[REMOVE ADS]

Michael Jackson`s "Big Boy"

Micheal Jackson`s unreleased first recording is scheduled to be released soon I`ve just heard.

Help me understand: Is there an unreleased solo or Motown group version of this song to be released, since the Steeltown version by The J5 was released nearly 60 years ago and has been digitally available for years?

What I heard was that it was recorded at their the first sessions at Motown.

Gotcha. In that case, I welcome it—it’ll be interesting to hear the differences that the magic of the Motown machine made! Thanks.

Interesting one this.

What else is to be released with it - can't be a single lonesome track - or can it? Wasn't aware they'd recorded it at Motown but there are many unknown and unreleased tracks still it seems.

As far as I can tell the tracks recorded at their first sessions in May 1969 were:

Listen I'll Tell You How
    Oh, I've Been Blessed
    Stand
    To Sir With Love
    Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah

Of which I think only "To Sir With Love" remains in the vault.

Just seen this on YouTube though - is it this what's being referred to [[clearly not a Motown cut)??? Also seems like a very weird situation to me.

Last edited by mysterysinger; 12-09-2023 at 08:54 AM.

That`ll be it mystery.I just heard Michael Jackson`s unreleased song mentioned [[which I really didn`t give a shit about) and didn`t watch closely until the magic word Motown recording was mentioned.It was on Aussie TV station Sky Newts which is a Rupert Murdoch propaganda site at 6.am their time.

In November 1967 the Jackson Five they recorded their first ever record on 45 Steeltown 681 which was a regional hit in 1968. This was before the first sessions with Motown.

The 2nd record "We Dont Have To be Over 21" Steeltown 682 1968 was also issued.

I have a copy of the record, [it's not a good copy] however below are the two Steeltown 45 sides from youtube.

You've Changed
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzeCUlcw174
    Big Boy
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKdfzSyxTa4
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 12-10-2023 at 10:54 AM.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...ig-boy-235954/
    As per Mjdestiny's link above, this is a Jackson 5 recording of 'Big Boy!' but which predates their widely acknowledged "first" recordings with Steeltown and which was written about by RollingStone back in 2014. Apparently no one knew, or remembered, that they had already cut the same track for 'Onederful' Records before the Steeltown release.

And, speaking as a huge fan of the Jackson 5, especially all the early Motown/Bobby Taylor recordings, I don't feel it's something you really need to hear more than once.
    Last edited by stupidactingsmart; 12-10-2023 at 02:36 PM.