[REMOVE ADS]

The Supremes "Torch Drive" Film

I recently added this relatively scarce "Detroit" magazine to my Supremes collection, dated July 30, 1967 and published by the Detroit Free Press. The article is regarding a movie they made for the "Torch Drive" done by the United Foundation in Detroit. It states the movie was a 17 minute 16mm color film that would be shown to hundreds of office, schools and factories in the Detroit area. Does anyone know if a print still exists or does anyone recall seeing it? I did a little bit of research and couldn't really find any information on the film, other than a few scans of the contents of this supplement.
    Thanks,
    Darin

Name:  IMG_7713.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  90.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by DWSheffer View Post
    I recently added this relatively scarce "Detroit" magazine to my Supremes collection, dated July 30, 1967 and published by the Detroit Free Press. The article is regarding a movie they made for the "Torch Drive" done by the United Foundation in Detroit. It states the movie was a 17 minute 16mm color film that would be shown to hundreds of office, schools and factories in the Detroit area. Does anyone know if a print still exists or does anyone recall seeing it? I did a little bit of research and couldn't really find any information on the film, other than a few scans of the contents of this supplement.
    Thanks,
    Darin

Name:  IMG_7713.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  90.0 KB
    I have seen it. It opens with them in the shot above performing "The Happening" and then transitions into them walking around the Brewster Projects where they are introduced themselves and then the majority of the rest of the film is footage of people who have benefited from the Torch Drive. I believe Diana narrates. It then ends with them performing "I Hear A Symphony" in the same costumes, same studio. If I'm not mistaken, it was filmed sometime in April - just before everything began to fall apart.

Brad did they perform the songs in full?

Also wasn't this the film where Florence and Mary originally had more lines but Diana threw a fit? I seem to recall Florence talked about this in the Lost Supreme.

Thanks Brad, nice to know the film still exists. Maybe someday it will be out there again for anyone to view.
    Darin

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post

Also wasn't this the film where Florence and Mary originally had more lines but Diana threw a fit? I seem to recall Florence talked about this in the Lost Supreme.
    Exactly what I was thinking. I seem to remember Flo being stopped mid-sentence while Diana shuffled over to BG demanding she be given all the dialogue. This left Flo and Mary with absolutely nothing. I think it hurt more because this was in the Brewster Projects where they all grew up together as equals.

the story of the lines and all was originally in Call Her Miss Ross. it does not appear in Randy's subsequent book.

the Lost Supreme book is mostly just regurgitating what others have wrote, i'm not sure just how much original research or material is really there.

why Randy included it in one book and not another, i don't know

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    the story of the lines and all was originally in Call Her Miss Ross. it does not appear in Randy's subsequent book.

the Lost Supreme book is mostly just regurgitating what others have wrote, i'm not sure just how much original research or material is really there.

why Randy included it in one book and not another, i don't know
    In the last edition of his book, Randy chose to focus less on Diana’s combative relationship with her fellow Supremes and more on the music. Perhaps he felt it had been repeated often enough.
    The incident regarding filming at the Brewster Projects was previously quite detailed, sounding totally in character for Diana as well as Flo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    In the last edition of his book, Randy chose to focus less on Diana’s combative relationship with her fellow Supremes and more on the music. Perhaps he felt it had been repeated often enough.
    The incident regarding filming at the Brewster Projects was previously quite detailed, sounding totally in character for Diana as well as Flo.
    the latest book seems to omit more of the sensational stories. there are still plenty of examples of conflict between the girls. it also removes sales data. i've looked through the notes in the back of CHMR and everything is thoroughly documented. but that doesn't mean that as time goes by, sources' credibility wanes. maybe it actually was the blurring of a couple other events, maybe it didn't happen at all, maybe it happened but in quite a different manner than the source recalled. all of those could be reasons to snip it from the new book. or maybe the new book was trying to show more of a balance of good and bad, more to show the dichotomy of her personality rather than just a bitch

there are several pics of the group on set for this film. one where they're each seated in directors chairs in these gold gowns. and the back of each chair says "Miss..."

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    the latest book seems to omit more of the sensational stories. there are still plenty of examples of conflict between the girls. it also removes sales data. i've looked through the notes in the back of CHMR and everything is thoroughly documented. but that doesn't mean that as time goes by, sources' credibility wanes. maybe it actually was the blurring of a couple other events, maybe it didn't happen at all, maybe it happened but in quite a different manner than the source recalled. all of those could be reasons to snip it from the new book. or maybe the new book was trying to show more of a balance of good and bad, more to show the dichotomy of her personality rather than just a bitch

There is a trend for anything which might reflect Diana in a bad light to be questioned for its accuracy or reliability. Anything positive she might have done remains the bona fide truth. Not quite so regarding Flo and Mary.
    As previously mentioned, this story to me fits perfectly with the women’s individual personalities, reminding me of what happened when they were recording “It Makes No Difference Now”.
    Good or bad, it’s all part of Supremes history that unfortunately can’t be airbrushed to suit the wants of the individual fan.
    I agree that Randy seems to have wanted to move away from the public perception of Diana as being a complete and utter bitch to reveal the reasoning behind some of her actions. It certainly made for a more rounded perspective.

Here are the pics included with the article......I just noticed in some unpublished photos I have of Diana and BG at Hitsville she's wearing the same leopard coat.

Name:  TD1.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  93.2 KB

Name:  TD2.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  92.9 KB

Name:  TD3.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  101.7 KB

Name:  TD4.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  110.5 KB

I wonder if this film received many screenings given that in late July the Detroit riots occurred and that changed the mindset of many in the Detroit area? Somehow a film urging people to give to a community fundraising drive would not have been diving into issues that incited the uprising.

Could it also have been pulled due to Flo's leaving the group?

Could it also have been pulled due to Flo's leaving the group?
    That does seem likely floy.

Fantastic stuff, DW!! Thanks for posting!

I doubt with all the time and resources put into the project that it would be pulled because Flo was gone.

It really does seem ridiculous to have a group promoting this but only one of them talks during the whole thing. Any wonder why they imploded?