[REMOVE ADS]

For Bizarre : How about The Pips Performing GRAPEVINE & MIDNIGHT TRAIN Without Gladys

This is fantastic! Thanks for posting.

Not really bizarre as much as a clever bit of comedy. Right from how the group is introduced as "...... AND THE PIPS!" and the mic stand sitting there for nobody.

I remember seeing this bit with The Pips [minus Gladys] on The Richard Pryor Show back in '77. Still funny after all these years; thanks boogiedown for sharing!

It's a clever concept, but I think they should've have set up the situation .... with a better idea than the one used .... to make it make sense, give it context. They could've have had it where Gladys was supposedly caught in traffic [or whatever] and with their segment looming, it left them no choice ..... " the show must go on" type of thing.

What I like most here
    is the Pips willingness to poke a little fun at themselves.

Here is the full clip:

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Here is the full clip:

at
    :20
    "I thought he was much lighter"
    the reply is
    Who '_____'
    ....???

and at 1:40

but in your ______ ???? ....there is no cash money there......

Interestingly , at about this time, Gladys Knight & the Pips were forced to record separately due to legal issues with their record label, Buddah. During this period, Gladys Knight released two solo albums, and the Pips released two albums of their own Casablanca.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Interestingly , at about this time, Gladys Knight & the Pips were forced to record separately due to legal issues with their record label, Buddah. During this period, Gladys Knight released two solo albums, and the Pips released two albums of their own Casablanca.

Hmmmm .....was anyone really saying at the time if only those Pips sounded more like The Spinners??

I would say it is most interesting. I didn't realize that this was occurring about the same time. Now I'm kind of thinking why would you want to, at this major juncture, go on national TV and point out how nothing you are without Gladys????
    OK , I'll say it: Kinda bizarre

1:25---
    see the flying saucer standing by
    gonna try my luck and hitch a ride

I guess the subject of their desires is a martian ....
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 11-22-2023 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    at
    :20
    "I thought he was much lighter"
    the reply is
    Who '_____'
    ....???

and at 1:40

but in your ______ ???? ....there is no cash money there......
    what she says is,

" but in your face there's no cash money there."

which does not add anything to her argument for featuring the Pips on his show without Gladys since there is no cash money in any of the Pips faces either ....as evidenced by there being no close-ups of any of their individual faces during their segment.....
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 11-26-2023 at 11:11 PM.