV special in which other celebs would salute her. Certainly not anything like a roast, but a real sincere tribute. The celebs that I can think of that have already received such an honor would be Billy Joel, Paul Simon, Carol Burnett, and quite recently Norman Lear. And speaking of the word "honor", has Diana already received a Kennedy Center Honor? If not, that would be more than fitting.
    Diana received a Kennedy Center medal in 2007.

I think she'll spend the 80th celebrating it with her family. It's actually sad that her fellow Supremes/Primettes buddies never made it to 80:

Flo, as we all know, died at just 32 [[she would've been 81 on June 30th)
    Mary died at 76 [[she would've turned 80 twenty days before D's)
    Original Primette Betty McGlown died at 66.
    Original Supreme Barbara Martin was 76 [[same age Mary was when she passed).

Only Cindy has made it to 84. After Diana will be Scherrie Payne and Jean Terrell [[both November 1944 babies) turning 80.

Lynda Laurence and Scherrie Payne are the "babies" of the group. Susaye will turn 76 this year while Lynda - the youngest Supreme - will turn 75.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    What are the odds that either the cancelled book from her fresh sobriety period or one that she has written since that time is in her will to be released after she has gone? That would be such a Diana thing to do, wouldn't it? Release the book when no one can ask her a single thing about it. I personally would get a kick out of that!
    I imagine that one of her children would make some publishing deal to release the book if that happens.