[REMOVE ADS]

Brenda Lee Hits #1 on Billboard Hot 100

https://www.movin925.com/lets-be-jol...he-first-time/

Yea I know it’s not Supremes but you guys read and post and care

That is completely amazing. Her last number one record was 1960's "I'm Sorry" but more importantly she knocked off "All I Want for Christmas" which is a great tune except when it's played back-to-back starting Oct 31-Dec 25 as it has in recent years.

Her full Christmas album is also wonderful and well worth a spin on your turntables:

The more recent reissue including these and other tunes is:

I am thrilled for 78-year-old Brenda Lee.

I saw her in Las Vegas. I was in the front row; great show. It was mid summer, but she sang Rocking Around the Christmas Tree to everyone’s delight. After the show, she was in the lobby for over an hour greeting fans and signing autographs. Pure class !

�� Look at this post on Facebook https://www.billboard.com/music/coun...QdoFtPP_NYd_zY

This is probably why Cher is finally realizing the reason for the season: there's gold in them there snow-topped hills. Mariah and Darlene and Brenda and McCartney maintain a bonus income each year when the chestnuts get dusted off.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 12-05-2023 at 03:31 PM.

An artist gets $3000 for a million streams - and there are hardly any physical sales - I may have read 25000 for Cher’s album although I might not be remembering correctly

They had an interview with Brenda on CBC Radio.

Very down to earth.

It made me realize what many of you say about Diana declining to do any promotion is true.

Brenda is all over everywhere - tv radio internet

Granted they’ve had very different careers and Diana has continued her career for 60 years while Brenda paused hers - and Diana always has to face questions she doesn’t want to answer

But if you want a hit - you might have to compromise

Congratulations to her.
    Saw her on TV a few times this week
    Saw Dolly on TV a few times
    Saw Cher on TV....same
    Saw Diana Ross.....zero

Maybe Diana Ross doesnt give a hoot about another hit. Shes 80 next year. EIGHTY!!!! Let her tour when she feels like it and stay home when she feel like it. I work fora small accounting company and when I am 70 not even 80 I will not be filing peoples financial papers and toting boxes of old files to storage rooms. Im going to be retired and volunteering at my chiurch and going on many many vacations. You work all your life to enjoy your golden years. Diana Ross could be giving out interviews and popping on every local and national TV station for interviews but she doesnt yet shes still selling out concert halls. Shes maybe only interested in live audiences now and thats up to her. Lets us all be blessed to live to 80 and hopefully beyond and lets us all do what we darned well please. We will surely have earned that right and so has Miss Diana Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Maybe Diana Ross doesnt give a hoot about another hit. Shes 80 next year. EIGHTY!!!! Let her tour when she feels like it and stay home when she feel like it. I work fora small accounting company and when I am 70 not even 80 I will not be filing peoples financial papers and toting boxes of old files to storage rooms. Im going to be retired and volunteering at my chiurch and going on many many vacations. You work all your life to enjoy your golden years. Diana Ross could be giving out interviews and popping on every local and national TV station for interviews but she doesnt yet shes still selling out concert halls. Shes maybe only interested in live audiences now and thats up to her. Lets us all be blessed to live to 80 and hopefully beyond and lets us all do what we darned well please. We will surely have earned that right and so has Miss Diana Ross.
    Absolutely Roberta.

Well said, as usual.

�� Look at this post on Facebook https://www.billboard.com/music/char...BAJu3J1G7cC-F4

Look at how few singles #1 and 2 are selling - five or six thousand.

Agree with Roberta

You are so right, Miss Roberta.

https://apple.news/AccjJ0S0oTMGkxPATFZL_5A

Monetary return of Rockin

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Can you give us the BLUF? It's behind a subscription paywall.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Can you give us the BLUF? It's behind a subscription paywall.
    True to its title, Brenda Lee‘s “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree” — which just notched its second straight week at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 — brings in some serious green over the holiday season.

Billboard estimates that in 2022, the enduring holiday hit racked up $2.7 million in master recording revenue for Lee and her label, Universal Music Group, and $1.274 million in publishing revenue, totaling nearly $4 million, on the strength of 464 million on-demand streams and 25,000 track downloads.

So far this year, Billboard estimates the master recording has garnered $1.6 million in revenue and about $700,000 in publishing revenue, or $2.3 million total, on the strength of 301 million on-demand global streams and 16,000 track downloads.

In the United States last year, “Rockin’ Around The Christmas Tree” generated nearly 1.75 million song consumption units [[track downloads and on-demand streaming), while it has so far accumulated 967,000 song consumption units [[and, within that, 301 million on-demand streams) in 2023.

But there’s still plenty of holiday season left — and when you compare the 49-week period that has elapsed so far this year with the same period in 2022, it’s clear that “Rockin'” is on track to surpass last year’s total. The song’s 967,000 song consumption units to date in 2023 is far ahead of last year’s 807,000 song consumption units [[and 195 million streams) at the same point. [[Luminate doesn’t compile global song consumption units).

“Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree” was solely written by the late Johnny Marks, whose publishing company, St. Nicholas Music, would get the publishing revenue. Marks wrote a number of other holiday favorites including “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer,” “A Holly Jolly Christmas,” “Silver and Gold” and “I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day.”

The above estimates don’t include whatever royalties come in from licensing the song to Christmas compilation albums; while the publishing total doesn’t include whatever revenue is generated from cover versions.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    True to its title, Brenda Lee‘s “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree” — which just notched its second straight week at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 — brings in some serious green over the holiday season.

Billboard estimates that in 2022, the enduring holiday hit racked up $2.7 million in master recording revenue for Lee and her label, Universal Music Group, and $1.274 million in publishing revenue, totaling nearly $4 million, on the strength of 464 million on-demand streams and 25,000 track downloads.

So far this year, Billboard estimates the master recording has garnered $1.6 million in revenue and about $700,000 in publishing revenue, or $2.3 million total, on the strength of 301 million on-demand global streams and 16,000 track downloads.

In the United States last year, “Rockin’ Around The Christmas Tree” generated nearly 1.75 million song consumption units [[track downloads and on-demand streaming), while it has so far accumulated 967,000 song consumption units [[and, within that, 301 million on-demand streams) in 2023.

But there’s still plenty of holiday season left — and when you compare the 49-week period that has elapsed so far this year with the same period in 2022, it’s clear that “Rockin'” is on track to surpass last year’s total. The song’s 967,000 song consumption units to date in 2023 is far ahead of last year’s 807,000 song consumption units [[and 195 million streams) at the same point. [[Luminate doesn’t compile global song consumption units).

“Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree” was solely written by the late Johnny Marks, whose publishing company, St. Nicholas Music, would get the publishing revenue. Marks wrote a number of other holiday favorites including “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer,” “A Holly Jolly Christmas,” “Silver and Gold” and “I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day.”

The above estimates don’t include whatever royalties come in from licensing the song to Christmas compilation albums; while the publishing total doesn’t include whatever revenue is generated from cover versions.
    That is truly, truly amazing. I had no idea it had 464 MILLION streams. That is an unreal number. I’ve played it on my turntable 465 MILLION times but didn’t expect it to STREAM that much.
    Thanks for the paste job, @Reese.

That is truly, truly amazing. I had no idea it had 464 MILLION streams. That is an unreal number. I’ve played it on my turntable 465 MILLION times but didn’t expect it to STREAM that much.
    Thanks for the paste job, @Reese.
    I hope Miss Lee gets royalties. She sure deserves them.

You have to love this - Mariah Carey’s song returned to #1 this week and sold 8000 downloads

What a state this industry is in; there is nothing left but touring

It’s heartwarming to see posts on Brenda Lee, especially with this being a Diana Ross & Supremes forum. Variety truly is the spice of life.

You have to love this - Mariah Carey’s song returned to #1 this week and sold 8000 downloads

Endless radio play ensures continued stardom and relevance. If the public at-large does not hear a singer on radio or tv, they are often replaced and forgotten.

I went to a karaoke bar Saturday night. Everyone, including young people, was singing Cher’s new Christmas song and the audience was loving the song.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 12-19-2023 at 08:34 PM.

I'm one of those who is frankly sick of hearing Mariah's song. It was great in 1994 but after being constantly overplayed and overused for the past 5-6 years it needs to go away. My Christmas wish is that the public gets sick of it and loses it's appeal.

I do have to say for all the success and number one hits Mariah has, not including top 10 hits, the fact she has allowed herself to be reduced down to this "Queen of Christmas" persona and putting such a emphasis on that one song, she's kind of becoming a novelty act.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I'm one of those who is frankly sick of hearing Mariah's song. It was great in 1994 but after being constantly overplayed and overused for the past 5-6 years it needs to go away. My Christmas wish is that the public gets sick of it and loses its appeal.
    I agree brad, it’s certainly one i could do without. The same goes for quite a few other non traditional christmas songs on constant rotation.
    I guess the majority like the familiar, wearing as that can be for the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I agree brad, it’s certainly one i could do without. The same goes for quite a few other non traditional christmas songs on constant rotation.
    I guess the majority like the familiar, wearing as that can be for the rest of us.
    It might be the most popular Christmas song ever but it almost certainly is the most irritating and disliked as well. At a recent boot camp, I asked how many people hate this song and a lot of hands went up.

There’s another article around about how much money Sony and Mariah have made off it - a ton. And there are articles around saying record companies are pushing their artists to do Christmas albums because they are lucrative

A report from the New York Post estimated that she makes around $3 million every year from the song. In 2021 it was claimed that Carey has raked in more than $60 million from 'All I Want For Christmas is You' and she continues to profit from the track. She also enjoys a number of sponsorship ties thanks to the song.

I went looking and found that; I think there’s a recent Billboard article on it as well

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    George Michaels Last Christmas has me turning down the car radio every time it comes on and Im a huge George Michaels fan. The song just bores me and its real overplayed IMO.

George Michaels Last Christmas has me turning down the car radio every time it comes on and Im a huge George Michaels fan. The song just bores me and its real overplayed IMO.
    SNAP LOL. It’s the one song that literally bores me to tears. I’ve heard it so often, it’s the equivalent of being force fed Christmas pudding every time i hear it.

It might be the most popular Christmas song ever but it almost certainly is the most irritating and disliked as well. At a recent boot camp, I asked how many people hate this song and a lot of hands went up.

There’s another article around about how much money Sony and Mariah have made off it - a ton. And there are articles around saying record companies are pushing their artists to do Christmas albums because they are lucrative
    I'm surprised that Universal hasn't been pushing their Motown Xmas releases. With so many older recordings hitting Billboard's Top 100 in the past few years, I could see the Supremes' SANTA CLAUS IS COMING TO TOWN or the Tempts' RUDOLPH THE RED-NOSED REINDEER doing the same.

I'm surprised that Universal hasn't been pushing their Motown Xmas releases...
    Not surprised at all. Again, another case of Universal simply losing the plot !!
    Last edited by Starguard4; 12-21-2023 at 05:36 PM.

I'm surprised that Universal hasn't been pushing their Motown Xmas releases. With so many older recordings hitting Billboard's Top 100 in the past few years, I could see the Supremes' SANTA CLAUS IS COMING TO TOWN or the Tempts' RUDOLPH THE RED-NOSED REINDEER doing the same.
    It’s kind of like they’ve let it all go

They couldn’t even promote the reissues when they came out. You think they would do this?

They couldn’t even promote the reissues when they came out. You think they would do this?
    What's going on? Is there no money in it for them? How can that be given what happened to Brenda Lee? It makes no sense and I'm not sure it has ever made sense.

That novelty song just hit its 13th week at number 1 . Now it ranks as on of the biggest hits of the rock era.
    I'm one of those who is frankly sick of hearing Mariah's song. It was great in 1994 but after being constantly overplayed and overused for the past 5-6 years it needs to go away. My Christmas wish is that the public gets sick of it and loses it's appeal.

I do have to say for all the success and number one hits Mariah has, not including top 10 hits, the fact she has allowed herself to be reduced down to this "Queen of Christmas" persona and putting such a emphasis on that one song, she's kind of becoming a novelty act.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    That novelty song just hit its 13th week at number 1 . Now it ranks as on of the biggest hits of the rock era.
    I have to admit I catch myself singing a couple lines here and there

Burl Ives, Bobby Helms, Eartha Kitt, and Andy Williams will be forever remembered because of their Christmas hits. I still hear them regularly on the radio and in the stores this and every Christmas. Great Christmas music is powerful.

Christmas music is big business — just ask Mariah Carey

Streaming era a boon to artists looking for a Christmas bonus

Jenna Benchetrit · CBC News · Posted: Dec 22, 2023 1:00 AM PST | Last Updated: December 22
    Three women are shown in a composite photo.
    From left, Brenda Lee, Mariah Carey and Cher. As the streaming era continues to change our listening habits and redefines how artists are compensated, a catchy holiday song could mean a Christmas bonus.
    The trees are lit up, the sleigh bells are ringing, but for some the true sign of Christmas is Mariah Carey singing.

Crafting the perfect holiday hit isn't easy — see above! — but artists from Cher to Alanis Morissette to boygenius have tried this year, following in the footsteps of Kelly Clarkson, Ariana Grande and Justin Bieber.

As the streaming era continues to change our listening habits and redefine how artists are compensated, a catchy holiday song could mean a Christmas bonus.

"It's really easy to make holiday playlists or to listen to holiday playlists. So a lot of these songs end up getting tons and tons of listens through that very feature of streaming services," said Brian Fauteux, an associate professor of popular music and media studies at the University of Alberta.

WATCH | Why so many artists are making Christmas music:

All I want for Christmas is a holiday hit on a streaming playlist

4 days ago
    Duration 2:14
    As Christmas songs top the December streaming charts every year, more artists are looking for that holiday hit to get in on the action.
    "There's a lot more pressure on artists now to release more music more frequently or outside of that album cycle to release singles here and there," he said. "So to have something that fits within the holiday format or the holiday category, you can end up getting on a playlist [and] getting a lot of streams."

With the holiday music business worth an estimated $177 million US a year, more artists are releasing Christmas covers and original songs — some hoping to recreate the magic that turned Carey's 1994 pop song All I Want For Christmas Is You into an enduring holiday classic.

A man wearing a burgundy sweater poses for a photo in front of a holiday display.
    Brian Fauteux, an associate professor of popular music and media studies at the University of Alberta, says the streaming era has proven to be a huge boon to the Christmas music market. [[Jamie McCannell/CBC)
    How streaming boosted the holiday music market

Juno-winning artist Alex Cuba recently released his holiday song Christmas Made For Love in Spanish, Portuguese and English. He didn't grow up celebrating Christmas, nor did he intend to write a Christmas song.

"But all the sudden the word navidad showed up in my mind, feeding the melody perfectly," he said, using the Spanish word for Christmas.

"And I'm like, 'Oh, wait a minute. This could be a Christmas song.' "

WATCH | Alex Cuba's first Christmas song, Christmas Made For Love:

Because of streaming and the dense volume of music released each year, "these days it has become more and more important for musicians to find the right time to release music," Cuba explained.

"If you could use the marketing that already exists out there to your advantage then you have more chances that your song gets somewhere."

Carey builds anticipation for her song's resurgence each year with a social media campaign, while Canadian crooner Michael Bublé ushers in the season with a high-profile Christmas special. Others want the Christmas cultural stamp of approval: Barbie star Ryan Gosling and music supervisor Mark Ronson just released a festive version of the film's power ballad, I'm Just Ken.

Ryan Gosling releases Ken the EP with Christmas version of 'I'm Just Ken'
    More broadly, the shift to playlist-style listening means that a lot of people are choosing music based on mood — and God knows that blasting Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town [[Springsteen's version, of course) is one way of getting into the Christmas spirit.

Fauteux says there's a huge spike in holiday listenership right after Halloween.

"I think that's because there's this broader mood shift to thinking about getting ready for the holiday season and the fact that so much of our listening now is tied to mood."

LISTEN | What makes a Christmas song a classic?:

The Current27:23
    What makes a Christmas song a classic?
    What gives a classic Christmas song its staying power? CBC Music host Paolo Pietropaolo shares his theory, and some holiday tunes he thinks should be hailed as all-time classics too.

Lauren Spencer Smith, a pop singer-songwriter from Nanaimo, B.C., released her single Broke Christmas alongside a cover of the sultry standard Santa Baby. The two songs have almost inverted themes: one focusing on not having money to spend for the holidays, the other a tally of increasingly expensive gifts that reflects on the materialism of Christmas.

"On the business side of things, it is a great opportunity if every single year people are coming back to your music and restreaming," she said.

"So many of the genres are so overpopulated … And I think everyone now is realizing putting out Christmas music is just another way to potentially hit a market that not everyone is hopping on."

WATCH | Lauren Spencer Smith's ode to sad Christmases:

It's all about timing — and timelessness

In 2022, a music analytics firm found that "catalogue listening" [[i.e. older music) now accounts for 70 per cent of the U.S. music market.

That trend is part of the reason why Brenda Lee's Rocking Around The Christmas Tree — released in 1958 — recently hit number one on the Billboard Hot 100 this year; holiday songs used to have their own separate chart. Lee, now 79, released an accompanying music video through her record label this month.

LISTENWhy Mariah Carey's All I Want For Christmas Is You is such a classic holiday hit
    Brenda Lee's Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree hits No. 1 for the 1st time
    Meanwhile, All I Want For Christmas Is You recently topped the Billboard Hot 100 for the fifth year in a row.

Over the years, various outlets from Billboard to The Economist have tried to peg how many royalties the song earns. Spotify's former chief economist Will Page has estimated the song will exceed $100 million US in earnings this holiday season.

"For a lot of legacy artists, it can be a way to get back out there, get back on the charts to put a lot of effort into a holiday push for things like social media promotion," Fauteux said, noting that it can be a way to maintain chart activity for artists between albums.

WATCH | Why Brenda Lee's 1958 Christmas hit has endured:

This Christmas song is finally No. 1 — 65 years later

14 days ago
    Duration 0:54
    Brenda Lee's Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree has hit Number 1 for the first time, topping the Billboard Hot 100 songs chart 65 years after its release. Lee spoke to Q’s Tom Power about recording the song at just 13 years old and how having the song in the movie Home Alone propelled its popularity.
    But what does it take to write the perfect Christmas song, the kind of tune that makes you think you smell eggnog or see Santa? Fauteux says that universal lyrics and catchy melodies are just one part of the formula.

"I think a lot of them tie into a sense of nostalgia quite effectively, thinking about the holiday season and what it means to reflect back or be taken back to a time in the past."

Are you trying to keep holiday costs low this year? Tell us about your creative solutions in an email to ask@cbc.ca.
    ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Jenna Benchetrit
    Journalist
    Jenna Benchetrit is a web and radio journalist for CBC News. She works primarily with the entertainment and education teams and occasionally covers business and general assignment stories. A Montrealer based in Toronto, Jenna holds a master's degree in journalism from Toronto Metropolitan University. You can reach her at jenna.benchetrit@cbc.ca.
    With files from Eli Glasner and Laura Thompson

CBC's Journalistic Standards and Practices|About CBC News
    Corrections and clarifications|Submit a news tip|

For at least 40 years, Bing Crosby's White Christmas was the largest selling single. I would hazard a guess if controlled for inflation and market size, it probably is the largest selling song of all time. Maybe Carey's All I Want might have overtaken it, but you have to control for both.

I was referring to weeks at number one not as much as how much $ it’s made
    For at least 40 years, Bing Crosby's White Christmas was the largest selling single. I would hazard a guess if controlled for inflation and market size, it probably is the largest selling song of all time. Maybe Carey's All I Want might have overtaken it, but you have to control for both.

I was referring to weeks at number one not as much as how much $ it’s made
    Doesn't it have to generate sales $ to get to No. 1? I'm not sure if Carey's has surpassed Crosby's but wouldn't be a bit surprised if it has.

The article says All I Want has made $100 million