[REMOVE ADS]

TV One's "Unsung" returning with Bobby Caldwell, Chuckii Booker tributes and more

From SoulTracks.com-

TV One's biography series Unsung, will be returning in March 2024 with seven new episodes that we can't wait to see.
    Featured in the upcoming season will be biographies of Bobby Caldwell, Blaque, Chuckii Booker, Stetasonic, Candi Staton, Chingy, and Donald Lawrence.
    The Caldwell feature is particularly poignant, on the heels of his tragic passing last year. But we're excited to see all of these deserving artists receive the Unsung treatment.
    Over the years, Unsung has become "must watch" television for music lovers, with profiles of over 100 all-time greats, all highlighted by the memorable narration of Gary Anthony Williams.
    More to come as we hear it!

Thanks for the info. I always enjoy this series, even the episodes of artists that I am not fond of or familiar with. I especially look forward to the Candi Staton episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    From SoulTracks.com-

TV One's biography series Unsung, will be returning in March 2024 with seven new episodes that we can't wait to see.
    Featured in the upcoming season will be biographies of Bobby Caldwell, Blaque, Chuckii Booker, Stetasonic, Candi Staton, Chingy, and Donald Lawrence.
    The Caldwell feature is particularly poignant, on the heels of his tragic passing last year. But we're excited to see all of these deserving artists receive the Unsung treatment.
    Over the years, Unsung has become "must watch" television for music lovers, with profiles of over 100 all-time greats, all highlighted by the memorable narration of Gary Anthony Williams.
    More to come as we hear it!
    OK, this should be a good season

yes, Candi Staton & Bobby Caldwell will be the 2 I'm interested in.

The new season of Unsung premieres Sunday March 3, 2024 at 9PM [no futher details on when each episode is going to air as yet].

I hope the Candi Staton one delves into producer/writer/performer Dave Crawford a lot. What a talent that got shortchanged, a tragic figure of which little is documented.

the perfect way to completion was by adding Dave's lyrics as delivered by Candi Staton.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-13-2024 at 04:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I hope the Candi Staton one delves into producer/writer/performer Dave Crawford a lot. What a talent that got shortchanged, a tragic figure of which little is documented.
    I just looked up Dave Crawford on Wikipedia and yes indeed, he did a lot for the music world and we lost him too soon. Let's hope Unsung's episode on Candi Staton does justice to his work.

Dave Crawford [musician] - Wikipedia

the perfect way to completion was by adding Dave's lyrics as delivered by Candi Staton.
    I found an interview with Candi Staton at The Soul Express site from Aug. 2023. She talks about her work with Dave Crawford and other highlites from her career.

Interview with Candi Staton [soulexpress.net]

Maybe I am out of touch or maybe my tastes are to blame, but Candi is the only person on this list that I would even be remotely interested in. I have not even heard of some of the others. Guess I got spoiled by the Phyllis Hyman and others in the past. Bring on my Denise LaSalle, Ann Peebles, or Millie Jackson and I will get excited again.

I found an interview with Candi Staton at The Soul Express site from Aug. 2023. She talks about her work with Dave Crawford and other highlites from her career.

Interview with Candi Staton [soulexpress.net]

thank you for the links Eddie ! You're a nice man ! [nice job Heikki!] Apparently Crawford got so deep into drugs that he sold his music rights on the streets. When he was murdered there was no one to bury him and he was put into an unmarked grave.

This is one of my go to recordings I go to when I'm in a certain mood. This just strikes me as an example of someone putting their all into their craft. I guess because I know what happened to him it has a haunting quality and reaches me that life can be cruel even to those with a beautiful soul. At least that's what I hear in him.

I don't know to what degree Dave ever had a relationship in his life ???
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-13-2024 at 11:57 AM.

great article on Candi Staton above.If memory serves me correct without flippin through my record collection, Dave Crawford actually worked alot more with Jackie Moore then Candi Staton.

Dave Crawford wrote one of the more clever part-two lyrics of them all with Candi singing about YOUNG HEARTS and how she's " a victim of the very songs I sing "

It's a great record in every way imo. Why it didn't do better --- Dave probably waited too long with it as a follow-up and by 1978 discophobia was setting in at black and white radio stations so it fell victim to that.

I told you young hearts run free , but I didn't listen to myself
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-15-2024 at 04:21 AM.

Dave Crawford wrote one of the more clever part-two lyrics of them all with Candi singing about YOUNG HEARTS and how she's " a victim of the very songs I sing " It's a great record in every way imo. Why it didn't do better --- Dave probably waited too long with it as a follow-up and by 1978 discophobia was setting in at black and white radio stations so it fell victim to that. I told you young hearts run free , but I didn't listen to myself
    I Love Candi Staton's "Victim"! Not sure why it wasn't a bigger smash but it hit at #17 on Billboard's R&B chart so at least it wasn't a flop. While the backlash against Disco Music was brewing in 1978, there were still massive hits from The Bee Gees, Donna Summer, Gloria Gaynor and others at that time so Disco wasn't over just yet. And I enjoy Candi's recordings during this era. Along with her producer/songwriter Dave Crawford, they created an appealing blend of Disco & Soul with songs like "Young Hearts Run Free" & "Victim".

I Love Candi Staton's "Victim"! Not sure why it wasn't a bigger smash but it hit at #17 on Billboard's R&B chart so at least it wasn't a flop. While the backlash against Disco Music was brewing in 1978, there were still massive hits from The Bee Gees, Donna Summer, Gloria Gaynor and others at that time so Disco wasn't over just yet. And I enjoy Candi's recordings during this era. Along with her producer/songwriter Dave Crawford, they created an appealing blend of Disco & Soul with songs like "Young Hearts Run Free" & "Victim".
    The last time I saw Candi in concert, she had to sing VICTIM twice because it received such a great response.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    The last time I saw Candi in concert, she had to sing VICTIM twice because it received such a great response.
    Wow; didn't know that before [Thanks Resse]. It shows that the success of Candi's "Victim" went beyond record sales.

Wow; didn't know that before [Thanks Resse]. It shows that the success of Candi's "Victim" went beyond record sales.
    The concert took place at the Bowery Ballroom in NYC around the time of Candi's HIS HANDS cd.

As I said, VICTIM got a great response, especially when she sang the lines "I wonder what it is that makes a man leave a girl so all alone? Ooh people. Another woman is usually the thing." I remember being struck by the fact that many of those singing along likely weren't even alive when the song was released.

The concert took place at the Bowery Ballroom in NYC around the time of Candi's HIS HANDS cd.

As I said, VICTIM got a great response, especially when she sang the lines "I wonder what it is that makes a man leave a girl so all alone? Ooh people. Another woman is usually the thing." I remember being struck by the fact that many of those singing along likely weren't even alive when the song was released.
    delighted to hear about this.

The line I most like is:
    "Wasn't hardly worrin' about tomorrow, YOUUU were my future,... uh huh" . [she's realizing that kind of thinking kind of bit her in the ass]
    Story tellin' disco ... there's not a lot of it ... and this one goes on and on with Candi barely takin' a breath. lol! [think she delivered this in one take??]
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-17-2024 at 02:45 PM.

VICTIM was Candi's most successful club song, peaking #3 disco . Five minutes in she finally takes a breadth and steps back from the microphone :

RUN TO ME was a nice record too with a longer disco 12" pressing and at 4:20 the focus is once again on Crawford's exquisite instrumentation :

VICTIM was Candi's most successful club song, peaking #3 disco . Five minutes in she finally takes a breadth and steps back from the microphone :

On the HOUSE OF LOVE vinyl that I have, Candi sings throughout VICTIM, with no instrumental break. I have been really disappointed that this version has not seemed to make it to cd.

VICTIM was Candi's most successful club song, peaking #3 disco.
    Wow! I didn't know that "Victim" did that well on the Disco Chart. Also, I saw your earlier post about writer/producer Dave Crawford. Had no idea about his drug habit getting so out of control that he had to sell his music rights on the streets. He truly made some great recordings with Candi Staton, Jackie Moore, Wilson Pickett and others. Thanks for the info Boogiedown.

Wow! I didn't know that "Victim" did that well on the Disco Chart. Also, I saw your earlier post about writer/producer Dave Crawford. Had no idea about his drug habit getting so out of control that he had to sell his music rights on the streets. He truly made some great recordings with Candi Staton, Jackie Moore, Wilson Pickett and others. Thanks for the info Boogiedown.
    Well I'm still hoping that Dave gets a decent mention in this Unsung. He was the hero behind Candi Staton who was already in her mid thirties with teenaged children when he decided to invest so much effort in her. Not sure if he was romantically attracted to her or it was just her voice he was drawn to. Hopefully all will be revealed.

For some reason Candi jumped ship after their first album together using Rufus' then hot producer for her next album instead . When that effort sank she and Crawford got back together again. That's why VICTIM had such a lag in its release behind YOUNG HEARTS.

Well I'm still hoping that Dave gets a decent mention in this Unsung. He was the hero behind Candi Staton who was already in her mid thirties with teenaged children when he decided to invest so much effort in her. Not sure if he was romantically attracted to her or it was just her voice he was drawn to. Hopefully all will be revealed.

For some reason Candi jumped ship after their first album together using Rufus' then hot producer for her next album instead . When that effort sank she and Crawford got back together again. That's why VICTIM had such a lag in its release behind YOUNG HEARTS.
    In the notes for the YOUNG HEARTS RUN FREE / HOUSE OF LOVE cd, Candi said that she looking forward to working with Dave again after YHRF but he reneged. She also said that he was a frustrated artist and singer, and that she felt if they had done the follow-up album to YHRF that she could have been a superstar.

Warner Bros. brought them back together for HOUSE OF LOVE but had to do a lot of convincing for Candi to work with him again. She actually made them hold his money until the project was done. But he apologized and she forgave him.

They later worked on the great track WITHOUT YOU I CRY and Candi's only Sugar Hill release NIGHTLITES.
    Last edited by reese; 02-26-2024 at 05:27 PM.

In the notes for the YOUNG HEARTS RUN FREE / HOUSE OF LOVE cd, Candi said that she looking forward to working with Dave again after YHRF but he reneged. She also said that he was a frustrated artist and singer, and that she felt if they had done the follow-up album to YHRF that she could have been a superstar.

Warner Bros. brought them back together for HOUSE OF LOVE but had to do a lot of convincing for Candi to work with him again. She actually made them hold his money until the project was done. But he apologized and she forgave him.

They later worked on the great track WITHOUT YOU I CRY and Candi's only Sugar Hill release NIGHTLITES.
    I'm glad Candi acknowledges Dave's significance. She definitely would've had a stronger run of it had they maintained their momentum together.

Crawford had his own label LA Records. He put out a disco single in 1979 NY IS WHERE I'D RATHER BE ....a fun ['cause that was foremost the point of disco] spin on the Green Acres TV theme.

I've never seen it on you tube ...and I check whenever it crosses my mind ... but I remember liking it ... but don't know if I'd still feel the same ...

Crawford had his own label LA Records. He put out a disco single in 1979 NY IS WHERE I'D RATHER BE ....a fun ['cause that was foremost the point of disco] spin on the Green Acres TV theme. I've never seen it on you tube ...and I check whenever it crosses my mind ... but I remember liking it ... but don't know if I'd still feel the same ...
    While I couldn't find Dave Crawford's song "New York Is Where I'd Rather Be" on YouTube, there's a picture of the label on Discogs. And I agree that Candi Staton would've enjoyed a better run of hits if Crawford had worked with her on the follow-up to her Young Hearts Run Free LP [which would've meant more producer credits for Dave Crawford as well].

Yes that's it! thank you Mr. Eddie!

I notice NYIWIRB is said to be from an album called NEW YORK DISCO ..... an idea that never came to be ...

I think Crawford's label is very smart , nice colors.

The show on Bobby Caldwell was really good.I had no idea he had taken an antibiotic for a cold before a tour of Japan & that caused him to be wheelchair bound before he ended up dying from it.Scary.He was a BIG STAR in Japan.

Candi Staton's episode of Unsung is scheduled for Sunday March 24th at 9PM on TVOne!

Saw the Candi Staton Unsung last night & enjoyed it. Glad she & her kids seem to all be doing fine.