[REMOVE ADS]

Which song epitimises The Supremes for you?

For me it is Back In My Arms Again. HDH provided great lyrics and production with The Supremes adding great vocals and class. Also, a fantastic performance by The Funk Bros. Wonderful.

This video sums it all up for me, three beautiful and talented young ladies:

https://youtu.be/ZTTlbr-oXtg?si=zXhp-R87Ex_fdWcD

Which is your choice of song?

Happy New Year to everyone!

Stop in the name of love and you can't hurry love tie for me.
    You keep me hanging on third choice

The joyous “I Hear A. Symphony” for me. I never tire of hearing it.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    For me it is Back In My Arms Again. HDH provided great lyrics and production with The Supremes adding great vocals and class. Also, a fantastic performance by The Funk Bros. Wonderful.

I agree. It was this song that brought me into the "Supremes" camp.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post

For me it is Stop! In the Name of Love. It is the first Supremes song I loved, the one that introduced me to the Supremes [and Motown!] and the one they performed the first time I saw them on television [The Hollywood Palace].

Otherwise, I would have totally agreed with you about Back in My Arms Again and your reasons why. That video is also my favorite video of them.

Reflections is way up there for me - I even like to think that both Flo and Cindy are on there somewhere…

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    Reflections is way up there for me - I even like to think that both Flo and Cindy are on there somewhere…
    Wouldn't that have been cool?

Is there a song with both Flo and Cindy, I wonder? Perhaps something Cindy was dubbed in on. I always assumed that Cindy was on "In and Out of Love", but of course I know she isn't. But that would have been an interesting trivia moment, if rather than dubbing the Andantes in with Flo and Mary, that Cindy was dubbed in.

I realize none of this has anything to do with the original question. My intention is not to hijack your thread Rovereab.

For me, it's my favorite Supremes song, "A Breath Taking Guy". Perfect example of what I love about Diana's voice. An excellent representation of Florence and Mary's fantastic harmony.

Stop in the Name of Love

Baby Love blew Motown and R n B open in Canada but Stop cemented it

Back in My Arms Again for me too.

Perhaps the only Supremes song that couldn't be covered by another Motown act.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    Back in My Arms Again for me too.

Perhaps the only Supremes song that couldn't be covered by another Motown act.
    I don't know. I have a suspicion that Martha and the Vandellas could have done justice to the song, including inserting Betty and Roz's names.

Stop! In the Name of Love because it's their most iconic song.

You Cant Hurry Love for me and I don't care who yawl say is in the background

For me it's "Nothing But Heartaches". The vocals, arrangement and production period is fantastic.

You Can't Hurry Love - My World Is Empty Without You - Come See About Me - Reflections - and many many others.

And as captainjames almost says above, I don't really care about who y'all say is in or not in the backgrounds. It's interesting, but it makes no difference - love them all as much as ever!

I love all of them that have Diana Ross's voice in them her voice is like no other , unbelievable, smooth and silky heaven, like everything that you can imagine, she was supreme, she still is supreme she will always be supreme

Everything Is Good About You
    and off course Back In My Arms Again

Quote Originally Posted by after you View Post
    I love all of them that have Diana Ross's voice in them her voice is like no other , unbelievable, smooth and silky heaven, like everything that you can imagine, she was supreme, she still is supreme she will always be supreme
    She will certainly always be best remembered as lead singer of the greatest girl group of all time.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 01-05-2024 at 10:09 AM.

Berry Gordy chose “I Hear A Symphony” as his favourite Supremes song.

I have 3 favorites that do it for me and won't be on any of your lists-Up The Ladder To The Roof, Stoned Love and I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking.
    From the original grouping Stop in the Name of Love seems to be the most iconic and remembered, Baby Love also remember quite a bit in media as well as Where Did Our Love Go.

For me, without question, it is Stop! In the Name of Love. Nothing else screams "Supremes", even though my fav is LILAIIMH.

wow - talk about a Sophie's Choice. it's too hard to boil this down to one. so i'm going to break the rules and list a whole bunch! lol

My Fav - You Can't Hurry Love. frankly it's my favorite song by any group, from any time

Pure Classic Motown - probably Back In My Arms Again. that driving beat is just soooooooo motown

Most iconic - Stop

Best by each lineup:
    DMF - YCHL
    DMC - Love Child
    JMC - Stoned Love [[although Ladder is a very close 2nd)
    JML - I Guess I'll Miss The Man
    SMC - not sure, since i don't really love either of the singles and i think of Walking as a MSS track. so i'm going with an album track You Can't Stop A Girl In Love
    MSS - Let Yourself Go

Best song for singing backing vocals - Come See about Me

best orchestration - Stoned Love

singles that really should have charted higher - My world, reflections, IGMYLM, Ladder, Stoned

worst single - touch

best pre-hit single - let me go the right way

Baby Love. It will alway be Baby Love for me. The quintessential Supremes song.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    wow - talk about a Sophie's Choice. it's too hard to boil this down to one. so i'm going to break the rules and list a whole bunch! lol
    I think I'll join you, sup, because it's Sunday.

My Fav - this changes but right now it's Everything Is Good About You

Pure Classic Motown - Agree. Back In My Arms Again.

Most iconic - Agree. Stop

Best by each lineup:
    DMF - Come See About Me [question about YCHL being DMF ]
    DMC - Love Child. Definitely, although really Diana & Andantes :[[
    JMC - Up the Ladder, with Stoned Love a close 2nd and Nathan Jones a close 3rd.
    JML - I Guess I'll Miss The Man, with 5:30 Plane a not that close 2nd
    SMC - It's All Been Said Before but I also like the version of The Sha La Bandit with all three leads.
    MSS - High Energy

Best song for singing backing vocals - Back In My Arms Again

best orchestration - I Hear a Symphony

singles that really should have charted higher - My World, Reflections [damn that Billy Joe!], Nathan Jones

worst single - Bad Weather

best pre-hit single - A Breathtaking Guy
    Last edited by lucky2012; 01-14-2024 at 01:24 PM.