[REMOVE ADS]

Good Smart Choices

Not exactly a Motown/Supremes story here

I heard a Dolly Parton interview this morning; Rockstar, her new album, debuted at #1 and sold a paltry 118,000 units

Dolly said in the interview that in the 70’s she had a #1 country song with I Will Always Love You.

Years later, Elvis Presley was going to cover the song. Colonel Tom Parker called her up and said “we’re going to cover your song.” And that’s great news. But he says “if we are going to do this, you need to give us the publishing.”

And Dolly said “well, no, I can’t do that.”

And Elvis never covered the song.

What are some of the good decisions Motown artists made?

One good decision by the Motown owner was to have his own publishing company.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I heard a Dolly Parton interview this morning; Rockstar, her new album, debuted at #1 and sold a paltry 118,000 units
    118,000 units sold during release week, in today's music industry, is by no means paltry, especially for a legacy artist like Dolly.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    118,000 units sold during release week, in today's music industry, is by no means paltry, especially for a legacy artist like Dolly.
    It’s as good as it gets nowadays - it’s just paltry compared to the multi weeks of a million plus you could get in the 90’s

Not exactly a Motown/Supremes story here

Dolly said in the interview that in the 70’s she had a #1 country song with I Will Always Love You.

Years later, Elvis Presley was going to cover the song. Colonel Tom Parker called her up and said “we’re going to cover your song.” And that’s great news. But he says “if we are going to do this, you need to give us the publishing.”

And Dolly said “well, no, I can’t do that.”

And Elvis never covered the song.

What are some of the good decisions Motown artists made?

One good decision by the Motown owner was to have his own publishing company.
    You should do a thread on “Good Smart Choices” made by one or more of the Supremes over the years. Lately the ghetto is filled with nothing but criticism, disparagement, and second guessing.

here's a controversial one

Diana made a good smart BUSINESS choice to go to RCA. she was absolutely at the peak of her career and had never been, nor ever would be again, as valuable. she followed Gene's advice and struck while the iron was hot. she had already worked VERY hard for 20 years and she got her payout. She then invested that wisely and the earnings have done her well

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post

Diana made a good smart BUSINESS choice to go to RCA. she was absolutely at the peak of her career and had never been, nor ever would be again, as valuable. she followed Gene's advice and struck while the iron was hot. she had already worked VERY hard for 20 years and she got her payout. She then invested that wisely and the earnings have done her well
    I agree, but...
    ooooooohhhhh, grabbing the popcorn. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post

That sure was a good business decision. Isn't it said when she left Motown, it wasn't with the millions she anticipated? I know people get pissy when you mention dollars, but.....for having a large hand in building that corporation, one would think there would be more 0's than just six.

Otis made a good BUSINESS decision to keep the Temptations going and to a lesser extent the same applies to the FLOS.

Diana leaving and getting the advance was one of the best choices.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    You should do a thread on “Good Smart Choices” made by one or more of the Supremes over the years. Lately the ghetto is filled with nothing but criticism, disparagement, and second guessing.
    It’s totally tame compared to 10 years ago

However, members are slipping away and all the topics have been covered many times

Many of the artists have passed on as have many members

Apparently Dolly debuted at 3 on the main chart - she was #1 on some of the other charts - they have charts for everything these days, just like the Grammys

Apparently Dolly debuted at 3 on the main chart - she was #1 on some of the other charts - they have charts for everything these days, just like the Grammys
    I love Dolly Parton. A great singer and human being and shes real generous with her wealth.

Dolly keeps herself in the public eye with her charitable works [[reading, vaccines etc).

Does Diana do anything charitable?

It’s totally tame compared to 10 years ago

However, members are slipping away and all the topics have been covered many times

Many of the artists have passed on as have many members
    I remember it being more focused on the personalities here 10 years ago. Yes some threw mud at the artists but mostly at each other. Now the focus seems to be picking apart each and every Supreme for any reason with lots of catty and sometimes vicious comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    Dolly keeps herself in the public eye with her charitable works [[reading, vaccines etc).

Does Diana do anything charitable?
    She's been involved with the organization "A Better Chance". Her PSA for them aired after her Super Bowl performance and I believe it was also one of the three charities that received $ from the RTL tour.

Flo not taking the option for a solo deal with Motown was a wise decision. It's unlikely that she would have done anything more than cut some tracks that would have sat in the vault for 30 years. At least somewhere else she'd have a chance.

Also, her decision not to take the initial settlement offer from Motown. She ended up getting much more money when she attained legal counsel. One could also make the argument that leaving- or getting herself fired- when she did was a better financial decision since she ultimately walked away from the group with more money than Mary and Diana did when the former left the group and when the latter left Motown. Of course it all ended up in the lawyer's pocket, but for a minute there, Flo made out like a bandit.
    Last edited by RanRan79; 11-30-2023 at 12:35 PM.

I believe in the late 80's, Martha, Nettie, and Roz sued Motown for back royalties. I don't know that this qualifies as a good or smart choice, but having faith to go after what you are due [[and ultimately winning) is certainly a testament to fighting for what's right.

To a degree, I'd also say that Kat [[Marvelettes) going up against Larry to "win back" the Marvelettes name was a wise decision. I don't know that her touring group ever performed more than a handful of times; seemingly then wouldn't have made millions, but certainly was worth the effort to enjoy some new found "success" in her later years.

Aside from the hits through to 1981, it was a pretty rough ride

But it must have been a privilege and honour for them all to be on the ride

Cheers to Berry Diana Smokey Stevie and Lionel for enduring and surviving

And Otis as well

Absolutely. And the list of Motown survivors is much longer than six people. In addition to those six, kudos to:

Mary Wilson
    Melvin Franklin
    Levi Stubbs
    Lawrence Payton
    Obie Benson
    Duke Fakir
    Martha Reeves
    Roz Ashford
    Annette Sterling
    Betty Kelly
    Kat Anderson
    Gladys Horton
    Marv Johnson
    Brenda Holloway
    Kim Weston
    Gladys Knight
    Bubba Knight
    William Guest
    Edward Patten
    Carolyn Gill
    Jermaine Jackson
    Marlon Jackson
    Tito Jackson
    Jackie Jackson
    Jean Terrell
    Lynda Laurence
    Scherrie Payne
    Susaye Green

That's off the top of my head. I'm sure the list is even longer of people at Motown who managed to survive and ultimately thrive after dealing with such a cutthroat business.

This has turned out to be a nearly positive thread. Well done Rob!

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Absolutely. And the list of Motown survivors is much longer than six people. In addition to those six, kudos to:

Mary Wilson
    Melvin Franklin
    Levi Stubbs
    Lawrence Payton
    Obie Benson
    Duke Fakir
    Martha Reeves
    Roz Ashford
    Annette Sterling
    Betty Kelly
    Kat Anderson
    Gladys Horton
    Marv Johnson
    Brenda Holloway
    Kim Weston
    Gladys Knight
    Bubba Knight
    William Guest
    Edward Patten
    Carolyn Gill
    Jermaine Jackson
    Marlon Jackson
    Tito Jackson
    Jackie Jackson
    Jean Terrell
    Lynda Laurence
    Scherrie Payne
    Susaye Green

That's off the top of my head. I'm sure the list is even longer of people at Motown who managed to survive and ultimately thrive after dealing with such a cutthroat business.
    I'd definitely add Chris Clark to this list; moving from recording at Motown to producing at Motown [[the screenplay for "Lady" especially) paid off in spades.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    This has turned out to be a nearly positive thread.
    Well it was until you showed up.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I'd definitely add Chris Clark to this list; moving from recording at Motown to producing at Motown [[the screenplay for "Lady" especially) paid off in spades.
    Yes, she definitely deserves to be a part of the list.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Well it was until you showed up.
    Here comes the Judge.