[REMOVE ADS]

Desert Island Diana

There is a long running radio show in the UK named Desert Island Discs where people from all walks of life discuss their eight favourite songs and what was going down in their lives during that time.
    Berry Gordy has appeared, choosing “I Hear A Symphony” as his favourite track from an eclectic list. It was really interesting hearing him talk about his early years.
    I so wish Diana could guest as i realise just how little i actually know about her musical tastes and which songs from other artists have meant the most to her over the course of her life. I’m guessing Etta James and perhaps the Drifters might feature
    Would she ever be that candid i don’t know, but It would be less time consuming then writing a book.

I’m sure “I will survive” is on that list.

if i had to pick a studio album [[in other words, no GH or Anthology series) to take to a desert island, i'd do the following

original lineup - WDOLG
    Diana solo - The Boss
    70s sups - probably MS&S but Right On would be close 2nd

as for a 45 - YCHL, although i'm not as much of a fan of the mono version so maybe i'd quickly wax a stereo 45 before boarding that doomed ship or airplane and landing on the island lol

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    I’m sure “I will survive” is on that list.
    I guess the Gloria Gaynor version would most likely make her top eight lol.
    We also know she listens to Harry Nilsson as that was how she chose to record “Remember” for the I Love You album. I’m guessing there would also be a Stevie song in there somewhere.
    I do remember her posting a song by UK r &b singer Will Downing on Twitter.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 12-09-2023 at 03:11 AM.

Shirley Horn is also sure to be well-represented. I was delighted to see Diana select several of her tracks for her streaming service picks a couple of years back [was it Spotify?].

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Shirley Horn is also sure to be well-represented. I was delighted to see Diana select several of her tracks for her streaming service picks a couple of years back [was it Spotify?].
    That’s interesting sans, as i knew Mary Wilson was a fan but didn’t know Diana was as well. I love me some Shirley Horn. An SH tribute album would have been rather nice.

hard island choice,..Boss, Diana, TMH, BIM

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    That’s interesting sans, as i knew Mary Wilson was a fan but didn’t know Diana was as well. I love me some Shirley Horn. An SH tribute album would have been rather nice.
    I second all the motions! And it wouldn’t be too late, if she’s reading this!

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I second all the motions! And it wouldn’t be too late, if she’s reading this!
    Shirley Horn would be perfect for where Diana’s voice is now, but doubt she would ever turn out a whole album as tribute to another female artist at this stage of her career.
    Film soundtracks being the exception.
    Would love to hear what she could do with “Here’s To Life”.