It seems until Lady Sings The Blues that with the exception of Ain't No Mountain High Enough, Diana Ross charted much the same way with her singles
First Release
Up The Ladder to the Roof #10
Reach Out and Touch-#20
Second Release
Everybody's Got The Right To Love-#21
Ain't No Mountain-#1
Afterwards, Stoned Love hit #7 and River Deep Mountain High was #14)with the 4Tops) while Diana's Remember Me hit #16 and Reach Out I'll Be There was # 29
In 1971- Nathan Jones went to #16 but the 4Tops Follow up You Gotta Have Love in Your Heart only hit #55 while Touch only made it to #71
Diana's Surrender hit #38 and I'm Still Waiting only made it to #63
1972 was the year that Lady Sings The Blues was released, still Good Morning Heartache went to #34. The Supremes bounced back with Floy Joy hitting #16 and Automatically Sunshine sliding into #37. After that, the Supremes singles slid progressively lower with Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love at #59, I Guess I'll Miss The Man at #85 and Bad Weather at #87 in 1973. I am not sure if Motown was focused on Miss Ross or if Motown was feeling less loyalty to the Supremes. Now that Cindy Birdsong was gone and Lynda Laurence took her place along with Jean Terrell allegedly becoming difficult with the label, they may have had less loyalty to Mary Wilson in the face of that along with the rising star of Miss Ross as a star of music and the big screen. The Supremes did not release another single until 1975 with Scherrie Payne and Cindy joining Mary.

By 1973, interest in Ross, now an Oscar Nominated actress , may have grew and she hit #1 for the second time with Touch Me in The Morning, her duet with Marvin Gaye hit #12 with Special Part of me and Last Time I saw Him hit #14.

Any thoughts as to why legend has it that the Supremes withered away after Ross left? Clearly the group had many strong chart action and Ross was as up & down as they were if not more so.

Was it just PR? Was it a perception once Ross had a hit movie followed up with a second #1? Clearly the charts show a different story than the one that has been espoused by Motown, the press and some fans.