[REMOVE ADS]

Diana "no-show" for Barry Gibb - Kennedy Honors

Did anyone watch the Kennedy Honors last night? So wonderful to see Dionne Warwick get her "flowers".

Another inductee was Barry Gibb. There was a great montage; you kind of forget how many great songs he's recorded! In one segment, they talked about all of the songs he's written for others; Dionne, Dolly, Barbra, and of course, Diana. Dionne and Barry sat next to each other; Dolly and Barbra sent lovely tributes.....but nothing from Diana. Wah-wah.

those other artists all had major hits with Barry, at least in the US. the EA package did nothing in the US. of course from the stories we've heard there was blame enough for all participants so it isn't "just" Barry's fault. But within the US, there is essentially 0 connection between Barry Gibb and Diana Ross. so i'm not at all surprised. and the producers of the program might have also edited things for time and all. and since no one things of EA or Chained Reaction in the US, why bother

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    those other artists all had major hits with Barry, at least in the US. the EA package did nothing in the US. of course from the stories we've heard there was blame enough for all participants so it isn't "just" Barry's fault. But within the US, there is essentially 0 connection between Barry Gibb and Diana Ross. so i'm not at all surprised. and the producers of the program might have also edited things for time and all. and since no one things of EA or Chained Reaction in the US, why bother
    I think Gloria Estefan mentioned Diana as one of the people Barry worked with before they showed his montage. And they did include a photo of Diana, Barry, and MJ during the EATEN ALIVE sessions. But yeah, given its lack of success in the US, I'm surprised that Diana was even mentioned although it was nice.

Diana is also mentioned because of Barry Gibb in Barbra Streisand memoir "My Name is Barbra"

To be clear, I didn't expect anything from Diana; I'm sure she was too busy babysitting her grandkids to be bothered to submit a 15 second tribute to Barry, but it would have been nice to see a little something, since she was named along with Babs and Dolly, who recognized his induction. As a former inductee, I'd be surprised if she wasn't at least asked.

As far as "Chain Reaction", from wiki:

The single became Ross's second No. 1 hit in the UK Singles Chart. It also hit No. 1 in Australia—where it became the best selling single of 1986.

Granted it was a "flop" in the US [[and honestly, is one of my own personal favorites), those are pretty big numbers abroad, especially in Barry's adopted homeland.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Did anyone watch the Kennedy Honors last night? So wonderful to see Dionne Warwick get her "flowers".

Another inductee was Barry Gibb. There was a great montage; you kind of forget how many great songs he's recorded! In one segment, they talked about all of the songs he's written for others; Dionne, Dolly, Barbra, and of course, Diana. Dionne and Barry sat next to each other; Dolly and Barbra sent lovely tributes.....but nothing from Diana. Wah-wah.
    Its also highly possible that Diana wasnt asked to do a tribute. Did Al Green or Franki Valli or Yvonne Elliman or send in a video tribute?

To be clear, I didn't expect anything from Diana; I'm sure she was too busy babysitting her grandkids to be bothered to submit a 15 second tribute to Barry, but it would have been nice to see a little something, since she was named along with Babs and Dolly, who recognized his induction. As a former inductee, I'd be surprised if she wasn't at least asked.

As far as "Chain Reaction", from wiki:

The single became Ross's second No. 1 hit in the UK Singles Chart. It also hit No. 1 in Australia—where it became the best selling single of 1986.

Granted it was a "flop" in the US [[and honestly, is one of my own personal favorites), those are pretty big numbers abroad, especially in Barry's adopted homeland.
    you know - i've just never been that enamored with CR. i know it was a big hit across the world and tends to be a fan fav. but i've just never gotten into it. frankly i like Battlefield from Force more than CR.

were any of the tunes on EA a remake? i don't think they were. but could be wrong

that might have been an interesting idea. take a tunes or two of Barry's past and have Diana do an updated version of it on the EA package. IMO the songs selected [[ignoring the title track) just aren't Barry Gibb at his peak. i believe Bluebrock mentioned that this was a very last minute project. that DR needed something ASAP so barry didn't have the time to really develop stuff

were any of the tunes on EA a remake? i don't think they were. but could be wrong

that might have been an interesting idea. take a tunes or two of Barry's past and have Diana do an updated version of it on the EA package. IMO the songs selected [[ignoring the title track) just aren't Barry Gibb at his peak. i believe Bluebrock mentioned that this was a very last minute project. that DR needed something ASAP so barry didn't have the time to really develop stuff
    I remembering him mentioning it was a rush job. Seems to be the running theme of her rca years.

I doubt she was asked. She is known ONLY for the Motown years. The rest is thankfully long forgotten.

Eaten Alive was an unmitigated failure. The title track is unlistenable. Much of the rest is not much better. Barry Gibb wants to be honored and remembered for his masterpieces. EA is certainly not one. Shame on Barry for bringing Diana such mediocrity to record, and shame on Diana for recording them. Both were far better than the result of that project, and neither gave it 100%. The LP cover pix, front and back, were equally disappointing.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 12-28-2023 at 05:21 PM.

Is that a surprise really
    I remember reading Barry sent her a batch of new songs and she never responded.
    No thank you what so ever

Never understood this RUSH to get an album out...
    But if you know you have a due date
    Why wait...to last minute ,then rush it out
    Last edited by daviddh; 12-28-2023 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    I don’t recall this ever being documented david. Do you remember where you read it?.
    Whatever the albums shortcomings, “Chain Reaction” went along way in reviving Diana's career, particularly across Europe.
    She appears to have a good relationship with Barry, appearing via satellite link when the Bee Gees were featured on a tribute tv programme called This Is Your Life.
    I think Gibb’s collaborations with Streisand work better then with any other female singer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I don’t recall this ever being documented david. Do you remember where you read it?.
    Whatever the albums shortcomings, “Chain Reaction” went along way in reviving Diana's career, particularly across Europe.
    She appears to have a good relationship with Barry, appearing via satellite link when the Bee Gees were featured on a tribute tv programme called This Is Your Life.
    I think Gibb’s collaborations with Streisand work better then with any other female singer.
    Yes this is a clip of the tribute to The Bee Gees.
    https://youtu.be/gX6FDpDWLnU?si=NhPKkvSlYbSXAJEm

This just sounds like the rather regular chatter and prattle because it’s Diana Ross.

As Janie Bradford said because she’s Diana Ross and was successful and has money, she’s a target for everyone and everything

I’m guessing with the aging of some of the commentators and the distance away of the current young crowd, there’s less and less interest in the gossip - and Mary isn’t around to attract attention with it

IMO the songs selected [[ignoring the title track) just aren't Barry Gibb at his peak. i believe Bluebrock mentioned that this was a very last minute project. that DR needed something ASAP so barry didn't have the time to really develop stuff
    Which is why I'm of the opinion that this is the one time Diana deserved a flop album. Barry Gibb? Seriously? It's so frustrating as a fan to feel that most of those RCA albums were phoned in/go through the motions/just put any ole thing out albums. Swept Away has it's misses, but ultimately I feel it's a strong album. Diana had once again lucked up on success and rather than make it a point to follow it up with something equally as strong or stronger by going after any number of producers who were currently on the top of their game, she gets Barry Gibb? Yeah, she deserved that L. Just think of the fire album we could have gotten if she had taken this seriously.

That wouldn't surprise me.

In more recent years, I seem to remember Barry Gibb going on record and saying that Diana was his least favourite person to work with. He said he had sent her the demos and expected her to learn the songs in advance. She showed up without having learned any of the songs and he was not happy about it. Not sure if that was her usual working process, or if her emotional state at the time, due to her mother's passing, was to blame? Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if Diana got wind of his comments in these recent interviews, which I can't imagine gave her warm and fuzzy feelings about Barry.

I remember Barry stating all of this in a printed interview, and also said it once on camera. If my memory serves me right, he had said it during his interview for the Bee Gees E True Hollywood Story or A&E Biography.
    Last edited by carlo; 12-29-2023 at 04:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Which is why I'm of the opinion that this is the one time Diana deserved a flop album. Barry Gibb? Seriously? It's so frustrating as a fan to feel that most of those RCA albums were phoned in/go through the motions/just put any ole thing out albums. Swept Away has it's misses, but ultimately I feel it's a strong album. Diana had once again lucked up on success and rather than make it a point to follow it up with something equally as strong or stronger by going after any number of producers who were currently on the top of their game, she gets Barry Gibb? Yeah, she deserved that L. Just think of the fire album we could have gotten if she had taken this seriously.
    I don’t consider it that perverse a choice considering Gibb had gifted Streisand, Kenny Roger’s and Dionne with the best selling albums of their career. Admittedly this was two years later, but who was to say he couldn’t do the same for Diana.
    Remove “Eaten Alive” and you have a fairly pleasant album containing one immensely commercial song that helped revive her career. She had certainly recorded a lot worse at that point in time.

This section should be renamed "the unreconstructed Motown fan forum".

Eaten Alive was a great album and still is. It has aged very well

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    In more recent years, I seem to remember Barry Gibb going on record and saying that Diana was his least favourite person to work with. He said he had sent her the demos and expected her to learn the songs in advance. She showed up without having learned any of the songs and he was not happy about it. Not sure if that was her usual working process, or if her emotional state at the time, due to her mother's passing, was to blame? Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if Diana got wind of his comments in these recent interviews, which I can't imagine gave her warm and fuzzy feelings about Barry.

I remember Barry stating all of this in a printed interview, and also said it once on camera. If my memory serves me right, he had said it during his interview for the Bee Gees E True Hollywood Story or A&E Biography.
    Interesting post. From everything i have ever read Barry has always been ultra-professional in the recording studio and expects the same. I can see why Diana’s less focussed and casual attitude might have rankled. Especially having worked with the likes of Streisand who is involved in every detail.
    It really was such a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post

she had a couple or three really good vocals on that album, imagine how much better they would’ve been, as well as, of course, the rest of the album, and she had actually put some work into the project. I can imagine how disappointed Barry was when she came in completely unprepared. They might’ve known that at least two cuts that I recall are in the wrong key, and maybe they could’ve done something about that or reworked them a little bit. I think don’t give up on each other at the potential to be a great hit. If it was in a lower key really worked on.

it’s true she was provably exhausted. Losing her mother and going through that horrendous, yet record-breaking run at radio city. But there are telephones, and perhaps she could have called and said that she wasn’t up to it, perhaps, or needed more time to prepare and see if there was any wiggle room timewise. She’s following up the one really commercial album she did it RCA, with an album that, at the very least, needed work. She might have thought because it was Barry Gibb that everything would be done for her, I don’t know I can’t imagine going into the studio with the guy who certainly knows how to make a hit record, totally unprepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Its also highly possible that Diana wasnt asked to do a tribute. Did Al Green or Franki Valli or Yvonne Elliman or send in a video tribute?
    I just finished watching an interview with another honoree, Renee Fleming, who stated that each honoree is actively involved in the selection of those associates he/she has worked with or had close association with, and who might be asked to participate in the program. This also prevents some associates whom the artists doesn't really care for from popping up on the stage or on the screen. That seemed to have worked with Diana was honored.

Not exactly a resounding endorsement. But better than nothing.

Diana looks nice, is she in her home I wonder ...and is there something behind her that's beginning to read Motown?

added:
    the next part of this had to be The Bee Gees responding....I wonder what was said??

nope. but they don't respond to any of them.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 12-30-2023 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post

Not exactly a resounding endorsement. But better than nothing.

Diana looks nice, is she in her home I wonder ...and is there something behind her that's beginning to read Motown?

added:
    the next part of this had to be The Bee Gees responding....I wonder what was said??
    They didn’t say anything, but Maurice looked unimpressed.

One thing I should add, as to lighten the "I'm trying to bash Diana Ross theory", is when Barbra was talking about working with Barry, she basically said all he wanted her to do was sing her song the same way 10 times, and he would take care of everything else; the arrangement, the backup, the mixing, the orchestration, EVERYTHING. I'd like to believe that Diana likes to be more involved, and likes to be a part of the process. It's almost insulting to just "sing" and then have zero input on the finished product. Diana is much more talented and creative than that.

Almost like, just show up, put on a pretty dress, and sing oohs and aahs, lol.

One thing I should add, as to lighten the "I'm trying to bash Diana Ross theory", is when Barbra was talking about working with Barry, she basically said all he wanted her to do was sing her song the same way 10 times, and he would take care of everything else; the arrangement, the backup, the mixing, the orchestration, EVERYTHING. I'd like to believe that Diana likes to be more involved, and likes to be a part of the process. It's almost insulting to just "sing" and then have zero input on the finished product. Diana is much more talented and creative than that.

Almost like, just show up, put on a pretty dress, and sing oohs and aahs, lol.
    “All she had to do was show up”. Sounds strangely familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post

Eaten Alive was a great album and still is. It has aged very well
    I totally agree! I love it. It’s in my top 5 favorite Diana Ross albums.

I prefer EA to "Baby It's me" or a lot of her most stylised vocals from the seventies

It certainly makes my top 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I don’t consider it that perverse a choice considering Gibb had gifted Streisand, Kenny Roger’s and Dionne with the best selling albums of their career. Admittedly this was two years later, but who was to say he couldn’t do the same for Diana.
    Remove “Eaten Alive” and you have a fairly pleasant album containing one immensely commercial song that helped revive her career. She had certainly recorded a lot worse at that point in time.
    She didn't need a pleasant album. She needed a Thriller. Of course I'm under no illusions that anyone could have gifted Diana a Thriller sized album [[nobody but Mike could do what Thriller did), but to me nothing on EA screams hit except "Chain Reaction". "Eaten Alive" did better here than "Chain" did, and it was a hit on the R&B charts, but I'm pretty sure it was off the strength of Michael rather than Diana herself.

I don't wish to really compare them, but I have to say what I always dug about Aretha [[well one of the million things I dug about the Queen) is that she kept her ear to the street. She was always up on the latest sounds and she had the ability to translate her talent and skill to fit those sounds. Diana didn't seem to do much of that. She should have been trying to get with Narada, or Nile again, Quincy, Lionel. I just can't imagine Barry Gibb was number one on the call sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    Why? Because our opinions might differ from yours?

Why? Because our opinions might differ from yours?
    No, but simply because that's what it looks like.

She didn't need a pleasant album. She needed a Thriller. Of course I'm under no illusions that anyone could have gifted Diana a Thriller sized album [[nobody but Mike could do what Thriller did), but to me nothing on EA screams hit except "Chain Reaction". "Eaten Alive" did better here than "Chain" did, and it was a hit on the R&B charts, but I'm pretty sure it was off the strength of Michael rather than Diana herself.

I don't wish to really compare them, but I have to say what I always dug about Aretha [[well one of the million things I dug about the Queen) is that she kept her ear to the street. She was always up on the latest sounds and she had the ability to translate her talent and skill to fit those sounds. Diana didn't seem to do much of that. She should have been trying to get with Narada, or Nile again, Quincy, Lionel. I just can't imagine Barry Gibb was number one on the call sheet.
    Naturally she needed a dynamic album that with the exception of “Chain Reaction” EA is arguably not. On the other hand, i do consider it is a fairly entertaining, adult contemporary album that has its moments.
    The thing is, had EA, been a huge international success we would all be giving Diana kudos for having sort Gibb out. Compared to her first three rca efforts i consider it a step up.
    There was never any guarantee that working with the likes of Quincy or Nile would have secured her a hit album. Look at “WO”.
    Similar to EA, the album Quincy produced on Donna Summer also contained it’s highs and lows.
    The ”Eaten Alive” single and album sold very well across Europe, with “Chain Reaction” Diana’s biggest UK hit ever and an Australian #1.
    As it stands, i consider the album a good effort, that with a little more care and attention might have been considered one of her best.
    Red Hot Rhythm & Blues on the other hand is the album that imo sounded old hat at a time when Diana desperately needed a sprinkling of that street cred.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 12-31-2023 at 11:49 AM.

Chain Reaction is one of Diana ten biggest solo sellers .
    I just think the title cut was Merky.
    I would have went with Islands in the Stream
    Not sure why she turned it down

i think we forget that this is how Diana was trained.
    on the road touring , come off the road , record some songs , go back and tour
    i dont think she was envolved much in production because she was used to HDH , Ashford and Simpson , Richard Perry or M Masser doing it all.
    she probably thought this was no different and wanted the album done and out in Sept, which i think was the case. a rush job.
    it seemed that was the case also with WDFFIL,
    suddenlyt Quincy wasnt available and she went and recorded a bunch of songs and released the album in sept/oct 81.

just FYI.
    eaten alive total sales, 1,185,000
    chain reaction 1,572,500
    eaten alive single 370,000
    not terrible numbers