[REMOVE ADS]

Dis lyrics that made you go DANG!

The Gladys Knight and the Pips song "I Feel a Song In My Heart" popped into my head the other day. The lyrics below made me go "DANG!, she dissed him big time!!"

"He makes me feel just like a woman
    Something that you could never do"

How about some Motown song lyrics that get a similar reaction from you?

My Motown entry for DIS-style lyrics is easily Yvonne Fair's "Walk Out The Door If You Wanna". In Norman Whitfield's fed-up scenario, he's got Yvonne dissing, "Ten years, one wig, and a house full of kids. That's all I get from marriage to you. Seven days a week you're running the street -- taking me for granted, Daddy -- I can't stand it! You can walk out the door if you wanna. I'm gonna march on down to the corner. Hey, I'm gonna drop a dime on that boyfriend of mine. Tell him I'm free -- come on and get me!"

The Supremes-"I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking" ["You take my very best, And give me less, I'm tired and I just can't take no more, Your love is unstable, Darling while I'm able, Gonna ease on out the door"]

Martha Reeves "Footsteps Never Come" Table Set for One" "No One There, No Love To Share"

My favourite Motown record

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_n6L_fA0BA
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 12-07-2023 at 06:11 AM.

Temptations SUPERSTAR:

Superstar, good God
    Enjoy your champagne and caviar
    And your chauffeur drivin' fancy car
    But remember how you got where you are
    Oh ho ho, 'cause the same folks that made you
    Um hum, you better believe they can break you

No you didn't make it all by yourself
    You had help from somebody else
    The truth is the light, don't let it depress you
    You just be thankful that the good Lord made you

Superstar, ah do you know who your real friends are
    Ah, talkin' to you

Eddie Kendricks KEEP ON TRUCKIN':

In old Temptation's rain, I'm duckin'
    For your love through sleet and snow, I'm truckin'
    Ain't nothin' holdin' me back, nothin'
    I'll keep right on, right on truckin'

The Temptations-"Glasshouse"- ["We're all made with feet of clay and some grease, We're born alone and we die alone, Why can't we live in-between?, I don't care what goes on in your house when you close your door, If you stop lookin' in my bedroom window, I'll stop lookin' in yours, My girl came home and she caught me with Alice, And she threw me out the door, now, now, now, But the real reason that she was so mad, Is that she was with Alice before [Say what?! Ha ha ha], [See there? People always doin' that, ha ha].

The Supremes-"Nathan Jones"- ["You packed your bags as I recall, And you walked slowly down the hall, You said you had to get away to ease your mind, And all you needed was a just little of time, Oh, winter's passed, spring and fall, You never wrote me, you never called, [Yeah] Nathan Jones, you've been gone too long, Gone too long [Gone too long].

The Supremes' You Keep Me Hanging On came out at the time of my parents' divorce. My mom finally made up her mind to walk away from my abusive alcoholic father. Black women didn't do that in the sixties. He knew that I taunted him when I sang the lyrics and attacked me on several occasions. Boy was it worth the beatings inflicting emotional pain on him.

Set me free, Why don't you babe
    Get out my life, Why don't you babe
    You don't really love me.
    You just keep me hanging on.
    Last edited by nabob; 12-08-2023 at 06:51 PM.