[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Flo's Funeral

Flo's Funeral

Did any other Supremes, besides Diana and Mary, attend Flo's funeral? Betty or Barbara? AND YES, I KNOW BETTY WAS NOT A SUPREME.

But Cindy? She seemed to be friendly enough with Flo in her later years? Scherrie or Susaye? They would have been the Supremes lineup when Flo passed. I can't imagine Jean or Lynda, but?

NO they did not

Who all from Motown in general attended? The Four Tops and Stevie Wonder I know were there. Wasn't Gladys from the Marvelettes there as well?

I think Cindy was friendly enough with Flo, but A- not close enough to attend, and B- given the circumstances surrounding her entrance as a Supreme, she may have deemed it inappropriate to be there. That, of course, is pure speculation.

I'm not aware of other Supremes attending her funeral. Cindy was just fired from the group so I highly doubt she was in any mood to be around Mary or Diana.

I do remember hearing the Vandellas [[Roz and Annette) were at the funeral. I'm sure there are others.

Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    I think Cindy was friendly enough with Flo, but A- not close enough to attend, and B- given the circumstances surrounding her entrance as a Supreme, she may have deemed it inappropriate to be there. That, of course, is pure speculation.
    Cindy said diana was devastated by the news, and she assumed Mary was as well. Cindy had known Florence for years and really liked her, although she did not know her well. I don’t know if she thought about going to the funeral or not, she never mentioned to me if she was making a decision about that or not. my guess is that she was not looking to spend any extra dollars at that point and I don’t know if it would’ve been awkward or not seeing Mary after being fired from the group. They were hard feelings there but I can’t say that Mary‘s presence at the funeral Made a difference on whether or not Cindy attended.

I know the Supremes weren't on and popping by the time of Florence's death [[in fact, just a year later, Mary would leave the group for her solo career) but I think we would've known if Cindy was there because she was a Motowner as well as a Supreme.

As for Barbara and Betty [[God rest both their souls as well), I doubt they went and I feel because they are very private they didn't wanna draw too much attention and it's unlikely they would've had they attended but no, I think Diana and Mary were the only other Supremes to attend and that seems fair: those two shared the most history with Flo, whether people like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Who all from Motown in general attended? The Four Tops and Stevie Wonder I know were there. Wasn't Gladys from the Marvelettes there as well?
    I've never heard Gladys was there, but Wanda was there. Marv Johnson was a pallbearer. Roz and Annette of the Vandellas were there. Theron Hill once sang with the Tops before they came to Motown and I think he was part of some other Detroit groups. I'm unaware of him actually being at Motown. Anyway, he was there and was also a pallbearer. I imagine there were other Motowners there who might not have "rated" notice, as well as relatives of Motowners who stood in for their relatives who couldn't make it.

Here is the Detroit Free Press article describing the funeral. It mentions some of the celebs who sent flowers but doesn't mention who was in attendance aside from Stevie, Diane and Mary. It's in 2 parts as this is just a "copy" of the article which spanned two pages.

Interesting that Peter Benjaminson's name is one of the bylines on the article!

https://www.newspapers.com/article/d.../?locale=en-US

https://www.newspapers.com/article/d...al-p/20515827/
    Last edited by kenneth; 01-06-2024 at 06:41 PM.

About Cindy having hard feelings for Mary after the termination, apparently she didn't. The jeweled hat Mary is wearing was borrowed from Cindy. Scherrie had one just like it. Mary also wore that hat on the back cover of High Energy.

Cindy was not one to carry a grudge.

I seem to recall that Barbara Martin either attended the viewing or the funeral. I can't be certain. No word if Betty was there.

If Betty, Barbara or Cindy attended there was no mention of them attending by Motown or the press or from Diana or Mary. Betty and Barbara were definitely very private. In fact after leaving the Primettes I don't remember ever hearing any contact from Betty with the girls. Barbara did contact Flo once after her fall in Detroit but thats all I remember besides them going to her wedding and Barbara at one of he shows in Detroit. In my opinion those were high school friendships' that just went into different different as they got older.

That DianE Ross should have been thrown out of the funeral. She threw Flo out of the group and killed her! I seen it!

Quote Originally Posted by REYnoldo Chavez View Post
    That DianE Ross should have been thrown out of the funeral. She threw Flo out of the group and killed her! I seen it!
    seen it with what - you magic third eye? or your brown eye

Flo is still alive. It's all a grand conspiracy to smear Diana and Berry.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Flo is still alive. It's all a grand conspiracy to smear Diana and Berry.
    haha - she actually intercepted Diana's original RTL offer to mary of $10M and reduced it to $2, knowing it would spark WW3 lol