[REMOVE ADS]

Wonderful Christmas Time

Its that Sleigh Bells jingling time of year again…
    I think this album has stood test of time well, sounding as good today as when first released. I remember being amazed at the power in Diana’s voice on songs such as “His Eye Is On The Sparrow” and her quintessential version of “Amazing Grace”. Not as fond of the Hallmark tracks which seem to lack fizz.
    Original cover art was blah, and “Ave Maria truly awful, but all in all a polished and classy affair that deserves to be considered a classic.

Is it really that bad lol.

I always wondered why the US had to wait to get this as A Wonderful Christmas Time. I had already gotten A Very Special Season many years before. It's nice to have all of the Christmas songs on one CD but I also added This Christmas to the set. I agree Ollie9 that the Hallmark tracks don't have the same sparkle as the Martinelli produced tracks. Still, I love having a holiday album from Diana to pair with The Supremes Christmas Album.

The Hallmark cd was one of my biggest Ross disappointments. I had high hopes, but they were dashed.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    The Hallmark cd was one of my biggest Ross disappointments. I had high hopes, but they were dashed.
    in a one-horse open sleigh?
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 12-05-2023 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I always wondered why the US had to wait to get this as A Wonderful Christmas Time. I had already gotten A Very Special Season many years before. It's nice to have all of the Christmas songs on one CD but I also added This Christmas to the set. I agree Ollie9 that the Hallmark tracks don't have the same sparkle as the Martinelli produced tracks. Still, I love having a holiday album from Diana to pair with The Supremes Christmas Album.
    The Hallmark tracks sound self produced with Diana’s vocals a little wobbly and reticent at times.
    I admire the fact she resisted covering the usual jolly holly type Christmas songs such as “Frosty and “Santa Claus Is Coming To Town”, opting for a far more traditional, adult orientated sounding album.
    Did you get to see the tv commercials for the album that we did here in the UK?.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    I personally don’t consider the Hallmarks tracks as being that bad, though with the exception of “Ave Maria”not as good as those on her “A Very Special Season” set.
    I particularly like the jazz arrangement on “Jingle Bells”, which would have fit nicely on “AVSS”. Hard to believe it was 2012 when she performed it at the charity concert in Washington.
    The recording of the Hallmark tracks appears shrouded in mystery, with very little info available online.

Ollie9, I never saw the UK commercials. I wonder of I can find them on Youtube???? I do enjoy her choice of material. Paired with the Supremes album, it is a wonderful extension of the holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Ollie9, I never saw the UK commercials. I wonder of I can find them on Youtube???? I do enjoy her choice of material. Paired with the Supremes album, it is a wonderful extension of the holiday.
    It’s amazing listening to the growth in her voice from that early Supremes Christmas set to “Special Season”. It could almost be two different singers.
    I guess the enjoyment factor stems from which sounding voice fans prefer the most.