[REMOVE ADS]

The Extent of the Collapse of CD Sales

https://apple.news/AQcPZ-T9LTDK77V8pePGSkA

Posting this here so it will be seen by more people

IMHO this is the bigger part of the reason we don't have anymore physical releases of Expanded Editions than anything else. People get all worked up about Universal this and conspiracy theory that, but it's just plain, old, boring economics destroying everything we love again.

It was depressing to read those statistics. It just proves that the physical music industry is dead and there really is no future. The vinyl industry inched up a bit. Because of that, I have heard many people say that the physical music industry is coming back, but it is a niche industry now. Record stores, artists, writers, etc. could never depend on it to make a decent living. And the amount of royalties that streaming pays can buy a pack of gum.

It is now an entirely different industry than what I grew up with. But the industry will go on, because there is no world without music. The industry and the people will adapt to the changes.

It is called progress. Old people like me have trouble accepting some of these changes. I spent a lot of my youth in record stores in front of and behind the counter. It was fun on both sides. I went into one of the few existing ones a few months ago and a father and son came in. It felt like the father was showing his son a museum and explaining how people used to buy their music. The store sold mostly used music and some of the newer niche items. I spoke to the proprietor, who was also an older guy and he says it is an existence now , not a living. He probably saved or invested his profits when the store flourished and keeps it now as a hobby and to keep him busy with something that he still loves.

It is a whole new world now. I must confess though, that it is wonderful to have millions of songs available at the command of my voice while driving in the car or sitting in my home. I guess I am adapting too. Music will never die. The way we listen to it has changed, and it is wishful thinking to say that the old physical way of CDs, vinyl, etc will ever make a strong comeback.
    Last edited by milven; 11-27-2023 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    It was depressing to read those statistics. It just proves that the physical music industry is dead and there really is no future. The vinyl industry inched up a bit. Because of that, I have heard many people say that the physical music industry is coming back, but it is a niche industry now. Record stores, artists, writers, etc. could never depend on it to make a decent living. And the amount of royalties that streaming pays can buy a pack of gum.

It is now an entirely different industry than what I grew up with. But the industry will go on, because there is no world without music. The industry and the people will adapt to the changes.

It is called progress. Old people like me have trouble accepting some of these changes. I spent a lot of my youth in record stores in front of and behind the counter. It was fun on both sides. I went into one of the few existing ones a few months ago and a father and son came in. It felt like the father was showing his son a museum and explaining how people used to buy their music. The store sold mostly used music and some of the newer niche items. I spoke to the proprietor, who was also an older guy and he says it is an existence now , not a living. He probably saved or invested his profits when the store flourished and keeps it now as a hobby and to keep him busy with something that he still loves.

It is a whole new world now. I must confess though, that it is wonderful to have millions of songs available at the command of my voice while driving in the car or sitting in my home. I guess I am adapting too. Music will never die. The way we listen to it has changed, and it is wishful thinking to say that the old physical way of CDs, vinyl, etc will ever make a strong comeback.
    All is not lost, though. While very small, people still pay good bucks for 78 shellacs of Armstrong, Holiday, Fitzgerald and obscure jazz and blues of the 20's and 30's. Try finding a copy of the Andrews Sisters' Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy on Decca 78. Or any of Amstrong's Hot Fives or Hot Seven's on Okeh 78s.

But your point is very well taken. It's not your father's music industry and it never will be again.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    IMHO this is the bigger part of the reason we don't have anymore physical releases of Expanded Editions than anything else. People get all worked up about Universal this and conspiracy theory that, but it's just plain, old, boring economics destroying everything we love again.
    That's part of the reason, but Universal deserves the blame for why this series wasn't completed earlier. So many delays, pushbacks, or just plain dragging their feet on getting things approved. Motown 50 was an absolute bust. That should have been a huge banner year for getting a ton of stuff out there and they did piddle. And for reasons I can't understand, they are so hesitant on approving releases for third party labels like Ace, Real Gone, etc. They clearly aren't doing anything with the catalog other than sitting on it so why not approve releases for smaller labels to release while there is still some market for it? Hell, I see Dionne Warwick, Percy Faith, Gil Scott-Heron getting releases on these labels. Does someone want to tell me that The Supremes, The Temptations, Martha & The Vandellas would sell less than those artists?

And even if they don't want to release things physically anymore on CD, why not do digital releases? It's such a shame that a legendary label as Motown is so neglected.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    That's part of the reason, but Universal deserves the blame for why this series wasn't completed earlier. So many delays, pushbacks, or just plain dragging their feet on getting things approved. Motown 50 was an absolute bust. That should have been a huge banner year for getting a ton of stuff out there and they did piddle. And for reasons I can't understand, they are so hesitant on approving releases for third party labels like Ace, Real Gone, etc. They clearly aren't doing anything with the catalog other than sitting on it so why not approve releases for smaller labels to release while there is still some market for it? Hell, I see Dionne Warwick, Percy Faith, Gil Scott-Heron getting releases on these labels. Does someone want to tell me that The Supremes, The Temptations, Martha & The Vandellas would sell less than those artists?

And even if they don't want to release things physically anymore on CD, why not do digital releases? It's such a shame that a legendary label as Motown is so neglected.
    I can't disagree with you on this. But I also understand they are looking at the market and making decisions for the bottom line, not legacy or the fan base.

Like a few others, this is sad news to me but I guess I cannot complain about the enjoyment I got out of CDs and still do. I am fortunate enough to have a CD player in my relatively new car and that is where I play them. If and when that player conks out, I guess I will see if I can still get a car that has one.

For me the convenience was always the main factor........easy to store, easy to carry, being able to repeat tracks at the push of a button, etc. For those reasons I honestly cannot understand why anyone ever preferred vinyl and I sure don't understand its renewed popularity.

So hopefully the CD can hang on as long as possible. I have read about some re-issues planned for 2024 so I guess we have at least that long to look forward to having them. Oh well it has been a pretty good 40 years!

We have a 2021 truck and 2022 car - a Ford and a Toyota - and couldn’t get a cd player in either

It's funny that I've seen a few recent articles on this same subject mention 'CD rot', which I've known about for many years. I have a handful of CDs from the 80's that have dozens of little pinholes that you can see, when you hold them up to a bright light. However, most of them still play fine. I think only one of them skipped in one of my CD players. That being said, does anyone have any CD's from the 80's that are actually unplayable now? I read at one time that the CD rot phenomenon was more of an issue with those early pressings, due to the types of materials/chemicals they used for the CD layers and the artwork inserts, and that the chemicals somehow interacted together to cause this unstoppable degredation. I hadn't read until recently that all CD's are now only expected to last 50 to 100 years. I tend to wonder how true this is, or if it's just more lies put out by the music industry, to try and lure consumers into buying increasingly pricey vinyl instead? Don't get me wrong, as I love my vinyl and buy it regularly, but the record labels are certainly having a laugh, with these ridiculous prices they are charging. Inciting an unnecessary panic by emphasizing the limited life span of CD's, combined with the high prices and limited quantities they're putting out for some vinyl releases, seems like a clever business strategy to me, more than anything.
    Last edited by carlo; 11-27-2023 at 09:55 PM.

Another reason why I always thought the CD could and should last is the fact that they are so incredibly cheap to produce or so I always heard. So it seemed like that should mean that the profit margin was huge.

I'm 60 and can honestly say I feel little-to-no nostalgia for physical CD's--in fact, I was unaware they were even still produced. I used to have 10,000 of them and they were constantly getting dirty and scratched and lost. Now everything is on one Flash drive, no mess, no problems

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    It's funny that I've seen a few recent articles on this same subject mention 'CD rot', which I've known about for many years. I have a handful of CDs from the 80's that have dozens of little pinholes that you can see, when you hold them up to a bright light. However, most of them still play fine. I think only one of them skipped in one of my CD players. That being said, does anyone have any CD's from the 80's that are actually unplayable now? I read at one time that the CD rot phenomenon was more of an issue with those early pressings, due to the types of materials/chemicals they used for the CD layers and the artwork inserts, and that the chemicals somehow interacted together to cause this unstoppable degredation. I hadn't read until recently that all CD's are now only expected to last 50 to 100 years. I tend to wonder how true this is, or if it's just more lies put out by the music industry, to try and lure consumers into buying increasingly pricey vinyl instead? Don't get me wrong, as I love my vinyl and buy it regularly, but the record labels are certainly having a laugh, with these ridiculous prices they are charging. Inciting an unnecessary panic by emphasizing the limited life span of CD's, combined with the high prices and limited quantities they're putting out for some vinyl releases, seems like a clever business strategy to me, more than anything.
    CD Rot was to the 80's what Mego Melt was to the 70's. This is why we can't have nice things! Now go get me some ice!

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    CD Rot was to the 80's what Mego Melt was to the 70's. This is why we can't have nice things! Now go get me some ice!
    Lol. I ended up carefully carving out the majority of that melted plastic on my Mego dolls. Apparently talc/baby powder in the moving joints also helps. Keep them out of the heat as well. No more Mego melt for Diana and most of my Chers during the past several years, except for one, who's arm is still attached but it keeps moving south. Each year, I wiggle her arm upward, back into place.

Fresh ice coming right up! Tina!! Get me the axe!
    Last edited by carlo; 11-29-2023 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    I'm 60 and can honestly say I feel little-to-no nostalgia for physical CD's--in fact, I was unaware they were even still produced. I used to have 10,000 of them and they were constantly getting dirty and scratched and lost. Now everything is on one Flash drive, no mess, no problems
    Everything is only on one flash drive? I'd kindly recommend making a backup, if you haven't already.

I have my stuff backed up 100 different ways!

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    I have my stuff backed up 100 different ways!
    Oh good! Wise man.

I've been in the tech field for 25 years so I'm usually ahead of the curve. Happy late thanksgiving, everyone.