[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Right On

Right On

I think one of the groups best albums,possibly top five
    I know of a few out takes
    Life beats
    Between Sunday and Monday
    Is there a place in his heart[[ released on New Ways.

I've heard of another track listing but never seen it...if any album deserves an expanded edition ,...this album would be my vote.
    Only song I am not crazy about is I Got Hurt....
    But the rest is a lovely debute
    Any thoughts

The original track list for Right On.

Side One
    1.) Up The Ladder To The Roof
    2.) Then We Can Try Again
    3.) Steppin' On A Dream
    4.) Wait A Minute Before You Leave Me
    5.) You Move Me
    6.) The Day Between Sunday And Monday

Side Two
    1.) I Got Hurt [[Trying To Be The Only Girl In Your Life)
    2.) Baby Baby
    3.) Take A Closer Look At Me
    4.) Then I Met You
    5.) Life Beats
    6.) The Loving Country

"Everybody's Got The Right To Love" was a last minute addition; completed just a week or so before the album was released.

thank you Brad..dont think ive heard Steppin on a Dream but will look for it.
    just heard this ,i think for the first time. nice track
    i would have saved it .maybe if not for Right On but Touch in place of Time and Love
    surprized they never went back to these tracks.
    got some gems in those vaults
    Last edited by daviddh; 12-24-2023 at 11:42 AM.

Right On was a pretty typical motown album - in that they had a hit single and wanted to pad out the remaining tracks with studio material. Because that hit single was produced by Frank, it appears that he got to lead up the songs and so he put 5 of his tunes on there. And because Jean was new, they wanted to experiment with her and try various producers. which is why Clay McMurray did some, Al Kent, Henry Cosby.

Na na hey hey was if not fully done, close to it by the time the album was released

they'd also done quite a bit of recording on Stoned Love, although it wasn't complete yet.

the track for Johnny Raven was recorded on 4/16, about 10 days prior to RO's release.

those tracks with Mary on lead - If You Let Me, send him to me - were probably done in time for possible inclusion too.

Different strokes but I always considered I Got Hurt to be one of the better tracks on that album. As for its overall quality, I consider it be the best album from the post-Diana years. Although the 1975 Supremes album and High Energy were not far behind.

Also completed in time to be included on "Right On," but either used later or not at all are:

I Wish I Were Your Mirror [[worked on and completed in January 1970)
    Is There A Place [[In His Heart For Me) [[Supremes dubbed in January 1970)
    Steppin' On A Dream [[worked on and completed in January 1970)
    That's How Much [[You Made Me Love You) [[worked on and completed in January 1970)
    You've Got To Pay The Price [[completed January 1970)

There may be a few more tracks [[I have) that might have been from the first few months of 1970 [[and thus able to have possibly been included on Right On), but because they're not official releases, we don't have verified recording dates. They may either be from later in 1970--or even 1971 or 72. I wish a "Supremes 1970-1973 Lost & Found" could finally be released.

Two of my favorite unreleased songs from above are "That's How Much [[You Made Me Love You)" because it's bouncy and girly and, well, kind of a throwback in theme to the mid-60s Supremes. Plus, I hear Mary and Cindy all over it! My other favorite is "Steppin' On A Dream." Yeah, it's probably not Mary and Cindy in the background [[or, at least, they may have had LOTS of help back there), but it's a nice song and would've made a good album cut. I remember at least 30+ years ago coming across a 45 of David and Jimmy Ruffin's released version of the song and buying it SPECIFICALLY to be able to imagine what The Supremes' version would've sounded like. Thankfully, I wasn't disappointed when I finally heard The Sups' version and was able to add it to my collection.

Oh--and though this has come up before, there was also "I Can't Wait Till Summer Comes." The track was recorded in January 1970 and assigned to The Supremes. Strings added in March 1970 and Mary and Cindy [and Jean?] added background vocals on April 2, 1970...and then the track was reassigned to Martha and The Vandellas and Martha dubbed in a vocal on April 3, 1970. Ultimately, Martha's version was left unreleased until THEIR 50th Anniversary CD set.

There's also "I Almost Had Him [But He Got Away]" that was recorded for The Supremes in January 1970. Not sure if they dubbed in any vocals, but The Four Tops added their vocals in the Summer and finished it in July 1970. Their version was included on their "Changing Times" album that was released in August 1970.

There are the unreleased [and fascinatingly titled] "Three Day Journey Of Me," "Wasting Time," and possibly bombastic "Didn't I Blow Your Mind This Time" that all had tracks recorded [and their vocals?] in January 1970.

There's also "I'll Never Let You Get Away" that had a track recorded in January 1970 [and the vocals?] in January 1970...but it was unreleased. Jimmy Ruffin dubbed his vocals in October 1970, but his version didn't see release until several years later and only in the UK. I have it on a UK "Soul Satisfaction" CD released many years ago. Totally sounds like a Supremes song from that period!

For possible "Right On" contenders, we could also reach back into 1969 for what were almost assuredly Jean-only tracks:

"I Want To Go Back There Again" [unreleased]
    "My Heart's On A Trip" [unreleased]
    "Mr. Loneliness" [track used by Kiki Dee and unreleased until a few years ago--total Supremes-sounding song!]
    "Standing Ovation" [assigned to The Supremes/Jean and had a vocal dub-in by Martha Reeves]
    "Baby Don't You Go"
    "While They Watch"
    "Honey Take Me"
    "I'm Getting Married"
    "Another Lonely Night"
    "I'm Going Crazy" "

I sourced those 1969 tracks from the back of "Dreamgirl"--and they are tracks recorded from June 1969 onward. Sure, it's possible some of those tracks might have been DRATS recordings, but... my opinion is that by mid-1969, there was less [if any] recording being done specifically for DRATS and more stuff being done by Diana on her own and by Jean on her own. It wouldn't surprise me if--even if they weren't completed--those songs from June 1969 onward were intended/recorded by Jean. Darn it! Where's our Sups L&F 1969-1973 when we need it?!

anyone know when the girls did Mind Body and Soul? it was a hit by the group Flaming Ember in 69. and ironically it was on Invictus/Hot Wax which was the label HDH started up after leaving motown. it's a good recording by the girls but if it had ever been included on an album, it would have required motown to pay royalties to hdh which i'm sure berry would NEVER have allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    Oh--and though this has come up before, there was also "I Can't Wait Till Summer Comes." The track was recorded in January 1970 and assigned to The Supremes. Strings added in March 1970 and Mary and Cindy [and Jean?] added background vocals on April 2, 1970...and then the track was reassigned to Martha and The Vandellas and Martha dubbed in a vocal on April 3, 1970. Ultimately, Martha's version was left unreleased until THEIR 50th Anniversary CD set.

There's also "I Almost Had Him [But He Got Away]" that was recorded for The Supremes in January 1970. Not sure if they dubbed in any vocals, but The Four Tops added their vocals in the Summer and finished it in July 1970. Their version was included on their "Changing Times" album that was released in August 1970.

There are the unreleased [and fascinatingly titled] "Three Day Journey Of Me," "Wasting Time," and possibly bombastic "Didn't I Blow Your Mind This Time" that all had tracks recorded [and their vocals?] in January 1970.

There's also "I'll Never Let You Get Away" that had a track recorded in January 1970 [and the vocals?] in January 1970...but it was unreleased. Jimmy Ruffin dubbed his vocals in October 1970, but his version didn't see release until several years later and only in the UK. I have it on a UK "Soul Satisfaction" CD released many years ago. Totally sounds like a Supremes song from that period!

For possible "Right On" contenders, we could also reach back into 1969 for what were almost assuredly Jean-only tracks:

"Mr. Loneliness" [track used by Kiki Dee and unreleased until a few years ago--total Supremes-sounding song!]
    "Standing Ovation" [assigned to The Supremes/Jean and had a vocal dub-in by Martha Reeves]
    "Baby Don't You Go"
    "While They Watch"
    "Honey Take Me"
    "I'm Getting Married"
    "Another Lonely Night"
    "I'm Going Crazy" "

I sourced those 1969 tracks from the back of "Dreamgirl"--and they are tracks recorded from June 1969 onward. Sure, it's possible some of those tracks might have been DRATS recordings, but... my opinion is that by mid-1969, there was less [if any] recording being done specifically for DRATS and more stuff being done by Diana on her own and by Jean on her own. It wouldn't surprise me if--even if they weren't completed--those songs from June 1969 onward were intended/recorded by Jean. Darn it! Where's our Sups L&F 1969-1973 when we need it?!
    there's plenty of unreleased 70s things! even with all of the box sets, anthologies, etc. I believe Andy said there are still plenty of mixes of Walking, including the version that was used when they performed on Soul Train and Bandstand. Plus as we saw with the MW Anthology, there are still alt vocals, different mixes, etc of various album tracks.

so more than enough for a 70s L&F!

i always sort of figured the odds of them actually doing Expanded Editions for each of the 70s albums was low. my assumption was they'd do those for all of the Diana-era albums but then perhaps a L&F that would cover the 70s.

it is a shame with the 50th Anniversary singles set that they stopped with Someday. not only to get the single-version of the tracks but to get the liner notes too!

Anyone know when they recorded All I Need.
    I love the Temptations version...I think they did it.. or was it the Four Tops
    Omg senior moment.
    The supremes did a nice job on it...think it would have fit on New Ways

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Anyone know when they recorded All I Need.
    I love the Temptations version...I think they did it.. or was it the Four Tops
    Omg senior moment.
    The supremes did a nice job on it...think it would have fit on New Ways
    "All I Need" was recorded in 1971. It was among the tracks that would have been sourced for the Promises Kept album.

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post

"Baby Don't You Go"
    "While They Watch"
    "Honey Take Me"
    "I'm Getting Married"
    "Another Lonely Night"
    "I'm Going Crazy" "

I'm not sure "I Can't Wait Till Summer Comes" would have made it onto Right On, but then again I'm not sure when Jean added her vocals. I know they recorded their vocals on it. I think it was done around the time of "Stoned Love" even though Johnny Bristol produced it. Speaking of Johnny Bristol, he originally produced "These Things Will Keep Me Loving You" for the Supremes so I wonder if Jean added a lead on it before it was reassigned to Diana.

Unfortunately, no vocals were added to "I'll Never Let You Get Away." I wish they were because I LOVE that track and would have preferred it got vocals over "Then I Met You" which was also another Jimmy Roach penned/produced track.

A few people have said they have heard their version of "Didn't I Blow Your Mind This Time" a long time ago. In the Syreeta booklet from several years ago, there is an indication that Jean added a lead on "I Want To Go Back There Again" - same track as Syreeta's. It likely was done in the same session as "Mind, Body And Soul" which was also a Hal Davis production. My guess these were done in late 1969 when they were testing out Jean. Other tracks during this time included "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'," "How Long Has That Evening Train Been Gone," and "Loneliness Is A Lonely Feeling" - which Jean said was her first session.

There are also likely alternate vocals and versions. I recall during one of John Perrone's shows there was discussion about there being an acetate of an alternate version of "Wait One Minute Before You Leave Me" with different lyrics.

I've always wondered about those bootlegs from the 80s and how those tracks were selected to be copied. The focus seemed to be on the late 1969-early 1970 tracks. Clearly it wasn't everything in the vaults and who knows what else is in the vaults from 1970 to 1973. I would not be surprised if there are more tracks none of us know about.
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 12-24-2023 at 06:21 PM.

But I love you more , was a lovely track.
    Glad it found it's way on the album.
    I think there was a cover of a Vabdellas song they did...can't remember it now

Wasn't the Loneliness is a Lonely Feeling the Martha Reeves song I'm thinking of

Although I like Everybody's Got the Right as an album track
    I would have never issued this as a single
    To many other choices

Right On is my favourite Supremes album, hands-down.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    "Everybody's Got The Right To Love" was a last minute addition; completed just a week or so before the album was released.
    I am curious about this, as DFTMC lists April 22nd as the completion date for Everybody's Got The Right To Love, which seems doubtful, since the album was released April 26th...unless that was the formal street date on paper, and the distribution of the album was delayed? The timeline seems too tight to have been able to press a master disc, press thousands of vinyl records and sleeves, and then have it shipped out to retailers, all in 4 days? I'm sure Motown had significant clout with their manufacturer[s] in 1970, and could have easily put a rush on having the album pressed, but not sure about that turnaround happening in 4 days.

Either way, it does seem that this album was completed down to the wire and that Motown would have rushed the release. It's an interesting thought, when one considers that Diana Ross & the Supremes had their final performance only 4 months prior to release of Right On. I suppose Motown, like everyone else, was skeptical of how the new line-up would be received, and wanted to strike while the irons were still hot. The album also came with the bonus fold-out poster, which I suspect was done as an incentive to try and secure further sales, as Motown did not apply this same treatment to any of Diana's albums that were released at that time.

Merry Christmas everyone

thank you Brad..dont think ive heard Steppin on a Dream but will look for it.
    just heard this ,i think for the first time. nice track
    i would have saved it .maybe if not for Right On but Touch in place of Time and Love
    surprized they never went back to these tracks.
    got some gems in those vaults
    That song wound up on the David & Jimmy Ruffin duet lp I Am My Brother's Keeper

Right On is darn near a perfect album even though it has numerous producers. Like the Miracles Renaissance lp, when Gordy sets his producers to task to come up with a hit record on an act we got this kind of album.

My only complaint is that half the lp is a Jean solo with other backing voices.

For reference, here's Jimmy and David Ruffin singing "Steppin' On A Dream." The Sups didn't use the same backing track [or, I should say, The Ruffins didn't use the Sups' track], but the arrangement is basically the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HDc5ggKau4
    Last edited by danman869; 12-25-2023 at 02:12 PM. Reason: clarification

And here's a link to Jimmy Ruffin's "I'll Never Let You Get Away":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh8MS43WbVg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z_gv9KKdRs

Here is the Supremes version

Wasn't the Loneliness is a Lonely Feeling the Martha Reeves song I'm thinking of
    Yes, it was recorded in '68 but released on the Sugar 'N Spice album. One of my favorite Martha tracks from that period.

Does anyone know who's doing the background on Is There A Place In His Heart For Me? It sounds like Syreeta, but I can't tell if it's Mary and Cindy, The Andantes, or some other singers in the background.

It’s not the Andantes. It sounds like Brenda and Billie from the undisputed truth. But it also sounds like Mary. Not fully sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Thornton View Post
    Does anyone know who's doing the background on Is There A Place In His Heart For Me? It sounds like Syreeta, but I can't tell if it's Mary and Cindy, The Andantes, or some other singers in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    It’s not the Andantes. It sounds like Brenda and Billie from the undisputed truth. But it also sounds like Mary. Not fully sure.
    Thanks! Listening to it again, I agree it could be Brenda and Billie. I can hear Mary as well.

Certainly sounds like Syreeta in the mix on "Is There A Place." I can't really distinguish who is singing on this.

I've never been fond of this song and usually skip it. This song and "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye" are two songs that don't fit with New Ways. I would have preferred one of the outtakes from Right On in their place like "Life Beats" or "That's How Much You Made Me Love You." Then again "The Loving Country" should have been held over for New Ways because it fits perfectly into the album's message, theme, and sound.

Certainly sounds like Syreeta in the mix on "Is There A Place." I can't really distinguish who is singing on this.

I've never been fond of this song and usually skip it. This song and "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye" are two songs that don't fit with New Ways. I would have preferred one of the outtakes from Right On in their place like "Life Beats" or "That's How Much You Made Me Love You." Then again "The Loving Country" should have been held over for New Ways because it fits perfectly into the album's message, theme, and sound.
    Brenda I believe is on here and can answer if it was her on the backgrounds.

I seen her video explaining that before the undisputed truth was formed she and Billie did background work for frank and that Mary would come in and go over their vocals
    Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Brenda I believe is on here and can answer if it was her on the backgrounds.

Four covers on New Ways was WAY too many. With a then still fairly new lead singer, there should have been more original compositions to let Jean shine.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Right On is darn near a perfect album even though it has numerous producers. Like the Miracles Renaissance lp, when Gordy sets his producers to task to come up with a hit record on an act we got this kind of album.

My only complaint is that half the lp is a Jean solo with other backing voices.
    I think Motown made a mistake removing "Steppin' On A Dream" and "The Day Between Sunday And Monday" from the track list. Both were single worthy tracks. Had they kept those and removed "Baby Baby" and "Then I Met You," it would have been perfect.

Diana’s first solo album had 5 covers, Everything is everything had 5 covers. Surrender had 4. is that too much?
    Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Four covers on New Ways was WAY too many. With a then still fairly new lead singer, there should have been more original compositions to let Jean shine.

I don't know if Loving Country fits as well on NW. yes it has a theme of peace and god but it doesn't have as big of a rock sound as you found on much of the NW material. Baby Baby would have worked better on NW than on RO

I think Come Together and Na Na should have been removed. Life Beats is great but is also missing that rock/operatic sound that frank got with the NW tracks. Life Beats might have fit on Touch instead of Time and Love. and actually Time and Love would have fit better on NW

That's Mary and Cindy, they always made a beautiful soft harmony. But many producers want a fuller sound especially for uptempo material.

Remove Then I Met You Brad? I can't imagine that album without that song. Jean gives a gorgeous, understated vocal and Mary and Cindy are blending beautifully. I'm not sure that Jean isn't in the background with them on that one. Gorgeous song. I agree with Baby, Baby, it's just a bland song to me

Diana’s first solo album had 5 covers, Everything is everything had 5 covers. Surrender had 4. is that too much?
    Yes, but we're talking about New Ways, not Diana.

And, the public was already familiar with Diana's voice. RIGHT ON [[and later, NEW WAYS) was Jean's introduction. There should have been more original material, and not 40% cover tunes.

The high parts didn’t sound like Cindy or jean to me that is. I kept thinking I do hear Mary
    That's Mary and Cindy, they always made a beautiful soft harmony. But many producers want a fuller sound especially for uptempo material.

NW is no different than any other Motown album that came out in 1970. A hit or 2 with some covers and some original album cuts. The reason I mentioned Diana is to compare their albums. Even the J5 first 3 albums were mostly covers.
    Yes, but we're talking about New Ways, not Diana.

And, the public was already familiar with Diana's voice. RIGHT ON [[and later, NEW WAYS) was Jean's introduction. There should have been more original material, and not 40% cover tunes.

Remove Then I Met You Brad? I can't imagine that album without that song. Jean gives a gorgeous, understated vocal and Mary and Cindy are blending beautifully. I'm not sure that Jean isn't in the background with them on that one. Gorgeous song. I agree with Baby, Baby, it's just a bland song to me
    "Then I Met You" never grabbed me. Every other track on the album really grabs you, showing their single potential. It took a while for "But I Love You More" to grow on me but now I love it. This one just falls flat for me and it hasn't grown on me. When I first heard "The Day Between Sunday And Monday" on the 2000 pink box set, I was instantly taken to it. The same with "Life Beats." Both were deserving to stay on the album.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    I don't know if Loving Country fits as well on NW. yes it has a theme of peace and god but it doesn't have as big of a rock sound as you found on much of the NW material. Baby Baby would have worked better on NW than on RO

I think Come Together and Na Na should have been removed. Life Beats is great but is also missing that rock/operatic sound that frank got with the NW tracks. Life Beats might have fit on Touch instead of Time and Love. and actually Time and Love would have fit better on NW
    New Ways is also very orchestral and "The Loving Country" fits right into it. I think if it got a different mix with the fuzz guitar brought up in the mix, it would work perfectly on the album.

New Ways is also very orchestral and "The Loving Country" fits right into it. I think if it got a different mix with the fuzz guitar brought up in the mix, it would work perfectly on the album.
    i think in the Pink Box or one of the booklets, frank talked about the idea of fusing rock and r&b and what a powerful combo that would be. but there's such a majestic, dramatic, symphonic feeling to much of NW that i think it's really a combo of rock, r&b and opera. Loving Country has the gorgeous strings and orchestration, the ethereal sound but it doesn't really have the rock. maybe as you suggest if the guitar was mixed higher.

i like Baby Baby and think it would easily have fit on NW as an album track. maybe instead of Na Na.

Ladder and Loving perfectly bookend the RO lp with the new sound. there are elements of it in the other tunes too although it's not really cared through as evenly as one NW. still RO is a great intro to the 'new supremes' and their new sound and style which could have been perfected on a slightly revised NW

The original track list for Right On.

Side One
    1.) Up The Ladder To The Roof
    2.) Then We Can Try Again
    3.) Steppin' On A Dream
    4.) Wait A Minute Before You Leave Me
    5.) You Move Me
    6.) The Day Between Sunday And Monday

Side Two
    1.) I Got Hurt [[Trying To Be The Only Girl In Your Life)
    2.) Baby Baby
    3.) Take A Closer Look At Me
    4.) Then I Met You
    5.) Life Beats
    6.) The Loving Country

there's another track listing George shared on here a while back. problem is i made a playlist of it but also several more of my own! lol and now i can remember which was his

Ladder
    Then we can try it again
    the day will come between sunday
    wait a minute
    you move me
    but i love you more

i got hurt
    steppin on a dream
    take a closer look
    then i met you
    life beats
    loving country

i think this is the one. the others have some of the MW anthology tracks woven in, which i think would have worked great. give her 1 lead plus some of the echo lead lines like in Ladder

i like Baby Baby and Then I Met You
    i would have pulled I Got Hurt.
    now i have to go and have a listen.
    to me there was enough material to do another set and push New Ways over to 1971

IMO there are a few 'sound alike' tunes on RO. they're solid songs but I Got Hurt, Then We Can Try It Again, you move me and Just Take A Closer Look are almost interchangeable. Wait A Min is very similar but maybe just enough different to sort of stand out. interestingly, they're by 3 different producers. Clay McMurray did Then We Can and I Got Hurt, while Henry Cosby did Take a Closer and Al Kent did Wait and You Move Me.

seems like the goal of the album was to pull together 12 tunes that really show the range of Jean and provide a variety of examples of sounds.

the 5 i mention above are sort of big, brassy, exuberant r&b/pop tunes

Ladder, But i love you more and Loving Country are lush and ethereal Frank productions, plus his rock tune of Baby Baby and his slower shuffle on Everybody's Got the Right

then you have another lush ballad with Then I Met You [[by Jimmy Roach) and Bill [[Johnny Bristol).

Life Beats is a great tune and quite different and would have done an excellent job of adding some variety to the sound of the lp. plus M and C are quite prominent on the tune and so would help establish more of the 'group' sound.

I also think one Mary lead like If You Let Me would have been a solid addition to the album

so here's an alt song lineup, trying to mix things up a little more with the variety of material and sounds

Up The Ladder
    Then we can try it again
    If you let me baby
    everybody's got the right
    mind body and soul
    but i love you more

Baby baby
    steppin on a dream
    The day will come between sunday and monday
    Then i met you
    Bill when are you coming home
    Loving Country

Can someone clear something up: in the intro to "Loving Country", there is am instrumental start, then an "operatic" voice before Jean starts. Is that Cindy? And what is she singing? I've convinced myself it's Mary singing "Pretty baby", but I'm guessing it's Cindy singing "Come with me"?

Can someone clear something up: in the intro to "Loving Country", there is am instrumental start, then an "operatic" voice before Jean starts. Is that Cindy? And what is she singing? I've convinced myself it's Mary singing "Pretty baby", but I'm guessing it's Cindy singing "Come with me"?
    It's "come go with me," and I've always believed that it may have been Cindy.

I liked Bill....
    But it wore on me ...I suppose it made sense early 70s with the war ...but
    It didn't hold up for me but I think I read it was a hit in UK

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    It's "come go with me," and I've always believed that it may have been Cindy.
    agree - i think it's Cindy

I liked Bill....
    But it wore on me ...I suppose it made sense early 70s with the war ...but
    It didn't hold up for me but I think I read it was a hit in UK
    i've heard that quite a few djs would flip Ladder over and play the B side. especially since for 3 months or so, these two songs were the only New Supremes things out there. other than the Ed Sullivan performance. there was quite a bit of hype about the new group, the whole lineup/farewell thing, the amazing debut on Sullivan. so i bet Bill got a lot more play than other B sides

plus it's a great tune

the 45 version is my fav. it's a different lead from Jean and it's a bit more soulful. she does a few more slides and embellishments than on the lp version

the Pink Box set has the 45 version of the tune

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i've heard that quite a few djs would flip Ladder over and play the B side. especially since for 3 months or so, these two songs were the only New Supremes things out there. other than the Ed Sullivan performance. there was quite a bit of hype about the new group, the whole lineup/farewell thing, the amazing debut on Sullivan. so i bet Bill got a lot more play than other B sides

plus it's a great tune

the 45 version is my fav. it's a different lead from Jean and it's a bit more soulful. she does a few more slides and embellishments than on the lp version

the Pink Box set has the 45 version of the tune
    I love the 45 version. I think it would have worked as a follow-up single and given Frank Wilson more time to work on "Everybody's Got The Right To Love," which was probably a better fit for New Ways.