[REMOVE ADS]

Marvin and Tammi The Complete Duets

Been reliving this set this week and thoroughly enjoying it so decided to upload to my Ipod - I wondered if anyone else had noticed the track listing in Itunes when you do so?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Have seen reports of this before and thought it quite ironic. What I would like to know Paul is what it comes up with on "You're All I Need To Get By" because that's surely mostly Valerie as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Have seen reports of this before and thought it quite ironic. What I would like to know Paul is what it comes up with on "You're All I Need To Get By" because that's surely mostly Valerie as well.
    That shows as Marvin and Tammi

Righto Paul, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Righto Paul, thanks.
    Although quite clearly it's VS on the female lead all the way through

Now I`ll have to burn a Marvin Gaye & Valerie Simpson CD. Thank you for this Paul - I wonder if Valerie had any input into this if not who would have.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Although quite clearly it's VS on the female lead all the way through
    I have to give the first female line to Tammi [[with arms open wide, I threw away my pride, I'll sacrifice for you" on the basis that it sounds like her [[to me) and sounds a little weak - which is what you might expect in the circumstances.

Then the bit "dedicate my life to you, I will go where you lead, always there in time of need" I'm least convinced about.

It's Val for sure from "There's no, no looking back for us" and the rest of the song. But I'm not the expert - and maybe there's not an appetite for another discussion.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 11-26-2023 at 05:14 PM.

Paul,

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I recall someone else posting about Valerie's name being listed when the set was first released. Also, if you can, rewind the cd before "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" for the hidden bonus moments.

I may get thrown under the bus for going out on a limb... But what if Valerie is telling the truth? What if a third female singer was brought in to be coached by Valerie to approximate some of Tammi's sounds? The woman I'm thinking of is known as a belter, and later recorded a somewhat acclaimed album for Motown in that forceful style. But when I listen to one of the vaulted duets she recorded with Chuck Jackson, there are a few [and I mean very few] moments where she sings soft and low. I say to myself when I hear those sparse notes that this woman, kept restrained, could pull a Tammi Terrell. And if she was told to thrown in a southern twang in certain parts [Yvonne was born in Virginia] might do it rather well.
    I'm talking about Yvonne Fair. Listen to her extended 'ooh' at 0:08 and the first words until 0:14 of "It Must Be Love Baby" and again at 0:36-38, female ad-libs trailing Chuck 0:50 & 0:52, unison with Chuck 1:26-1:34, at 1:50, the word 'it's at 2:32. Does anyone hear what I'm hearing there?

We discussed this years ago when the Complete Duets was first released. The thread should still exist in the deep archives here. Harry W. did some investigation and reported back that the song and artist information was not uploaded by Universal/Motown but rather by a fan. Harry did not mention if the information was accurate or not. Let your ears be the judge.

Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post
    I may get thrown under the bus for going out on a limb... But what if Valerie is telling the truth? What if a third female singer was brought in to be coached by Valerie to approximate some of Tammi's sounds? The woman I'm thinking of is known as a belter, and later recorded a somewhat acclaimed album for Motown in that forceful style. But when I listen to one of the vaulted duets she recorded with Chuck Jackson, there are a few [and I mean very few] moments where she sings soft and low. I say to myself when I hear those sparse notes that this woman, kept restrained, could pull a Tammi Terrell. And if she was told to thrown in a southern twang in certain parts [Yvonne was born in Virginia] might do it rather well.
    I'm talking about Yvonne Fair. Listen to her extended 'ooh' at 0:08 and the first words until 0:14 of "It Must Be Love Baby" and again at 0:36-38, female ad-libs trailing Chuck 0:50 & 0:52, unison with Chuck 1:26-1:34, at 1:50, the word 'it's at 2:32. Does anyone hear what I'm hearing there?
    It's funny you write this, just last week I was listening to the Rita Wright set again and there were a couple of songs that made me wonder if it could have been RW singing on some songs instead of Tammi.