[REMOVE ADS]

Jackson Five - I Want You Back - Unreleased Masters

Does anyone have this specific CD in their collection? First I have seen or heard anything about it. The listing specifically claims it was released in 2009 on the Motown label. If anyone has it, is it worth obtaining?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/354601664707

Thanks for any help on this.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    Does anyone have this specific CD in their collection? First I have seen or heard anything about it. The listing specifically claims it was released in 2009 on the Motown label. If anyone has it, is it worth obtaining?

There is a rather complete listing of this on Discogs. Clicking on More Images in the top left brings up the booklet with the CD so you can get an idea of what is on this.

https://www.discogs.com/release/4278...leased-Masters

Thank you. That's very interesting. I am surprised that when it was released that it did not get any attention even on the Motown Forum to the best of my knowledge.

I'd still like to know if anyone has it and what they think of it. Is it a good investment?

I`m not a big J5 fan but I`m pleased that I have it. A couple of interesting alternates and unreleased material. Did you manage to catch up with "Natural Resources" ?

Thanks for your critique, however, I do not understand what "Natural Resources" has to do with the J5. I must have missed this. I just located the NR vinyl album. No, I have not heard see or even knew about it being released. That's the problem, too many albums/CDs, etc. are constantly released and the average collector is in the dark about a lot of these releases.
    Last edited by woodward; 12-22-2023 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Modify

Thanks for your critique, however, I do not understand what "Natural Resources" has to do with the J5. I must have missed this. I just located the NR vinyl album. No, I have not heard see or even knew about it being released. That's the problem, too many albums/CDs, etc. are constantly released and the average collector is in the dark about a lot of these releases.
    Roger is referring to your previous query about the release of MR&TV "Natural Resources" album on CD.

Sadly there aren't a lot of releases on CD at all now though vinyl albums do trickle through. This site is usually a good barometer of what's coming up for release but regularly searching on Amazon for Motown in CDs and vinyl often works. Similar searches on your favourite supplier sites can also work. Sadly the record shops that used to be plentiful in the UK have all but vanished, even HMV stores are few. Keep watch on this Motown Forum for reports of releases..
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 12-22-2023 at 07:02 PM.

And here's a previous discussion from a few years back [[events have obviously overtaken a little bit). Ironically we've even had a J5 CD released on the Natural Resources label since then, courtesy of Music On CD. https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...Unlreleased://

I bought this when it came out or shortly thereafter. It's a good release. Some nice covers in a soulful vein in "Listen, I'll tell you how" and " Man's Temptation" and some nice outtakes like "Love comes in different flavours".

I think "Come and get it: The rare pearls" was the last brilliant Jackson 5 release containing unreleased material. It's a real shame we've not had anything substantial since then in new releases.

025-272-227-0 Jackson 5 - I Want You Back! Unreleased Masters

01."Medley: I Want You Back/ABC/The Love You Save"
    [[Alternate Version from Flip Wilson Show [[Oct. 1971)

02."That's How Love Is"
    [[Recorded 1970 during ABC recording sessions at the Motown's Hitsville Studio, Detroit, Michigan.)

03."Listen I'll Tell You How"
    [[Recorded May 1969 during Diana Ross presents Jackson 5 recording sessions at the Motown's Hitsville Studio, Detroit, Michigan.)

04."Man's Temptation"
    [[Recorded February 12, 1970 during ABC recording sessions at the Motown's Hitsville Studio, Detroit, Michigan.

05."Never Can Say Goodbye"
    [[Alternate version from Flip Wilson Show [[oct. 1971))

06."Love Comes in Different Flavors"
    [[Recorded 1970 during ABC recording sessions)

07."ABC"
    [[alternate version during ABC recording sessions)

08."Love Call"
    [[Recorded October 12, 1971 during Lookin' Through The Windows recording sessions).

09."Buttercup"
    [[Recorded 1973 during Dancing Machine recording sessions).

10."Lucky Day"
    [[Recorded January - February 1974 during Dancing Machine recording sessions).

11."I'll Try You'll Try [[Maybe We'll All Get By)"
    [[Recorded late 1972 - early 1973 during Skywriter recording sessions).

12."Dancing Machine"
    [[Alternate version during Get It Together recording sessions).

If you'll pardon my being a bit of a broken record on the subject, the standout track for me on this release is the awesome Stevie Wonder-produced/written smooth R&B jam, 'Buttercup.' Sounds like it could have been recorded yesterday [[only, in a good way) and it's baffling that it wasn't released in the seventies. I think it had huge hit potential.

For me, that alone justifies the album but it also features a fantastic full length and never before released version of 'Dancing Machine' which also makes you ask... why? [[It was only previously out in edited forms). There are a few other gems but if they had used some of the stuff which came out later on 'Rare Pearls' such as the studio version of 'Feeling Alright' they could have made a near perfect album. I'm not as keen on the TV studio recordings, although it's still nice to hear them.