[REMOVE ADS]

The Two Sides of Mary Wells [2023 Yellow Vinyl Reissue]

Earlier this week, I was causally browsing Mary Wells records being offered online and was surprised to see that her Atco album, "The Two Sides of Mary Wells", was reissued by Music On Vinyl in September. It is a limited edition yellow vinyl pressing of 750 units. You can read more about it here...

https://www.musiconvinyl.com/catalog...-of-mary-wells

Name:  7216_foto2_product_xl.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  87.3 KB

guess who sent Mary the earrings she is wearing in the pix with the green sweater?LOL, my Mom helped me pick them out at J.C. Penney in the Winter Park Mall.Florida.Sent them to her in care of her manager, George Scheck in New York.You can imagine how crazy I went when that LP was released.

That is super cool, motony! Thanks for sharing!

This is, I think, the lamest of her albums, mostly covers. I even prefer the Beatles set she did to this.

Sure miss hearing her voice though

whats so strange about this LP is that "Can't You See Your Losing Me", the flip side of the hit "Dear Lover" actually was a hit itself in several cities like Philly & even made the HOT 100 BEFORE "Dear Lover", reaching #94 and was not included on the above album.When this album came out, her new 45 "Such A Sweet Thing" which I think is one of her best, was not included on the album. It was like there were always secret forces working against her career once she left Motown. It was like Atlantic was being paid to kill her career.

I highly doubt that they will ever manage to sell 750 limited edition vinyl records of this interesting issuance.

Why oh why don't they manufacture 750 limited edition CDs in the manner Hip O Select used to do? I am certain they would sell out rapidly. I'd really like to obtain it but only in a CD format.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I highly doubt that they will ever manage to sell 750 limited edition vinyl records of this interesting issuance.

Why oh why don't they manufacture 750 limited edition CDs in the manner Hip O Select used to do? I am certain they would sell out rapidly. I'd really like to obtain it but only in a CD format.
    I agree 100% - why the hell no CD? BTW I love your word "issuance". That's a new one on me LOL

There have been a couple of CD reissues of this album. The first straight to CD release came out in 2005 by DBK Records, and there are still plenty of new copies for sale on eBay at reasonable prices. The second CD reissue came from Oldays Records in Japan, which was released around 5 years ago with 7 bonus tracks, including the singles that motony previously mentioned above. It is in a mini LP replica format. This release is also on eBay [there is currently 1 copy left] and can also be ordered from here:

https://cdsvinyljapan.com/en-at/products/4582239489253

I seem to remember discussing the Japanese CD on this forum, at the time of release. I had suspected that the original album tracks were sourced from the 2005 release and the remainder from cleaned up vinyl transfers.
    Last edited by carlo; 01-02-2024 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    guess who sent Mary the earrings she is wearing in the pix with the green sweater?LOL, my Mom helped me pick them out at J.C. Penney in the Winter Park Mall.Florida.Sent them to her in care of her manager, George Scheck in New York.You can imagine how crazy I went when that LP was released.
    You win the grand prize for most fantastic of unlikely outcomes of a fan's interaction.