[REMOVE ADS]

Keen observation of Diana live shortly before reach out and touch

DIANA ROSS CAN DO ANYTHING

By the time Motown’s diana ross finished with her first solo nightclub act, The “Let’s see if she can do it by herself show”at the Eden rock here, the former supreme proved that she is supreme in every category, and not at all dependent on others for her greatness

For the first time in this reviewer’s recollection, Miss Ross, looking skinny, but marvelous, seemed free: able to assert her full talents, without feeling the restraint of being 1/3 of an act.

And a new comedy side is exposed in a special treatment of “is that all there is?” in deliciously ghoulish overtones and lyrics.

There is, of course, the tribute to the hits made famous by the girls when they were all together: baby love, stop! in the name of love, reflections, etc. but this nostalgia is essential to bring Miss Ross up-to-date with her audience.

And the reaction of that audience? they may still be standing applauding the arrival of a great talent.

Her first solo cut has not been released yet, but Miss Ross has already proven that she can do anything.

Joe Fleischman
    Last edited by TheMotownManiac; 12-30-2023 at 03:09 AM.

This review doesn't shock me at all. The woman had just come off a two and a half year of a test solo run within a group. When the group became DRATS, Diana stepped her game up 100 percent. It's like when Flo was in the group, Diana was still very much Diane, one of the three girls from the projects. Once Flo left and the name changed, Diana really became DIANA. Mary and Cindy were now window dressing. Diana was often up there all alone. So had she left the group and gone on to a stage show that sucked, after all that work, something would have had to be wrong with her as an artist. I can only imagine how much more freeing it was for her to totally have all the focus, to not have to take Mary or Cindy into account of anything, and just do what she wanted to do.

I know there's the Grove show that I'm guessing was recorded for possible release. I have to assume that Diana's first show ever had to be recorded, if only because Gordy would have wanted to dissect it for improvements. I would certainly love to hear it. What I would really love to see is if any of those first shows were videoed. Now that would be something.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    This review doesn't shock me at all. The woman had just come off a two and a half year of a test solo run within a group. When the group became DRATS, Diana stepped her game up 100 percent. It's like when Flo was in the group, Diana was still very much Diane, one of the three girls from the projects. Once Flo left and the name changed, Diana really became DIANA. Mary and Cindy were now window dressing. Diana was often up there all alone. So had she left the group and gone on to a stage show that sucked, after all that work, something would have had to be wrong with her as an artist. I can only imagine how much more freeing it was for her to totally have all the focus, to not have to take Mary or Cindy into account of anything, and just do what she wanted to do.

I know there's the Grove show that I'm guessing was recorded for possible release. I have to assume that Diana's first show ever had to be recorded, if only because Gordy would have wanted to dissect it for improvements. I would certainly love to hear it. What I would really love to see is if any of those first shows were videoed. Now that would be something.
    I agree

Many years back, one of the Universal people said the group basically ended after 1967 and to be cautious about asking questions because I might get answers I didn’t like - I think I might have said Mary was my favourite Supreme - she was at the time. That seems incomprehensible to me now - but I just grew tired of the gregariousness and constant Diana talk

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I agree

Many years back, one of the Universal people said the group basically ended after 1967 and to be cautious about asking questions because I might get answers I didn’t like - I think I might have said Mary was my favourite Supreme - she was at the time. That seems incomprehensible to me now - but I just grew tired of the gregariousness and constant Diana talk
    I remember Mary wrote something similar in that the meeting they had in April of 1967 to discuss the future of Flo and the group was the last time they were really the Supremes.