[REMOVE ADS]

Diana and Bob and RCA - what if they hadn't divorced

was flipping through Randy's bio on Diana and happened to be rereading the section when Diana and Bob divorced. and how it's speculated that she actually regretted this decision.

We all know that Diana is a strong willed woman. and that her exit from Motown was part of a deep-rooted need for her to do things herself. and to escape Berry.

while i don't think Bob would have been able to totally dictate to Diana, she certainly did recognize and appreciate that he was NICE to her. that he wasn't the source of constant critique, that maybe he wanted really what was best for her.

so could he have been a source of consultation and guidance during the RCA years? he definitely knew the industry, even managed some groups. While it never would have grown into the level of manager/star relationship she had had with Berry, do you think that he might have helped guide her? helped her avoid some of the pitfalls? perhaps influence her choice of music and resulted in stronger albums?

We know how well husbands "managing" their wives careers work out. So, no.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    We know how well husbands "managing" their wives careers work out. So, no.
    well yes. but i think the differences between Bob and Pedro are so many, you couldn't even list them all.

and i don't think Bob should have "Managed" diana's career more so than being able to provide spousal support and guidance. plus he did know the industry so it wouldn't have been totally foreign to him.

Bob managed Billy Preston and Rufus, amongst others. But I think he and Diana once commented that they didn't want to be involved business-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    well yes. but i think the differences between Bob and Pedro are so many, you couldn't even list them all.

and i don't think Bob should have "Managed" diana's career more so than being able to provide spousal support and guidance. plus he did know the industry so it wouldn't have been totally foreign to him.
    I was referring to Flo and Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I was referring to Flo and Tommy
    haha - well that one too! although i'm sure sitting in the driver's seat of a limo, chauffeuring a record label magnet around is the fastest and easiest way to learn your craft lol.

if they had not divorced, she never would’ve gone to RCA. That entire exit was spearheaded by Gene Simmons. While I would like to think that Bob could have opened her eyes to the financial abuse that was going on, I just don’t think it would’ve happened. As we know, he was very frustrated with her relationship with Motown, and he didn’t seem to have much impact. If she would’ve listen to him, perhaps some thing would have changed earlier that allowed her to stay. A much higher royalty rate, and removal of Motown‘s hand in her live performance pocket might’ve equal 20 million in the 80s.

haha - well that one too! although i'm sure sitting in the driver's seat of a limo, chauffeuring a record label magnet around is the fastest and easiest way to learn your craft lol.
    Poor Flo, every time I think of what a nightmare it must’ve been for her, either she was so depressed that she was just wandering around in a daze, or maybe she just didn’t have a lick of sense. Or maybe both. Either way, she had the Maloik con her since her birthday and did everything wrong. The funny thing is, as ridiculous as it sounds, Tommy, being Gordy’s chauffeur, might actually make him more qualified than Pedro. If that isn’t sad,……

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    if they had not divorced, she never would’ve gone to RCA. That entire exit was spearheaded by Gene Simmons. While I would like to think that Bob could have opened her eyes to the financial abuse that was going on, I just don’t think it would’ve happened. As we know, he was very frustrated with her relationship with Motown, and he didn’t seem to have much impact. If she would’ve listen to him, perhaps some thing would have changed earlier that allowed her to stay. A much higher royalty rate, and removal of Motown‘s hand in her live performance pocket might’ve equal 20 million in the 80s.
    oh very good point about Gene!! forgot all about that. and his manager who helped negotiate

yes if she had NOT been dating Gene, maybe she would never have left

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    Poor Flo, every time I think of what a nightmare it must’ve been for her, either she was so depressed that she was just wandering around in a daze, or maybe she just didn’t have a lick of sense. Or maybe both. Either way, she had the Maloik con her since her birthday and did everything wrong. The funny thing is, as ridiculous as it sounds, Tommy, being Gordy’s chauffeur, might actually make him more qualified than Pedro. If that isn’t sad,……
    i think Flo shared with Jean their lack of enthusiasm for the entertainment industry. both are great singers but maybe a church choir was more their speed. the entertainment/record industry isn't about singing, it's about money. the work, the touring, the PR, the politics, the legal details, the endless suitcases and hotel rooms, etc.

there was some rumor that when Flo was making her comeback in 75 or so that some local cabaret was interested in her. I'm trying to draw off of fuzzy memories so not 100% sure i have it right.

But something like that could have been just perfect. if she could have had a residency at a small local club where she was one of the house performers. She could have sang, done a little entertaining and gone home. she could have been with her family every night, much more relaxed of an environment. Sure she would not have been making millions but riches can be measured in ways other than $

there was some rumor that when Flo was making her comeback in 75 or so that some local cabaret was interested in her. I'm trying to draw off of fuzzy memories so not 100% sure i have it right.

But something like that could have been just perfect. if she could have had a residency at a small local club where she was one of the house performers. She could have sang, done a little entertaining and gone home. she could have been with her family every night, much more relaxed of an environment. Sure she would not have been making millions but riches can be measured in ways other than $
    In JET magazine 1975 cover story on Flo, it was mentioned that she had two job offers: one as a day care aide for $80 a week, the other performing at the Riverboat Club in NY. Re the latter, she mentioned that she had only just started listening to the radio again. She also mentioned that she didn't know if she could perform again, that her voice had lowered from soprano to contralto, and that she would want to test her voice before she did an engagement.
    Last edited by reese; 11-20-2023 at 01:43 PM.

oh very good point about Gene!! forgot all about that. and his manager who helped negotiate

yes if she had NOT been dating Gene, maybe she would never have left
    If only. Thanks for nothing Gene, even if it did make Diana a rich woman.

I suppose an alternate question to pose would be: If Diana Ross had never dated Gene Simmons how would this have impacted her career choices? I suspect there may not have been an introduction of a more rock guitar sound in her music of this era such as Mirror Mirror, Fool for your Love and the revamped Supremes medley in her show.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    In JET magazine 1975 cover story on Flo, it was mentioned that she had two job offers: one as a day care aide for $80 a week, the other performing at the Riverboat Club in NY. Re the latter, she mentioned that she had only just started listening to the radio again. She also mentioned that she didn't know if she could perform again, that her voice had lowered from soprano to contralto, and that she would want to test her voice before she did an engagement.
    Here is a link for that Jet article: https://books.google.com/books?id=Hb...allard&f=false

Gene or no Gene I am glad that Diana left Motown. In my opinion it was about survival at that point for her and longevity. Berry reached his goal with what he wanted and now Diana was a star and wanted to be something more than a puppet.

Flo just could not pick herself up and move on and that to me in my opinion was because the people contineous around her pulled at her with negatvism. She was not with us for a long time but sometimes I wonder if she really wanted to be a solo act or just part of a group. A lot of fans at the time were hoping that Flo would return after Diana went solo. I never thought that would happen. Actually my crazy wish at the time was that Flo would get Barbara and Betty and start a new group of "Supremes".

my opinion is that Flo would have struggled regardless of career. it probably wouldn't have been as dramatic of a fall, but her mental health issues would have plagued her regardless. i think some books have mentioned that she had given some thought to nursing. even in that field, her issues stemming from the assault would have caused their own degree of problems. and if alcohol still found its way into her life, more problems. again it might not have been a fall from superstardom but it most likely would still have been destructive

as for Diana, MAYBE if Berry had given her a bit more freedom in the mid to late 70s, things would have been different. problem is though that "a taste of honey..." Diana would have wanted more and more freedom and would have been determined to manager her own career. and we all probably agree that she wasn't really a good manager.