[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Diana Ross Sales

https://chartmasters.org/diana-ross-...d-songs-sales/

This looks new and there are masses of information in here

You can also find Supremes information

I can’t say I’ve studied this closely - I scanned it for 10 or 15 minutes over Christmas

What caught my attention most of all was information indicating many [[or most) of the early Supremes singles selling over a million copies each. Also I remember being surprised by the sales of Everything is Everything

I looked at Aretha Franklin - it’s worth a look to see the differences

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    https://chartmasters.org/diana-ross-...d-songs-sales/

This looks new and there are masses of information in here

You can also find Supremes information

I can’t say I’ve studied this closely - I scanned it for 10 or 15 minutes over Christmas

What caught my attention most of all was information indicating many [[or most) of the early Supremes singles selling over a million copies each. Also I remember being surprised by the sales of Everything is Everything

I don’t understand what this chart is based on. They don’t have the real sales so, is this some ones projection? Please explain I don’t know what all those terms mean

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I don’t understand what this chart is based on. They don’t have the real sales so, is this some ones projection? Please explain I don’t know what all those terms mean
    I’m going to look further - there is lots of explanation - but can I give a synopsis? No.

There was massive research involved for sure

I looked at the page regarding sales for The Supremes and it makes sense - roughly 76 million records sold. Officially it's been stated they sold 20 million and that's just not believable. 60 years, 12 number one hits, 30+ albums and only 20 million sold just doesn't add up.

Yeah I agree.sales are confusing.
    I know some,both Where Did Our Live Go and AGo Go sold over three million each.
    Greatest Hits has sold over six million.
    This list was impressive but confusing.
    Was TCB missing??

TCB is in the compilation list

Taken together, the Ross and Supremes totals are impressive

No wonder everything about her is still an issue these days

I see why Randy deleted all the sales info from his updated biography - basically it was all outdated or plain wrong

I looked at Aretha Franklin - it’s worth a look to see the differences
    I checked out both. So much information to try to digest. The only thing I walked away with from scanning is that they both were killing the game, sales wise. I think worldwide Diana seems to have bigger numbers, but again that was from scanning. Of course Aretha has always been so much more than a number, one of the most lauded and applauded in history. My two favorite ladies.

Taken together, the Ross and Supremes totals are impressive

No wonder everything about her is still an issue these days

I see why Randy deleted all the sales info from his updated biography - basically it was all outdated or plain wrong
    There was massive research involved for sure
    This is certainly the most comprehensive study I've seen here [or anywhere else]. So much to unpack, but fascinating and convincing.

He counts on his obsessive passion for charts and his knowledge on the matter to rationalise sales.
    Those projections are plausible.
    I did a Billboard tally years ago.
    About LP's charts in the sixties. Barbra Streisand is the one with the most top5, top10 albums and the longest run inside the top200.
    Then comes The Supremes and at a distance Aretha.

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    He counts on his obsessive passion for charts and his knowledge on the matter to rationalise sales.
    Those projections are plausible.
    I did a Billboard tally years ago.
    About LP's charts in the sixties. Barbra Streisand is the one with the most top5, top10 albums and the longest run inside the top200.
    Then comes The Supremes and at a distance Aretha.
    The most plausible projections, estimates, figures I have yet seen, imo.

Barbra Streisand has always been [and remains] a big album seller.
    The Supremes were second only to the Beatles on and at the top of the singles charts in the 60's. They had a run of big album sellers 1964-1967.
    The achievements of Streisand, Supremes, Ross & Franklin are historically undeniable, no matter what the sources.

very impressive. alot of info
    some surprises, nice to see Baby Its Me did better than reported as did a few others

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    The most plausible projections, estimates, figures I have yet seen, imo.

Barbra Streisand has always been [and remains] a big album seller.
    The Supremes were second only to the Beatles on and at the top of the singles charts in the 60's. They had a run of big album sellers 1964-1967.
    The achievements of Streisand, Supremes, Ross & Franklin are historically undeniable, no matter what the sources.
    in the sixties alone, from Billboard : LP weeks on charts inside the top20

Streisand : 5 weeks #1 + 63 weeks [[#2,5) + 73 weeks [[#6,10) + 91 weeks [[#11, 20)
    Supremes : 8 weeks #1 + 46 weeks [[#2,5) + 37 weeks [[#6,10) + 84 weeks [[#11, 20)
    Franklin : 31 weeks [[#2,5) + 32 weeks [[#6,10) + 36 weeks [[#11, 20)
    Warwick : 7 weeks [[#6,10) + 26 weeks [[#11, 20)

Streisand LP spent 232 weeks in the TOP20, Supremes, 175 weeks, Aretha 101 weeks, and Dionne 33 weeks.

don't know if there was another woman between Aretha and Dionne. Maybe Joan Baez.

Who is behind this site?

This is as good as it gets it seems to me

It certainly showed the difference to me between the commerciality of Ross and the Supremes vs the artistry of Aretha Franklin

I don't think anyone can question how popular the Supremes were during their heyday. But as been frequently written in this forum over the years, the kids supposedly don't know who the Supremes or Diana Ross is. They do know Aretha Franklin. Her influence is everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I don't think anyone can question how popular the Supremes were during their heyday. But as been frequently written in this forum over the years, the kids supposedly don't know who the Supremes or Diana Ross is. They do know Aretha Franklin. Her influence is everywhere.
    It’s more like everyone knows Diana Ross but has no clue who any Supremes were

Sorry - I’ll wear the target for this because it’s true

Why apologise for something that's not your fault?

Universal to wear the target is perhaps more realistic - after all, they are in charge of publicity --- not your good self !!!
    Last edited by Starguard4; 01-01-2024 at 02:27 AM.

Now and then?

I remember interview, or maybe her bio, where Diana says that early on, there were articles where their names [[Wilson, Ballard, Birdsong) weren't mentioned.
    It seems to me that the Supremes are only identified to fan's circle.
    People know Diana Ross, they know The Supremes and that's it.

Not from my experience, and i meet a lot of young people. Mention the name Diana Ross and all you get back are blank stares Not the same with Cher, Dolly or even Aretha. I would say the name Supremes is slightly better known, but only marginally.
    Given Diana/Supremes relevance to music history it’s all rather sad, but with so little promotion perhaps understandable.

supremes top ten
    where did our love go 2927,000
    stop in the name of love 2608,
    love child 2600,
    you cant hurry love 2300
    baby love 2292
    you keep me haning on 2097
    someday well be together 1890
    stoned love 1832
    the happening 1788
    im gonna make you love me 1747,000
    all in all ,according to the this web site 18 milion sellers
    these are physical sales ,while down loading has the same songs but the order is different with You Cant Hurry love at #1

ross solo ,at a glance
    upside down 4978,000
    endless love 3970,
    aint no mountain 1888,
    touch me in the morning 1,985,000
    love hangover 1,685,000
    why do fools fall in love 1,668.
    do you know where your going 1,650,
    chain reaction 1,573,000
    coming out 1,163,000
    muscles 1,048

just fyi

Diana's name does not carry more weight than Aretha Franklin and no amount of digs at the Supremes will change that.

It certainly showed the difference to me between the commerciality of Ross and the Supremes vs the artistry of Aretha Franklin
    It's been my experience that people know who Diana Ross is, even Gen Zs [and I know and meet more than a few ], although I suspect knowledge about her significance and influence is decreasing over time. I think the Supremes are probably less widely known about by the younger generations and that also is truer as time goes by. I think recognition and praise from Beyonce and Taylor Swift [and Tracee Ellis and Evan Ross ] has helped keep Diana Ross' name & image out there. [I had to laugh about the Jeopardy contestants who thought Diana Ross was the 95-year-old recording artist with a new album, when it was Tony Bennett].

This new article has certainly shed some new light and figures on the Supremes' [and Ross's] commercial success. Aretha Franklin is a legend and icon in American music history perhaps more because of her artistry than her considerable commercial and chart success as the Queen of Soul. The Supremes' [and Ross's] recorded music legacy and hits, likewise, are why they are important in pop music history and American social history.
    Last edited by lucky2012; 01-01-2024 at 02:30 PM.

Nice post Lucky - I certainly agree

Is it possible that because Diana Ross was a manufactured product by the owner of a record company her legacy is fading faster then others. She was Berry Gordy’s creation, something he himself had attested to.
    It’s certainly something one could never say of Aretha and many others who’s talent was far more organic and unprocessed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Is it possible that because Diana Ross was a manufactured product by the owner of a record company her legacy is fading faster then others. She was Berry Gordy’s creation, something he himself had attested to.
    It’s certainly something one could never say of Aretha and many others who’s talent was far more organic and unprocessed.
    I think the bigger question is why after all these decades, and her place firmly etched in music history, is it necessary to compare Diana Ross to Queen Aretha Franklin? Has Diana still not done enough to let her talent speak for itself?

I think the bigger question is why after all these decades, and her place firmly etched in music history, is it necessary to compare Diana Ross to Queen Aretha Franklin? Has Diana still not done enough to let her talent speak for itself?
    Not comparing, just pondering reasons that artists like Aretha are still well remembered by the youth sector. At least in my experience.

Both iconic both forever remembered and rarely compared because they achieved different heights.

Both are not front of mind for the young crowd - they have Taylor and Beyonce

A question to ponder - is Whitney any more remembered than Aretha or Diana?

The reason I thought the sales of Diana vs Aretha was interesting was that many years ago I read an interview with Jerry Wexler who said Aretha had only had one real million seller and it was Amazing Grace - he said many people thought the sales were much greater

As someone above said, Aretha’s achievements were greater artistic than Diana while Diana’s were commercial and performance based

How many of us remember and know Pearl Bailey, Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughn,Etta James etc?

But all these people were great in their own way!

Due to the timeframe Whitney is definitely remembered more.
    As regards longevity and being remembered, lack of any product and promotion regarding the Supremes legacy and her own has hurt Diana as much as the group. It also doesn’t help that for the most part Diana has distanced herself from anything Supreme. She sings Supremes songs because she knows that’s what the public expect for the price of their ticket.
    It seems an odd move considering that like it or not, her role as lead singer of the Supremes will historically remain what she is best remembered for.
    We really do need that book.

The book that sets the record straight and speaks honestly, frankly and from the heart would be wise

No spreading any more love and no gossip rag like so many others have already written

Whitney is definitely considered more famous and iconic than Diana. Whitney, like Aretha, is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Like Aretha, Whitney has a record that's been enshrined in the Library of Congress' National Recording Registry. On Spotify, at least three of her songs [[I Wanna Dance with Somebody, Higher Love and I Will Always Love You) have accumulated from more than half a billion to over a billion streams. Obviously she won six competitive Grammys. Her exposure on MTV in the mid-1980s made her an icon almost immediately. More iconic performances. She's had movies made about her life.

So I would say Whitney and Aretha are actually far more remembered than Diana. Not saying Diana has been forgotten about but I don't think she immediately gets the reactions she used to get and that may be due to her choosing to remain below radar after the blowup from the RTL incident in 2000. I don't think Diana herself is satisfied with her legacy and considering her solo career was far more bumpy than the careers of Whitney and Aretha, I'm sure that left her with a thorn on her side and why she decided to be around her family than to deal with the business.

Depends on whom you ask. I definitely think Diana could've been more successful than she was. Not that she wasn't [[having six number one singles on the pop chart was not as easy at it appeared pre-streaming) but considering how Motown piled a lot of Diana albums on top of each other with minimal promotion became a problem in the long run.

That's actually a great point. I know some folks hate to hear that but Diana was always looked on as a brand rather than as an artist. From the beginning, Berry would tell fellow executives that "that kid is gonna take us to the top", meaning Diana. So that's why he zeroed in on her, not just for her voice [["she's radio friendly and can appeal to the youth") but her look and style. You compare that to Aretha, who was considered more "real", you can see why the GP gravitated towards Aretha. Diana to a lot of people represented glam and glitz and a lot of people couldn't really relate to that even if she occasionally produced good music. The Supremes were pretty similar in that regard.

Diana is famous but not that well known like that lol
    She probably was in 1976 but in 2024? I think that well's run dry a bit.
    Last edited by midnightman; 01-02-2024 at 02:16 PM.

All good points made here. I look at legendary ladies like Tina and Cher, both of whom were/are managed by Roger Davies [Cher has been under his management since 1999]. Dolly Parton seems to have teamed up with an amazing manager for quite some time now, who has given her a career renaissance [multiple specials, movies, products at Walmart, etc]. Same goes for Patti LaBelle, who has had a second career with her cook books, her cooking show, her Walmart branded foods, etc. Dionne has received a lot of press with her very authentic and honest Tweets, which was a great strategy [her son has had a lot to do with that, along with her niece].

I think Diana could have had a similar trajectory as her cohorts during the past 20 years, if she had been willing to give the reins over to someone else, in terms of managing her career. However, I think she wants far too much control in every area of her career, for that to have ever been fathomable. I would also suspect that everyone in the music industry knows this about her, which would negatively impact the number of opportunities coming her way. No one is going to want to help you if they know that you don't want the help and you're not agreeable to most things. At some point, your phone stops ringing. Tyler Perry was begging her to return his calls, but she isn't interested in being a supporting actress or co-star. Even Barbra Streisand took a lesser role when she did more recent movies like "Meet the Fockers". Diana would never. It is my understanding that Berry told her not to do RTL, but she didn't listen. She wants to do her own thing, for better or worse. As The Supremes sang, "It's all been said before..."
    Last edited by carlo; 01-02-2024 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    All good points made here. I look at legendary ladies like Tina and Cher, both of whom were/are managed by Roger Davies [Cher has been under his management since 1999]. Dolly Parton seems to have teamed up with an amazing manager for quite some time now, who has given her a career renaissance [multiple specials, movies, products at Walmart, etc]. Same goes for Patti LaBelle, who has had a second career with her cook books, her cooking show, her Walmart branded foods, etc. Dionne has received a lot of press with her very authentic and honest Tweets, which was a great strategy [her son has had a lot to do with that, along with her niece].

I think Diana could have had a similar trajectory as her cohorts during the past 20 years, if she had been willing to give the reins over to someone else, in terms of managing her career. However, I think she wants far too much control in every area of her career, for that to have ever been fathomable. I would also suspect that everyone in the music industry knows this about her, which would negatively impact the number of opportunities coming her way. No one is going to want to help you if they know that you don't want the help and you're not agreeable to most things. Tyler Perry was begging her to return his calls, but she isn't interested in being any co-star. Even Barbra Streisand took a lesser role when she did more recent movies like "Meet the Fockers". Diana would never. It is my understanding that Berry told her not to do RTL, but she didn't listen. She wants to do her own thing, for better or worse. As The Supremes sang, "It's all been said before..."
    Yeah, Diana is obsessed with control. Diana is an Aries much like Marvin Gaye [[and Aretha, Chaka, Mariah, etc.) and as someone who is also an Aries, let me tell you something: we are stuck in our ways and VERY stubborn and hate it when people wanna take the reins for us when we wanna do it all by ourselves. Diana, especially after leaving Motown the first time in 1980, is not gonna want anyone handling her own affairs, no matter if they turned out disastrous or not. She likes to own her mess apparently. Like yeah she would rant a lot when things didn't go her way but it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Yeah, Diana is obsessed with control. Diana is an Aries much like Marvin Gaye [[and Aretha, Chaka, Mariah, etc.) and as someone who is also an Aries, let me tell you something: we are stuck in our ways and VERY stubborn and hate it when people wanna take the reins for us when we wanna do it all by ourselves. Diana, especially after leaving Motown the first time in 1980, is not gonna want anyone handling her own affairs, no matter if they turned out disastrous or not. She likes to own her mess apparently. Like yeah she would rant a lot when things didn't go her way but it is what it is.
    Well said. I also get it, as I'm a Virgo and we have some similar overlapping qualities, in regards to wanting to do things on our own terms [Beyonce is a Virgo]. I agree with you...after 1980, she was done with conceding to someone else. As much as she has always loved Berry, I think his overly controlling ways left a mark on her, enough to make her very slow to trusting others.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Well said. I also get it, as I'm a Virgo and we have some similar overlapping qualities, in regards to wanting to do things on our own terms [Beyonce is a Virgo]. I agree with you...after 1980, she was done with conceding to someone else. As much as she has always loved Berry, I think his overly controlling ways left a mark on her, enough to make her very slow to trusting others.
    Exactly. I read books on what was going on with them and I can see why Diana didn't trust too many people after she left Motown. Berry put her THROUGH IT!

That's actually a great point. I know some folks hate to hear that but Diana was always looked on as a brand rather than as an artist. From the beginning, Berry would tell fellow executives that "that kid is gonna take us to the top", meaning Diana. So that's why he zeroed in on her, not just for her voice [["she's radio friendly and can appeal to the youth") but her look and style. You compare that to Aretha, who was considered more "real", you can see why the GP gravitated towards Aretha. Diana to a lot of people represented glam and glitz and a lot of people couldn't really relate to that even if she occasionally produced good music. The Supremes were pretty similar in that regard.
    That’s exactly the point i was trying to make midnight.

This is a surprise about all the Aries; I didn’t think it mattered what sign you are.

Whitney is definitely considered more famous and iconic than Diana. Whitney, like Aretha, is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Like Aretha, Whitney has a record that's been enshrined in the Library of Congress' National Recording Registry. On Spotify, at least three of her songs [[I Wanna Dance with Somebody, Higher Love and I Will Always Love You) have accumulated from more than half a billion to over a billion streams. Obviously she won six competitive Grammys. Her exposure on MTV in the mid-1980s made her an icon almost immediately. More iconic performances. She's had movies made about her life.

So I would say Whitney and Aretha are actually far more remembered than Diana. Not saying Diana has been forgotten about but I don't think she immediately gets the reactions she used to get and that may be due to her choosing to remain below radar after the blowup from the RTL incident in 2000. I don't think Diana herself is satisfied with her legacy and considering her solo career was far more bumpy than the careers of Whitney and Aretha, I'm sure that left her with a thorn on her side and why she decided to be around her family than to deal with the business.
    Geez Whitney was dead at a young age - that’s a heck of a final bump.

Not comparing, just pondering reasons that artists like Aretha are still well remembered by the youth sector. At least in my experience.
    I understood what you were saying. My post was regarding how this turned into a Diana vs Aretha contest from the jump. It seems like sometimes it's not enough to just say Diana Ross is great, and here are the reasons why. Instead it has to be framed with digs at her peers, especially her fellow Supremes.

To be fair, Diana is also in the HOF and has a song in the Library of Congress National Recording Registry...both as a Supreme. So basically, she has the same amount of RARHOF inductions as Flo and Mary, and the same amount of songs in the National Recording Registry as Flo and Mary. This is why the comparisons are just silly at this point. Diana Ross is one of the greatest to ever do it. Her influence is all over the industry. She is not forgotten, and I suspect the day that she is forgotten is probably quite some time after the last person living during her own lifetime has passed on. Her career speaks for itself, as does Aretha's, Barbra's, Cher's, etc.

Having said that, I do think it's worth mentioning that often when Diana is awarded or given some type of honor, maybe it's just me, but it seems like it's more often as a part of the Supremes than it is on her own. Of course one would have to extensively research all the Supremes and Diana Ross awards and honors to definitely state one way or the other. Who among you has that kind of time?

Geez Whitney was dead at a young age - that’s a heck of a final bump.
    Had Diana killed herself while drinking and driving, she too would have had a heck of a final bump, ten years older than Whitney was when she passed away.

Had Diana killed herself while drinking and driving, she too would have had a heck of a final bump, ten years older than Whitney was when she passed away.
    It’s whom she might have taken with her the worrying thing. Not good.

What if she had ran over someone or caused a car accident? I guess we should be thankful she was mostly by herself when she was called on...

To be fair, Diana is also in the HOF and has a song in the Library of Congress National Recording Registry...both as a Supreme. So basically, she has the same amount of RARHOF inductions as Flo and Mary, and the same amount of songs in the National Recording Registry as Flo and Mary. This is why the comparisons are just silly at this point. Diana Ross is one of the greatest to ever do it. Her influence is all over the industry. She is not forgotten, and I suspect the day that she is forgotten is probably quite some time after the last person living during her own lifetime has passed on. Her career speaks for itself, as does Aretha's, Barbra's, Cher's, etc.

Having said that, I do think it's worth mentioning that often when Diana is awarded or given some type of honor, maybe it's just me, but it seems like it's more often as a part of the Supremes than it is on her own. Of course one would have to extensively research all the Supremes and Diana Ross awards and honors to definitely state one way or the other. Who among you has that kind of time?
    Most of her honors are mostly Supremes-related, if not all of them. If we're being 100% honest. Like take that away and people would probably wonder "why are you honoring her?" So the Supremes' accomplishments are definitely added to that. It's not like she was Beyonce or MJ when it came to her solo career, as successful as it was. This is one reason she hasn't got a solo nomination for the RRHOF yet. Voters there probably don't think she's worth it, which could sound silly considering some of the artists they do induct. Take that up with them lol

Here are the honors she's gotten over the years btw just in case y'all wanna run it down.

Rock Music Awards: Female Entertainer of the Century [[Billboard)

Hollywood Walk of Fame: solo

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame: as Supremes member

Guinness Book of British Hit Singles: most successful female artist on the UK charts based on her chart appearances - Supremes songs included [[surpassed since by various other artists, including Madonna)

Hollywood Walk of Fame - as Supremes member

MIDEM - Lifetime Achievement Award

Soul Train Music Awards - Heritage Award [[Supremes footage was included in their memoriam tribute, I believe)
    Soul Train Hall of Fame: solo

World Music Awards: Legend Award

Songwriters Hall of Fame: Howie Richmond Hitmaker Award [[presented to her by 1990 recipient WHITNEY HOUSTON )
    Vocal Group Hall of Fame - as member of the Supremes

BET Walk of Fame: inductee
    National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences [[NARAS): Heroes Award
    Grammy Hall of Fame: "Where Did Our Love Go" and "You Keep Me Hangin' On" [[Supremes)

Grammy Hall of Fame: "Stop! In the Name of Love" [[Supremes)

Guinness Book of British Hit Singles and Albums: ranked sixth of the top 100 artists of all time

UK Capital Awards: Legendary Female Artist [[she beat Whitney and Madonna to get this)
    National Association of Black Owned Broadcasters: Lifetime Achievement

Michigan Rock & Roll Legends Hall of Fame - as member of the Supremes

TV Land Awards: most memorable TV performance [[the first 1983 Central Park show)

BET Awards: Lifetime Achievement Award
    Kennedy Center Honors
    Rock & Roll Hall of Fame: 500 Songs that Shaped Rock & Roll [["Stop! In the Name of Love" and "You Can't Hurry Love")

Michigan Rock & Roll Legends Hall of Fame inductee [[solo)

Grammy Awards: Lifetime Achievement Award - solo

Academy of Achievement: Golden Plate Award

National Recording Registry: Where Did Our Love Go [[Supremes)

Presidential Medal of Freedom: honored for breaking barriers during her tenure in the Supremes and beyond

American Music Awards: first [[and so far only) recipient of the Lifetime Achievement Award [[they canceled their Award of Merit, which was probably their version of the LAA)

Grammy Awards: Lifetime Achievement Award - as Supremes member

----
    That's basically it lol
    Last edited by midnightman; 01-05-2024 at 12:38 PM.

This is a surprise about all the Aries; I didn’t think it mattered what sign you are.
    I like it. Cute!

Thanks for the breakdown Midnight. I do think she'll eventually be inducted into the RARHOF as a solo artist. Or maybe I should just say she deserves to be inducted for her solo work.