[REMOVE ADS]

Freddie Scott-The Very Best of Freddie Scott [now available-Playback Records]

Info from SecondDisc.com-

Freddie Scott [1933-2007] had been recording for seven years when his impassioned rendition of Carole King and Gerry Goffin's "Hey Girl" reached the top ten of both the Pop and R&B charts in 1963. Scott never topped the success of "Hey Girl" on the Pop side, though his equally dramatic version of Bert Berns' "Are You Lonely for Me, Baby" went to No. 1 R&B three year later, in 1966. An accomplished songwriter as well as a singer, Scott's discography contains a number of gems beyond those two classics, though, and Australian label
    Playback Records has rounded up two dozen of them on the appropriately-entitled The Very Best of Freddie Scott. This handsome collection showcases the uptown soul man at his finest, with lush tracks culled from his tenures at Colpix, Joy, Columbia, Shout, Probe, and other labels, spanning 1961-1997. In addition to "Hey Girl," Goffin and King are represented by the fine likes of "Where Does Love Go" and "Brand New World;" Berns looms large, too, with Jerry Ragovoy co-write "No One Could Ever Love You;" the Jeff Barry collaboration "Am I Grooving You," and the powerful "Cry to Me." Berns also helmed Scott's take on Van Morrison's "He Ain't Give You None." Scott brought his deep soul to make these songs his own as well as Ray Charles' "I Got a Woman," rebirthed as a big beat ballad, and Mann, Weil, Leiber, and Stoller's perennial "On Broadway." A rare single written and produced by Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff, the suitably funky "[[You) Got What I Need," is another highlight in a collection packed with them. The Very Best of Freddie Scott is a snapshot of the prodigious creativity pouring out of the Brill Building in the 1960s; two more strong cuts come from his frequent co-writer Helen Miller's cult favorite Broadway musical Inner City, co-written with author Eve Merriam. Among the new-to-CD tracks is a demo of Roger Atkins and Carl D'Errico's "Why Did I Lose You." David Cole provides the comprehensive liner notes for this terrifically enjoyable package which has been remastered by Gil Matthews.

1. Hey Girl
    2. I Got A Woman
    3. Lost The Right
    4. When The Wind Changes
    5. Where Does Love Go
    6. I'll Try Again
    7. Brand New World
    8. On Broadway
    9. Lonely Man
    10. Forget Me If You Can
    11. Mr. Heartache
    12. No One Could Ever Love You
    13. Why Did I Lose You? [Demo]
    14. [You] Got What I Need
    15. I'll Be Gone
    16. Am I Grooving You
    17. Sugar On Sunday
    18. Are You Lonely For Me
    19. He Ain't Give You None
    20. Cry To Me
    21. I Shall Be Released
    22. Girl I Love You
    23. Deep In The Night
    24. Watermelon Man
    25. You're So Hard To Forget
    26. The Great "If"

Amazon USA
    Freddie Scott - The Very Best Of Freddie Scott - Amazon.com Music

Playback Records Site-
    The Very Best Of | Freddie Scott | Playback Records [bandcamp.com]
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 12-22-2023 at 10:35 AM.

Thank you Motown Eddie for this thread.

Freddie is an unsung hero, if any:

https://www.soulexpress.net/freddiescott.htm

Best regards
    Heikki